SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Blasphemous: A worship service put on by clowns?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

Oh Lysa, since you decided to pick my Keith Daniel quote & use it for your arsensal I'll respond briefly. Really, ..... all's I can do is laugh. I'll just leave it at that. To compare what I said to clowns comforting children in hospitals is just plain laughable. There's a place for clowning around, but not in the pulpit. I'm a big fan of Vance Havner & he was an amusing preacher, but was balanced. Reading what isn't there is dangerous.

2010/9/5 10:39Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Quote:
When it comes to creating a message that transcends cultures and contexts, I honestly can say that I've never seen any message connect more successfully in more contexts then the bible

Praise God for His faithful ones!

2010/9/5 11:15Profile
Compton

Re:

I appreciate the call for not taking ourselves too seriously.:)

Still, the split reaction in this thread to using clowns touches on why we should be most conservative in the pulpit of the church. The point isn't that clowns are evil, but that they are more open to misinterpretation, in the sanctuary then in a children's hospital or carnival.

In any case, the use of clowns aren't a serious offense...just a decision that invites confusion or misunderstanding. As the saying goes, "the medium is the message."

For instance, I have some simple flutes from third world and folk cultures. Outside of the church I feel the flutes are a causal way to build bridges, but within the sanctuary of the church I am sensitive that a Native American flute has spiritual symbolism that are not part of my intentions, and that if I were to use such an instrument in front of all members of the congregation, I should at least be aware of that symbolism.

Clowns are symbols too. The sincere critique I have with clowns comes from my perspective of having spent formative years in non denominational baby boomer churches where the entire environment was constantly narcissistic and frivolous, rarely acting mature or appropriate in the presence of God. To me, these clowns represent yet another self indulgence of adult children who refuse to grow up, not an act of compassion to dying children.

Yet my point is not to decide if clowns are good or bad, but that, when it comes to the pulpit, it is not necessary or wise to deviate from the simple tried and true method of proclaiming the scriptures. Clowns are wonderful...but they are problematic messengers for the pulpit.

Oh well, we've all seen worse uses of pulpits then clown shows.

MC

2010/9/5 11:57Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

I just wanted to add that my reply to you Lysa is no rebuke @ all. I have to be very "quick" with my words on my cell or it powers down in the middle of posts. We are all entitled to our opinions. I love coming here to SI for this main reason: I love to hear straight-forward preaching of God's truth. I'd rather have Truth that corrects & rebukes me than verbal hugs & kisses that pampers my flesh.

2010/9/5 12:46Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

Hence, "The church started out as a sheep-fold, & it's become a zoo; got all kinda animals in it now." - Vance Havner

2010/9/5 15:23Profile
HeartSong

Re:

"PS: Have any of you ever heard the term, “so holy you’re no earthly good?”

Personally I am so tired of all of the clowns that I could just cry. It seems as if everyone is just laughing their way to hell and it is really hard to get anyone's attention when they are having such a wonderful time of it all - mocking and scorning my Saviour - spitting in the face of God.

Oh that God would rend the heavens and Holiness would flow over this land. Oh that the blessedness of our great and awesome God would fill the hearts of man. Oh that everything around me would be exude the holiness of God. Please come Lord Jesus - Oh Lord how we need Thee!

2010/9/5 16:10Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

Have any of you read the entire article? There's more than clowns going on that church, for example Hawaiian theme nights:

Quote:
The fun was led by Pastor Dwain Saunders and Rev. Marlene Brown, who awarded prizes for the best costume for males and females.The evening also included a limbo contest and a luau, a Hawaiian feast. Wearing a Polynesian wrap that was hand-beaten out of bark, Saunders said he came up with the theme night as a way of trying to revitalize the church's Wednesday Night Bible Study.

I was going to comment on that but in the end, there's nothing to say but, "O Lord, have mercy"

2010/9/5 19:18Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

I just don't get how professing christians can get ideas that one needs to lure folk to their congregations by entertainment instead of Christ Jesus flowing through them.

2010/9/5 20:57Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy