SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : What does God have to say about revival?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mtembezi

Nairobi, Kenya

What does God have to say about revival?

Hi,
I stumbled across this site just yesterday and had a good time downloading more sermons that I can listen to for now!

Anyway. A three weeks ago I began to believe God for revival in my country, Kenya. So I shared with a couple of people, and someone pointed me to Leonard Ravenhill. I listened to one sermon 'Revival" (I got it from ravenhill.org). As I listened God came down and simply showed me the true state of my hard heart. I wept sobbed like a child for a some time--truth be told, i even regretted having prayed for revival.

The fruit?
I went to church Sunday and refused to sing songs I didn't mean. I went to the office (ad agency) Monday morning and said I wouldn't work on accounts like condoms and beer.
I am still painfully aware of the unsurrendered state of my heart. And I pray that the more I know Him and see Him, 'the things of this world would grow strangely dim'.
For the first time I began to see people around me as souls under the wrath of God with out hope except Jesus.

So, does God want revival?

All I know is I now want to surrender all to Him, be like Him, win souls for Him and not be conformed to the world's concept of success.

I think that is good.And I desire more for myself and for my brother and sister in Kenya. Indeed for the entire body of Christ.

2004/10/28 11:23Profile
moreofHim

Re: What does God have to say about revival?

Richard,

Praise God for what He is doing in your heart!!! May He continue to reveal Himself to you more and more as the days go by.

Welcome to SI!!!

In Him, Chanin

2004/10/28 12:55Profile
Tears_of_joy

Brother,all I can see is an awesome work of God in your heart!
Be blessed and continue on!

In Christ,
Kire

2004/10/28 14:15Profile
Spitfire

Quote:
All I know is I now want to surrender all to Him, be like Him, win souls for Him and not be conformed to the world's concept of success.

This, dear friends, is revival! Praise Jesus! I understand, Brother. I am also experiencing the bitter sweet visitation of God's spirit. I will be praying for you.
Surrendered, Dian.

2004/10/28 14:41Profile
revival9

Arizona, USA

It only takes one little flaming twig to set a forest on fire. YOU be that twig. YOU be the one who breaks and cries out to God like never before. YOU plumb the depths of God and obey the Spirit's new direction for your life... and that can change everything. God promises this!

God says it over & over in His Word: 1 person, devoted to Christ, is enough to overcome the world! Jesus lived it as an example for us! The apostles lived it, the early church lived it, Martin Luther lived it, millions of unnamed martyrs lived it and the persecuted church across the world is living it today. One person at a time. One decision at a time --- toward righteousness and away from worldly things. Each step you take with God, toward God, that is what matters.

What an awesome testimony! Kenya! Lord, give this man a broken heart for everyone in his land. May he hear from You Only and step out in the direction of a holy life consecrated to You. In Jesus Name.

Mrs. Fred

2004/11/2 0:25Profile
mtembezi

Nairobi, Kenya

Re: e: What does God have to say about revival?

Quote:

...millions of unnamed martyrs lived it and the persecuted church across the world is living it today. One person at a time. One decision at a time --- toward righteousness and away from worldly things. Each step you take with God, toward God, that is what matters.

Thanks for the encouragement. Those are powerful words.
I have spent over 30 days listening every night to sermons from this site. I wish I could say I am where I want to be, because I sense that the Lord is calling me deeper than I can comprehend or perhaps am willing to go. I look around (I shouldn't) and don't see the same fire, and I must confess, I'm losing sight.
I am taking the month of December into January to read and study the entire NT. I am asking questions like:
"What do I believe?"
"What are the claims of Christ upon my life?"
"What is expedient, in light of time and eternity?"
I am sore unhappy with where I am. It is easy to settle into the mould that contemporary Christianity offers, or even stop ahead of my peers; and I don't claim to have overcome that temptation.

Please, everyone who reads this; pray:
1.that the Lord's hand would come upon, and remain on me, until my strength/will/me is broken and meekly, I would follow wherever He leads.
Whatever the cost, I want to go the distance.
Whatever I lose, it isn't worth what I'll gain––I'm preaching to myself.

2.for a revival prayer group that begins on Dec 13th.

2004/12/7 11:26Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Brother Richard,

Thank God for that discomfort that he has placed in your heart. Will be praying for you brother and the revival group, as well.

It's a good thing to reexamine some old beliefs, without any preconceptions and a willingness to have your views changed in the light of God's word and the convicting power of the Holy Spirit.

I'm still trying to understand in the spirit what it means to humble myself (2 Chronicles 7:14).

God bless you Richard.

2004/12/7 12:32Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Praise god for his move in your heart. been reading the word this day and "as it is written" If my people will seek my face. come let us reason together. I'm finding as I do as Jesus did, and do as I see the fathers works that he wants me to do, then will the greater works that is promised will come; as I seek his face.
What a blessing to see the move of the spirit in others, as he is calling his people.
will lift you in prayer Brother.

2004/12/7 14:24Profile
mtembezi

Nairobi, Kenya

How does one live dissatisfied?

Dear Br. Ed,

I need some help and perhaps someone on this forum has been through this, and can assist.

I have been listening to Leonard Ravenhill, Duncan Campbell and J. Edwin Orr for over a month. The first night God showed up, I came under such conviction and wept for some time and even over the next two days.
I know I am changed, but not enough.
And from all those sermons, I know that God can do far much more that I thought possible.

So here is my question.

How does one live dissatisfied?

How does one live in a society where God moves but doesn't 'move enough'?

How does one exist knowing that God can do far much more than many on His own--me included-- have experienced and can comprehend?

How does one remain humble in fellowships where I was content with the depth and revelation, but no more?

How do I live with myself knowing all this, and knowing that revival is a sovereign move of God, often followed by intercession that is beyond my understanding?

How can I live in an oasis when I know that there's an ocean, somewhere beyond my sight.

How does one live with the weight of eternity?
How does one live knowing that an outpouring of the Holy Spirit is the only eternal hope for a great majority of the population?

I may be missing something, and I do need some help.

All I know to do is pray like Evan Roberts,
"Bend me". "Burn me out, so You can live in me!"
I'm out of vocabulary.
I feel I have no strength to bring about change, even in myself. But I am dissatisfied and unhappy.

Because an outpouring of the Holy Spirit doesn't just mean that our services are that much more 'lively', or that our experience of the living God will be that much more rich.
There is far much more at stake.
Because to me, many millions will not come under conviction, and they face an eternal hell.

2004/12/8 5:37Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: How does one live dissatisfied?

Dear mtembezi,

You are amongst many here who have had their conscience arrested in various forms and ways. Can't speak for them nor for God and what He is doing in your heart but it is evident that the Holy Spirit is at work.

A couple of your questions stood out:

Quote:
I may be missing something, and I do need some help.

Don't think you are missing anything brother. One of the blessed things I learned through the brethren here especially as I was going through a similar time of soul searching and the Lord breaking up the fallow ground, is that of balance.

It is not usually well taken at a time such as this as it seemingly contradicts all that is happening inwardly, it's as if you want to scream "Are you kidding?" "I am being taken apart to the extreme and you want me to be 'balanced'?"

But what I am getting at is the Lords balance and that just as surely will mean different things to different saints. Take all these questions to the Lord and let Him decide which are yours to carry for as He said; "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Mat 11:29,30

That in no way is meant to slight or minimize all that is happening nor would I persuade you to 'just take easy, brother'. No, these things are necessary and productive, difficult as they are. It brings to mind and is better stated here:

"Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God." Act 14:22
Quote:
I feel I have no strength to bring about change, even in myself.

Praise God! That's the goal!
Perhaps this illustration from Oswald Chambers may benefit (By the way, speaking of 'balance', get your hands on anything he has written):

[i]"When one reads the apostle Paul, language seems completely beggard in the attempt to express his devotion to Jesus Christ. [b]Faith itself, with Paul, seems to be lost sight of and merged altogther in his personal intimacy with Jesus Christ; his is the very faith of the Son of God, which is not conscious of itself.[/b] Remember, this is not meant only for the apostle Paul, it is for everyone of us. God grant that the Holy Spirit may so kindle all our natural powers, so invade us with the power of God, that we may begin to "comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height" (Ephesians 3:18) of the love of Christ for our souls."[/i]
~Oswald Chambers

This is my prayer for you as well brother.

2004/12/8 10:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy