SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : God did not create the universe, says Hawking

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

God did not create the universe, says Hawking

God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.

In "The Grand Design", co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

Hawking, 68, who won global recognition with his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time", an account of the origins of the universe, is renowned for his work on black holes, cosmology and quantum gravity.

Since 1974, the scientist has worked on marrying the two cornerstones of modern physics -- Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which concerns gravity and large-scale phenomena, and quantum theory, which covers subatomic particles.

His latest comments suggest he has broken away from previous views he has expressed on religion. Previously, he wrote that the laws of physics meant it was simply not necessary to believe that God had intervened in the Big Bang.

He wrote in A Brief History ... "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."

In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.

"That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions -- the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings," he writes.

Hawking, who is only able to speak through a computer-generated voice synthesiser, has a neuro muscular dystrophy that has progressed over the years and left him almost completely paralysed.

He began suffering the disease in his early 20s but went on to establish himself as one of the world's leading scientific authorities, and has also made guest appearances in "Star Trek" and the cartoons "Futurama" and "The Simpsons".

Last year he announced he was stepping down as Cambridge University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a position once held by Newton and one he had held since 1979.

"The Grand Design" is due to go on sale next week.

(Editing by Steve Addison)

http://in.news.yahoo.com/137/20100903/362/twl-god-did-not-create-the-universe-says.html

2010/9/3 8:28
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: God did not create the universe, says Hawking

Oh well.

2010/9/3 8:46Profile

Re:

Who cares what he thinks? Stephen Hawkins is one of the smartest fools you'll ever meet.

Romans 1:22 "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools."

Krispy

2010/9/3 9:11
davym

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes."

To say creation is spontaneous would require absolute knowledge of the universe. Hawking, I would suggest (without having read this book), is observing what appears to be spontaneous creation of sub atomic particles. However, to jump from appearance to certainty shows an arrogance because it assumes universal knowledge. And Hawking (extremely intelligent as he is) does not possess this.

2010/9/3 9:12Profile
DHuff

Atlanta

Professing themselves to be wise .....

So sad. The professor is in for a big surprise when he stands before the Creator he denies.

A reminder for all of the need to repent and believe the Gospel.

2010/9/3 9:13Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.

This is circular reasoning. The law of gravity is not proof that the universe will create itself from nothing.

2010/9/3 9:29Profile

Re:

I remember one teenager came to me and was talking about the same thing. He was quoting Hawkings and saying that God did not create the world. This man is working as an agent of Satan to create doubts in the minds of intelligent people.

2010/9/3 10:05
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

When I was young, statements like Hawking made would cause me to doubt, the older I have gotten though I have noticed that most of these "intelligent" people's statements (particularly this one about gravity) sound smart. But really they are condescension wrapped in big words. It is almost like gnosticism. Secret religion. I have taken physics. Physicists who claim to know about the secrets of our origins are all liars. Speculation is the name of the game. Develop an image that makes people feel inferior to your technical knowledge and for some reason many people will blindly follow your blindness.

Physics has no solid answers about the universes origin. The best it can do is tell you 'how' things in our universe work.

It is really funny that he uses gravity and its effects to make a statement about God. The reason it amuses me is because physicists have been trying to resolve how gravity works since Einstein died, and they have come to know about umpty squat. For all their learning they have spent billions and billions of dollars building a super-collider in Europe with the hopes that maybe after millions and billions of particle collisions they might find a Higgs Boson, or a Graviton particle.

Scientists in our day are proving themselves to be some of the biggest hypocrites around. The scientific method demands proof for every law. When absence of proof is available they just use their secret hyperbolistic jocularity to make people feel insignificant.

However. I still would pray that this guy sees a demonstration of true faith in a believer that would be the "substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen."

2010/9/3 10:19Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: FOOL

Only the fool says in his heart
there is no GOD.

2010/9/3 12:53Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

The sad part is looking at the man he is just about at the jumping off point and he is just about to jump into hell. We need to pray that truth will penetrate his heart and that God will send laborers into that harvest.

2010/9/3 13:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy