Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Pumpkin carving and costumes

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
hredii

Fresno CA

Pumpkin carving and costumes

The church that I am attending is planning to have a pumpkinfest on October 31. They are going to have candy, pumpkin carving contest, and costumes. They are doing this with the intentions to outreach and as an alternative for the church kids, so they will not go trick-or-treating. I just heard that yesterday, and my heart cry was NO WHY OH GOD WHY? THIS CAN MOT BE!? I talked with one of the elders on the phone, after hanging up the phone about 20 min later he called back and 100% agreed. Praise God for the Holy Spirit who convicts. But I just got back from meeting with the pastor and the elder, and the pastor said he appreciated what I said but he had to go through with the pumpkinfest. Too much work has been put into it already, plus it might bring people to Christ.

A thought came to my mind right now… Imagine if leaders in the church where to start having communion with candy and soda? For the intention that it might compel youth to accept Christ so that the children could eat candy. A lot of people could come to Christ
Right? Does that sound like a good idea? OH NO!

Please pray for my church and get on your knees, consume your life in prayer, in the presence of God and ask God to tear down the devils strongholds! He will answer.

Psalms 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, The Lord will not hear.
Luke 6:30 Give to everyone who asks of you.
Jesus practices what He preaches. Let us ask together.
I ask for your prayers in this.

2004/10/27 16:26Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re: Pumpkin carving and costumes

I would like to know the thoughts of this from my dearly love family here at SI.

2004/10/27 16:41Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The church that I am attending is planning to have a pumpkinfest on October 31. They are going to have candy, pumpkin carving contest, and costumes.

At first glance the above things you have mentioned are not bad in themselves at all. I don't think street festivals or celebrations are really that bad. When the center of one of these festivals is drunkeness or other fleshy sins then it could be considered a bad thing for church members that process the name of christ to attend or support. I the case of a church having a festival for outreach I can see your weariness about it, the church cannot become like the world to win the world. I am not sure how far they are going to take it and from the outset it seems ok to me. But I am sure you know and sense more in your paticular situation.

I personally think much contextulation ministries are very weak because they take the power away of an offensive message of the cross. A message that is foolishness to gentiles, but the cross is the power of God.

2004/10/27 17:02Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

I believe you should be very concerned about this matter and you were absolutely right to express that concern to your church leaders.
My pastor has preaced an excellent message about Christians and Halloween, you can listen to it by going to the following link and clicking on "listen to resource".

[url=http://www.calvaryphx.com/tm/tape_detail.cfm?TID=8198]Tricked by Treats[/url]

Also, we have discussed the halloween issue previously on this forum, a link to that thread is below;

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=540&forum=35#3446]Halloween and Christians[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2004/10/27 17:18Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Too much work has been put into it already, plus it might bring people to Christ.

We've put alot of work into sinning also , so why wast all that work? christ payed the price for our sin's along time ago. PAYED in full and he gave his all. What of his work isn't it he whom we are trying to please. If he wants to please kids buy a candy store.. If we are to win we must follow and answer to the one Who payed the price for us.

2004/10/27 17:36Profile
Tears_of_joy

I was shocked recently when I saw in the invitation card that one very known christian organization that gave to me, it is about 3 day christian picnic and one of the things that will be done there is pumpkinfest on October 31!!!
The main purpose of the meeting is to invite non-believers there, and the things that they will gonna impress them are football,pumpkinfest,barbecue,walking in nature,parties and such things, and in invation card not a word about God or bible. Main point - you can see we are not so different from you , we are almost like you, but we believe in Jesus, you can enjoy in what world has to offer you but still to be saved :-( Winning the world being like the world - there is no such thing!
I talked with on of their leaders and quoting to him a bible verses and he openly said to me that I am giving very high standarts - actually bible standarts! He started to quote to me "It's so easy - believe and be saved"

"We say, "Just confess the Lord and you are in!"
He says, "Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom."
We say, "Just pray this prayer and it's done."
He says, "If anyone would come after me he must deny himself, take up his
cross and follow me."
We say, "Just come to the alter it will only take a minute!"
He says "make every effort to enter through the narrow door."
Who do you think is right?"
-Doctor Michael Brown

2004/10/27 17:37Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
I personally think much contextulation ministries are very weak because they take the power away of an offensive message of the cross. A message that is foolishness to gentiles, but the cross is the power of God.

Brother, this is exactly what is happening here with this organization and not only with them. The message of the cross is not preached, but is preaching not offensive messages afraid not to offend someone!

Our Lord said: Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

These are great words, Oh to understand them and live them!

2004/10/27 17:50Profile
Rahman

hredii you wrote;

Quote;
"Imagine if leaders in the church where to start having communion with candy and soda? For the intention that it might compel youth to accept Christ so that the children could eat candy. A lot of people could come to Christ Right"?

Hmmmmm .... the early Roman Church intertwined pagan ritual with Christianity, gave us Easter and Christmas, and built one heck of a Church via half way appeasing the heathen ... Very successful! ... Babylon the Great! ... Mega confusion! ... Wow! ... Even we Protestants are still tainted by celebrating those holidays, so how bad could it be?

NOT! ... i'm being extremely sarcastic here sis! ... There is nothing i think any Christian/kid/Church should be involved in that even slightly resembles Halloween, as i don't think the pagan symbols of easter eggs, and chocolate bunnies belong either ...

Take it from someone who knows, if you keep on pushing God's truth regarding such matters of compromise as this, 9 times out of 10 you're gonna get negatively labeled ... But count it all joy, because Lord knows somebody's got to do it!

2004/10/27 18:16Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re:

A few weeks ago a friend and I were passing out tracks and sharing the gospel with people in our town at a local high school football game. We approached three girls that where talking about church and cussing. I came up to them and said "Are You talking about church?" they said yes
And I said we are passing out gospel tracks, so what about church where you talking about?

They said how we are going to Catholic Church on Halloween morning then going out trick or treating at night.

I said you know that Halloween is an abomination to God?

They said yah we know.

Then my church is doing the dress up thing and having a pumpkin carving contest?

Unbelievers know those things are wrong. Where is the power of God? I don't want to live if God's glory does not come. Imagine if the New Testament church did this? I don't see it. Does the Holy Spirit lead His church to dress up for Halloween, the Spirit of Holiness? It is hard for me to deal with this. It breaks my heart. I need to keep myself in the light of Jesus; I do not want to do anything of His will in this situation. To walk not in pride or in an unloving attitude towards my church family. I pray that it would rain very heard the night of the 31st. In Jesus name.

Rahman What you wrote is exactly how I feel. I know they are compromising and mixing in peganism to grow the church. I know what you mean also.

Can you imagine one of our brothers in the Lord that pastor that I talked with; Preaching the gospel in a devils suit or mummy or what ever it may be?

2004/10/27 18:19Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re:

Well here is what happened tonight... I did not choose to go to the Pumpkin fest. I was at home when a friend of mine that goes to the same church gave me a call. He told me that the Pastor told him not to pass out any tracks. I was sad. I told him that I was going to a prayer meeting and he was more than welcome to join me. So he came over and before we left I made a sarcastic comment that we could go across the street and bring my portable amplifier and preach the gospel there at the church (there were a lot of unchurched there). After I said that it did not seem to be that bad of an idea. I prayed about it and came up with an idea. I went to talk with the Pastor and to ask him if what my friend said was true. Then I talked with him about the importance of not just living the gospel but also preaching it. His thought was that there are other ways to preach the gospel than speaking it. The way they decided to preach the gospel was to show the community that the church loved them. So I asked him for permission to preach the gospel. He said no. So I asked him for permission if I could pass out gospel tracks silently to the people there. He said no. So I asked him for permission to preach the gospel across the street to the people. He said yes that I have his permission to do that. Then I warned him that I have an amplifier and that the people might here me. I gave him to tell me that I could not do it but he allowed. So I drove across the street (it is a busy street). And after a few minutes of prayer and meditation I started to preach.

I have street preached before but I have never had something like that happen to me before.

Please pray for me and my church. I desire for my Godly brothers and sisters to pray for me and what will happen next, what will be the outcome.

I really desire any comments, encouragements, or rebukes.

2004/11/1 5:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy