SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Mankind must abandon Earth or face extinction: Hawking

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Mankind must abandon Earth or face extinction: Hawking

London: The human race will become extinct unless it leaves Earth and colonises space within the next two centuries, according to Prof Stephen Hawking, the world's most famous astrophysicist.

In an interview with the portal 'Big Think', professor Hawking has said he's an "optimist" but the next few hundred years had to be negotiated carefully if the human race is to survive.

He said, "I see great danger for the human race. There have been a number of times in the past when survival has been a question of touch and go. The Cuban missile crisis in 1963 is one of these. The frequency of such occasions is likely to increase in the future. We shall need great care and judgment to negotiate them all successfully. But I am an optimist. If we can avoid disaster for the next two centuries our species should be safe as we spread into space."

Professor Hawking has warned that mankind was entering "an increasingly dangerous period of our history".

Our population and use of the finite resources of planet Earth and growing exponentially along without technical ability to change the environment for good and ill. But our genetic code carries selfish and aggressive instincts that were a survival advantage in the past. It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster in the next 100 years let alone the next thousand or a million. Our only chance of long term survival is not to remain on Earth but to spread into space.

"We have made remarkable progress in the last 100 years but if we want to continue beyond the next 100 years our future is in space," the 'Daily Mail' quoted him as telling the portal

Source: http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/mankind-must-abandon-earth-or-face-extinction-hawking-43328?from=rightpanel&cp

2010/8/12 6:50
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Mankind must abandon Earth or face extinction: Hawking

Psalm 14v1, 'The fool has said in his heart, there is no God...'

2010/8/12 7:08Profile

Quote:
"I see great danger for the human race."

Hawking is a prophet now eh?

War and Epidemics have always controlled population growth. In 1918, they say that between 20 to 50 million people died worldwide of the Spanish Influenza, that's a lot of people. In the Dark Ages the Black Plague killed 1/3 of Europeans. I can't imagine such devastation, millions of people perished.

I heard in a prophetic utterance many years ago that God said that a disease that is worse than the AIDS virus would sweep the globe and no scientist will be able to find a remedy for it.

Canada is the second largest country geographically, but population wise it is not. The 35 million inhabitants reside along the border of the United States or thereabouts. There is much land, much resources that have not been harnessed. People like to reside where it's warm, the population in the third world countries have exploded mainly because of hardship and unemployment and arid conditions of the soil. History has shown that poverty increases population.

Hawking is wrong about man having to resort to outer space. God is the true architect when He designed the earth.

Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath "established" it, he "created it not in vain", he "formed it to be inhabited": I am the LORD; and there is none else.

God can shut down any country and make it barren for many years and then open it back up again and cause it to blossom. He created the Earth to be inhabited.

2010/8/12 9:54
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

I see great danger for the human race, too.
Judgment is coming and we need to be prepared
and ready for the coming of the LORD!!

2010/8/12 11:20Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Its a good thing that many are saying the end will come in approx. 50 to 100 years :) Of course people have been saying that for the past 2000 years. SO we may not have to leave the earth after all because there will be a New Heaven and Earth!

2010/8/12 11:33Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Does this fellow have his head buried in the sand?

One can do a search on the web and see how experts are getting so very concerned about the decrease in population globally. The USA is the only western nation who has a sustainable population. The Muslims are an exception to this trend. They are multiplying at alarming rates. By birth alone they hope to become the majority in Europe before too many years - is it 40 years?

There is so much land ion this planet that is not fully utilized for food production.

Disease? Now this does make sense. We already know about AIDS and STDs. The following is on CNN right now: "Medical tourists seeking treatment in Asia are bringing home a dangerous type of bacterial infection that’s resistant to nearly all known antibiotics, according to a new report in the journal. "http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/11/medical-tourists-bring-home-new-superbug/?hpt=Sbin

If nature is winding down, it means the end is coming closer and for this Christians cheer!

2010/8/12 11:44Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Hawking's is trying to project his atheistic fears on to the church and several will probably fall for it.

God help us all!!

Lisa

2010/8/12 12:34Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Lisa said

Quote:
Hawking's is trying to project his atheistic fears on to the church and several will probably fall for it.

Many years ago, I read Hawking's book A Brief History of Time. I would agree that Hawking is certainly not a Christian, but he seemed to have a very clear and up-front belief in God.

2010/8/12 21:31Profile

Re:

Quote:
but he seemed to have a very clear and up-front belief in God.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

It is not enough to believe in God, but it's everything to put one's trust in the name of Jesus Christ.

That is the controversy, the sword for which Christ spoke. God is just a word thrown around loosely, but we who believe in that name which is above every name, we are a marked people, a people set aside as odd, peculiar, out of step with society.

God is not energy as this age has so coined Him, above all He is LOVE. And love came down in the guise of sinful flesh and obtained a name that all the inhabitants of the earth that have not this name written on their foreheads loathe.

2010/8/13 22:11
Koheleth

NC

Re:

snufalapagus, I think you misunderstood my post. It agrees with what you have said. My only point is that Hawking is not an atheist as was claimed, one who denies that there is a God.

2010/8/13 23:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy