SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Second Coming? Or 1234?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Crux

Second Coming? Or 1234?

Is the term second coming actually in the text of the Bible?
I can't find it.
My personal hypothosis is such. And please note that it is a theory and nothing more. I am fully aware of the verse in Revelations of not adding to or taking away from that book. So I can't stress enough that this post is an exploration into the future and not nessisaraly sound doctrine. Please correct me where nessisary.
The first coming:
1. Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Second coming i.e. the rapture: Matthew 24:38
For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
39And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
40Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
41Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
42Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
Escape the tribulation? End of the age of the Gentiles? Or only the rapture of the 6th church out of the seven churches in Revelations? Those who have been given the key of David as stated in the text.
Going on about your daily work does not sound like someone in the midst of a great tribulation to me, during which most of mankind is wiped out.

Third coming Millenial reign:
Revelation 20:4-6
4And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
Revelation 20:7
7And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison

Fourth coming: Revelation 16:15-17
15Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
16And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
17And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.
The end.

2010/8/10 20:26Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Second Coming? Or 1234?

The rapture (of the redeemed) and the
second coming (return) of the LORD in
HIS glory are one and the same.
Prepare your heart and life by being
watchful, being ready, being willing
to forsake all for Christ's sake!!

2010/8/10 20:37Profile
Crux

I am also aware that many doomsday cults have arisen from misinterpreting scripture so I treat my theory with fear and trembling and not as sound doctrine in any way. Pure speculation if you will.

2010/8/10 21:26Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: Christ's Return

Quote:
crux wrote:
I am also aware that many doomsday cults have arisen from misinterpreting scripture so I treat my theory with fear and trembling and not as sound doctrine in any way. Pure speculation if you will.

That's good b/c NONE of the following verses suggest that His return or coming is plural.

Daniel 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
Daniel 7:14 And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

Acts 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

2 Thess 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

Luke 21:27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

Matt 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Mark 13:26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.

Mark 14:62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Zec 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Matt 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

1 John 2:28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

Re 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

James 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the COMING of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.
James 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the COMING of the Lord draweth nigh.

God bless,
Lisa

2010/8/10 21:42Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Crux,

In the discussion of the WORD terms have evolved to describe a concept. The terms may not appear in the Scriptures but do adequately describe a clear teaching of the WORD. Among these terms are Trinity, rapture. Orthodoxy will not dispute these concepts, but cults do challenge them. So, then, the term you are challenging "second coming" will fall into this category.

There is a serious problem that will occur when one makes a big ado about the absence of these words in the Scripture. One of two things will happen: it could destroy the faith of a weak person OR it can make one dig into the WORD to see 'whether these things are so' and in the process teach this individual to be more discerning about what they read and then believe.

My opinion...

2010/8/11 10:09Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

by Crux on 2010/8/10 22:26:17
"Is the term second coming actually in the text of the Bible?"

Not 'second' coming but there is a key term... parousia which is often translated coming, although some think it is better to translate it 'presence'.

Look it up here on the BlueLetterBible Web site

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G3952&t=KJV

click the option that allows you to "VIew Entry" in Vines and see what he has to say about it.

The BLB will give you all the usages in the New Testament.

2010/8/11 13:56Profile

Re:

Quote:
James 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the COMING of the Lord draweth nigh.

Looks pretty clear when the second coming took place, in my most humble opine.

However, there is a verse in scripture that does say something about the second coming, which the scriptures refers to a past event at some point in unrecorded history.

Here is your "Second" verse,

Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

2010/8/11 20:06
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Not 1234 in my opinion, but I must agree with sojourner7. I believe rapture and second coming to be one in the same. Here is an interesting study. Study each occurrence of "the day of the Lord" in scripture.

2010/8/12 6:33Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy