SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : THE SACRAMENT OF THE SAINT by Oswald Chambers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 THE SACRAMENT OF THE SAINT by Oswald Chambers

"Let them that suffer according to the will of God, commit the keeping of their souls to Him in well-doing." 1 Peter 4:19

To choose to suffer means that there is something wrong; to choose God's Will even if it means suffering is a very different thing. No healthy saint ever chooses suffering; he chooses God's will, as Jesus did, whether it means suffering or not. No saint dare interfere with the discipline of suffering in another saint.

The saint who satisfies the heart of Jesus will make other saints strong and mature for God. The people who do us good are never those who sympathize with us, they always hinder, because sympathy enervates. No one understands a saint but the saint who is nearest to the Saviour. If we accept the sympathy of a saint, the reflex feeling is - Well, God is dealing hardly with me. That is why Jesus said self-pity was of the devil (see Matt. 16:23). Be merciful to God's reputation. It is easy to blacken God's character because God never answers back, He never vindicates Himself. Beware of the thought that Jesus needed sympathy in His earthly life; He refused sympathy from man because He knew far too wisely that no one on earth understood what He was after. He took sympathy from His Father only, and from the angels in heaven. (Cf. Luke 15:10.)

Notice God's unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say - God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is.

2010/8/10 11:42Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: THE SACRAMENT OF THE SAINT by Oswald Chambers

Quote: 'The people who do us good are never those who sympathize with us, they always hinder, because sympathy enervates'.

How true.

Good article.

2010/8/10 12:49Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Could you help me understand that statement a bit better Enid?

2010/8/10 13:07Profile
HeartSong

Re:

When people show sympathy towards us, it causes us to look at ourselves - which is away from God.

2010/8/10 13:22Profile
HeartSong

Re:

I have often found others sympathy to be "directed" - a form of manipulation to get me to look down upon another.

One of Satan's favorite tricks is to try to get me to feel sorry for myself - and whenever he succeeds, he has caused me to look down upon God (sin), for in my self pity I have agreed with Satan that my interests are more important than the Lord's.

2010/8/10 13:39Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Hrmmm...

I think I have been in serious error about this if what is being said is true (and I am not saying it is not, I just need to bereanize this a bit) Please pray for me brothers, that I learn this aright.

2010/8/10 14:23Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

heartsong, very well put...
Sometimes those still walking in hurt,
have not yet learned what their Father was
seeking to teach them in the fires of their
lives. Its easier to blame a person, then
look at ourselves. The three men who walked
into the fire, knew He could deliver them...but went in for
His name sake. When deliverance did come...
it was noted of them...that not only were their
bindings off, but they did not smell like smoke,
or were they effected by the fire. but they were
truly free. What do we "smell" like when we
come out of trials? The aroma of Christ...
or are we still speaking of our wounds from
others? God will not join our Pity Parties...
but He will join us in any fire that we go through...
and what freedom will be ours....
DM

2010/8/10 15:04Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Would you guys agree that empathy is proper for us? And rather than being sympathetic toward others suffering we should choose to suffer with them? ("Pray for those who are in chains as if you were in chains yourself.")

Is that what Jesus meant when he said to, "Weep with those who weep?"

2010/8/11 10:04Profile
terrybob

Yorkshire, England

Re:

When Jesus said weep for those who weep - He meant it, literally. When someone is in deep trouble and prayer is offered up for them in the Spirit, tears come not of self, or pity, but far, far deeper than that. Something deep happens that brings glory to God for those who pray and the person in trouble. Look at Psalm 42 and verse 7 - for me it says it all.

God bless you in understanding His ways.

2010/8/11 10:21Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

Yes, it is by His Spirit, that we come along side our brother or sister, and weep...but we weep in Hope. When we are lead by His Spirit, we are given His heart to do it. Oswald Chambers is speaking to only one aspect of this...

To choose to suffer means that there is something wrong; to choose God's Will even if it means suffering is a very different thing. No healthy saint ever chooses suffering; he chooses God's will, as Jesus did, whether it means suffering or not. No saint dare interfere with the discipline of suffering in another saint.

Some of my Heavenly Father's deepest love and discipline in our own life, was weeping alone....which causes us to rely on Him. Both are needed in the Body of Christ. A time to weep. A time to wait...and pray.
DM

2010/8/11 12:20Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy