SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Author Anne Rice Breaks Up With Christianity via Facebook

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Author Anne Rice Breaks Up With Christianity via Facebook

Well, some stars like Amanda Bynes use technology like Twitter to tell the world they are retiring. Some stars like Kelsey Grammar announce the end of his marriage. But today Anne Rice became the first pop culture figure I know that decided to break up with Christians, and she did it using facebook.

On her official website she posted the following announcement via her facebook feed this afternoon:"I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of ...Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen." .

read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/idolchatter/

2010/7/30 6:26Profile
Nellie

Re: Author Anne Rice Breaks Up With Christianity via Facebook

This is so sad.
God Bless

2010/7/30 9:16Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

It's her loss!! Her eternal loss!!

2010/7/30 9:38Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

The article states she wrote: "I refuse to be anti-life."

Huh? It seems to me that some serious prayer is in need for this young lady. I have no idea who she is, but she has obviously been under attack by the enemy for some time, and the enemy is winning.

The article also states that she "refuses to be anti-science." Huh? What Christians are anti-science...unless your talking about creation verses evolution and a few other minor topics.

Seriously, most of what she wrote is so off kilter to begin with. Pray for her.

2010/7/30 10:23Profile
Solomon101

America's Heartand

Re:

May I humbly suggest that all judgements, accusations, and inuendos concerning Anne Rice be withheld until ACTUALLY READING her reasons and thoughts IN CONTEXT. I had no idea who Anne rice was...I had heard the name...but no idea she authored all of the books she has. However, that is a different issue.

If we will read her history..as I did this morning after seeing this post we will find she came from an atheistic background..reached out to Christ in faith... the demands and lifestyles demanding hate of some who call themselves by Christs name are what she is rejecting. I found I had to agree with much of her reasoning...she states she is not rejecting Jesus Christ but rather what many of those who claim Christ have made "Christianity" into. It is also apparent from a deeper reading of her history that she reached into the Catholic Church when she was seeking for answers.

THE FOLLOWING ARE FURTHER QUOTES ABOUT HER DECISION DRAWN DIRECTLY FROM HER WEBSITE..ONES MANY OF US CAN AGREE WITH!

As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.
See More
Wednesday at 10:41am

(unfortunately a good amount of what I see from so called "christians" simply amounts to what they are against and can label as heresy. normally it is just their opinion rather than actual Biblical fact. very sad)

For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten ...years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.See More
Wednesday at 10:36am
(I certainly can understand and agree with much of this. Unfortunately many of those accusations are accurate to what the world sees in the so called "church")

My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become.See More
17 hours ago
(I can certainly say an amen to that)

End Quotes

It seems there may be a good deal more here than is on the surface. I don't know about anyone else... but a lot of what she expresses is felt in my heart as well. It is not an issue with Jesus..I love Him and have a relationship with Him. It is those who also say they have a relationship with Him...but their actions and words show me He is not in their heart. I have a problem with those who proport themselves to be Christ's ambassadors and do not demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit or the power of the Spirit. As Leonard Ravenhill said, "The world out there isn't waiting for a new definition of Christianity..it is waiting for a new demonstration of Christianity". Truer words were never spoken. Anne Rice and her decisions seem to be a prefect example of that truth.

2010/7/30 10:52Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Solomon, I did take the time to look at her website. Before this article was posted, I had no idea who or what she was. After I looked over her website, I can understand some of what she said, but most of it is off kilter.

I will challange your agreement with Anna's quote of "The world out there isn't waiting for a new definition of Christianity.. it is waiting for a new demonstration of Christianity."

Think about that statement. Just think about it. What is this truly saying? Lets use her owns words and see if we can come to some sort of conclussion on what her "new demonstration" is?

Anna wrote:

"In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of ...Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen"

Nothing wrong here?.?.?.? Seems she is echoing EXACTLY what the apostles were speaking of with this banter...NO. She is talking about re-shaping Christianity into what SHE wants it to be and what SHE wants it to incluse/exclude. This is your basic second commandment breaking...making a god in our image of what He should be like.

She needs prayer.

2010/7/30 11:05Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Christianity is NOT the fashion of the day,
the flavor of the month, not some club you
can join or quit!!
To use the name of Christ and not understand
that you are for HIM, in HIM, of HIM, is
vain!!

2010/7/30 11:26Profile
Compton

Re:

In all honesty, she is making a lot of hullabaloo about the same internal struggles most of us have. I've broken up with organized religion about a thousand times. (edit: But I should never hope to separate myself, or distinguish myself publicly or privately in any way or manner from the Church, the communion of the saints!)

Perhaps as a novelist, she has a flair for the dramatic, but who among us hasnt wrestled with how to relate with all of the crazy vocal segments of Christianity? If she thinks that Christians are some monolithic uniformed clone army, she is being naive and simplistic. Indeed, if I could resolve the conflicts in my heart and intellect regarding all of the issues she listed simply by announcing "in the name of Christ, I am no longer Christian" then sign me up. Unfortunately such a sematical solution won't just make these very real and unavoidable moral and spiritual battles just disappear.

I never professed an allegiance to her angry stylized portrait of Christianity in the first place. Apparently she's needing to purge certain attitudes from her own conscience, and doing it publicly offers her some theraputic closure. I guess I can understand the emotion of that. I would only caution her to not break up with one form of self-righteousness merely to be seduced by another.

Mike

2010/7/30 11:31Profile
Solomon101

America's Heartand

Re:

Miccah- You stated

Quote:
I will challange your agreement with Anna's quote of "The world out there isn't waiting for a new definition of Christianity.. it is waiting for a new demonstration of Christianity."

Well...I do agree with that statement. However it wasn't me or Anne Rice that made it. It was made by Leonard Ravenhill. You will find it on Revival Hymnn on this site. Currently number 3 under sermon recommendations. Wow..so you also reject Ravenhill and Revival Hymnn. Wow...

If you will reread my quote it is
Quote:
As Leonard Ravenhill said, "The world out there isn't waiting for a new definition of Christianity..it is waiting for a new demonstration of Christianity". Truer words were never spoken.

Miccah-you further quote Mrs. Rice
Quote:
"In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of ...Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen"

and then in response you state

Quote:
Nothing wrong here?.?.?.? Seems she is echoing EXACTLY what the apostles were speaking of with this banter...NO. She is talking about re-shaping Christianity into what SHE wants it to be and what SHE wants it to incluse/exclude. This is your basic second commandment breaking...making a god in our image of what He should be like.

Well MIccah..I again say let us simply use her words..

If a persons so called "Christianity" consists of simply being

"I am anti-gay. anti-feminist. anti-artificial birth control. anti-Democrat. anti-secular humanism. anti-science. anti-life" then who would want to be part of that. I obviously don't embrace some of those lifestyle choices..but she did not say she did either. For example she seems to be rejecting the idea that "to be a Christian" is synonomous with being "anti democrat". She simply said the organized institutional religion she had been working within for the last ten years defined being a "Christian" as simply being against these things. If you would read her information in context you will find she plainly states,
Quote:
I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group.

She isn't leaving Jesus... but the quarrelsome, fault finding, knot picking, anti EVERYTHING, heresy screaming self righteous folks that call themselves the "Church". She is leaving the institutional church...not Jesus Christ the Lord and Savior.

Again, I never knew who Anne Rice was before today...but the reasons she gives for her decisions are understandable. Miccah... you attacked her based on a direct quote by Leonard Ravenhill... no wonder the world is fleeing the so called "church" and choosing to go it alone in a relationship with Jesus and a few close friends and mentors.

May God have mercy on we judgmental and puffed up followers of His. Jesus forgive us..we are so merciless.

2010/7/30 11:36Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I know nothing about this lady other then what I read here on this forum...

This morning as I was studying the WORD, meditating, my mind went back many years. There were many of us young mothers with lots of children amongst us all, and we would meet frequently for edification and socialization. For inspiration we would study some inspirational book. One time we used Rosalind Rinkers book - I forgot the title.

Rinkler wrote much about love, love, love. How one should be slow to judge another, but we must love, pray love for them, if I recall.

"Christianity Today" mag has taken many polls asking people to rate the book[s] that had the most profound influence on their spiritual lives. Rosalind Rinklers books consistently rate among the top 100 books as being the most influential in the lives of many.

This same magazine has also reported Rinkler to be the darling of the religious (Christian) gay community. She has spoken at their events. (If you were to google her name this info is on the web.)

With this kind of reputation, I threw my book into the garbage. A person who can speak at a gay convention about the love of Jesus and not challenge people to repent is not speaking for God.

This message of God's love has been used to pervert the truth of God's love, saying that God will love you anyways and that he understands your struggles and will accept you as you are. When God accepts us, he will also work to change us into his image.

My two cents for whatever it is worth...

ginnyrose

2010/7/30 11:41Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy