Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Bible Contradictions

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Bible Contradictions

As Rich Mullins said in a light hearted way,

"if you really want spiritual nourishment, you should read the
scriptures, it'll confuse you to death,practically but you're gonna die anyway so why not go out doing something good."

I'm currently pondering how Salvation is free but to be Jesus's disciple it will cost everything.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast."

Ephesians 2:8-9

"any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple."

Luke 14:35
Can anyone explain how that fits because if one just looks at it, it's an obvious contradiction.

2010/7/18 9:41
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Bible Contradictions

I always think of the 1849 gold rush in America when thinking of this topic. In 1849 they discovered gold in California. It was yours for the taking if you wanted it. But you couldn't mine for gold if you continued to live on the East Coast. You would have to give up everything in order to obtain the treasure out West. You could not be on the East Coast and West Coast at the same time. One coast would cause you to forsake the other coast.

2010/7/18 13:34Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Yes; JESUS is our great example and
HE left the glories and splendor of
heaven to become to Son of Man and
HE willingly sacrifice all so we could
have hope, joy, life, and peace in
HIM forever!! HIS life was surrender,
sacrifice, and self-denial!! HE lived
for the glory of GOD, for the purpose
of GOD, for the will of GOD!! We must
do the same.

2010/7/18 16:03Profile

Re:

That's a great analogy but it's still kinda confusing. Maybe that's as clear as it's gonna get? I'm not sure why God made the Bible so ambiguous. I believe in black and whites so this is really hurting my brain

2010/7/18 19:56
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

To be more blunt in case the analogy is confusing: if you were to grab something with both of your hands, you cannot grab something else without letting go of what you are holding on to.

The grace of God is a free gift. But it is the free gift that will cost you everything to partake of it.

2010/7/18 21:08Profile
rbanks

Re:

I really like the posts by Jimmy.

Here is something else to consider.

The scripture is stating that salvation is the gift of God to the one who trusts in Jesus who made atonement for our sins. We are sinners and therefore can’t earn it or buy it because Jesus is the only one who could pay the price for our redemption.

When the scriptures talk about renouncing everything in order to be his disciple, he is not saying that we are to earn or buy discipleship because salvation is still a gift from God fully paid for by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. He is saying that we must give up everything that would hinder our full devotion to the one who loves us and gave himself for us. The gift of eternal life in Jesus Christ is so precious we must give up everything that is not from the Lord. We have a new master and Lord now and we are to love him with our whole heart.

The gift of eternal life changes everything and you are a new person and you must give up the old life. For example let’s say you live in a broken down mobile home worth about $5000 and you are trying to save to get a better home but you are a long ways from getting there. A friend comes by and see’s your situation and says to you I have a house on 1st street and let’s say it is worth $200,000 that he is going to give you. He tells you that there is no way you can pay him for what it is worth because you don’t have that kind of money. He says to you that he is going to give it to you as a free gift but you will have to move into it and live on 1st street. He says to you that he doesn’t want any payment or your mobile home but you must give up your mobile home and where you live now. You see brother eternal life is an exchanged life where you give up your old life for a new eternal life. You don’t add on to what you already have but you give up everything in this life for eternal life which is far better.

Blessings to you!

2010/7/18 21:32Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

I have had this same question in my heart as of late, codek.

thanks for having the courage ask it!

These analogies were very helpful.

Seek ye first the Kingdom.

Perhaps it's the exchanging of Kingdoms as well. How can we live for two kingdoms?? If you want the Kingdom of God and to live unto Him, we must forsake all of which this world holds dear, longs for, and desires.

Oh to be more like Him and seek the things that He longs to give us!

2010/7/18 22:10Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

I believe it is a gift in the sense that God gave it to us voluntarily, He was in no way obligated to do so. I would not insert the word "free" here anywhere just because this is how we understand the word gift in our culture.

Obtaining our salvation wasn't "free", it cost God everything, His very own Son, and so in turn we lay down everything out of thankfulness for what He has done for us. If we don't, we do not fulfill the most important commandment to love the Lord our God with all our hearts and minds and souls. Does that make any sense?

2010/7/18 22:20Profile

Re:

StarofGod

haha. thx. I am going to ask all the ambiguous questions that everyone is pondering. Naturally, I can't just leave that alone.

2010/7/19 1:13

The high cost of being Jesus' disciple does not earn salvation.

The high cost (our present obedience) does not save us from the punishment we deserve for our past sins.

God's forgiveness saves us from the punishment we deserve for our past sins.

The high cost (present obedience) makes us acceptable to God in the present.

The high cost does not make our past acceptable.

We need God to forgive us to save us from getting what we deserve on judgment day.

2010/7/21 21:19

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy