SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : New book series challenges 'Left Behind'

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 New book series challenges 'Left Behind'

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

The publishers of "Left Behind" are launching a new series that challenges the end-times theology of the phenomenally popular books by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins.

Illinois-based Tyndale House Publishers says the first book in the new series, "The Last Disciple," by "Bible Answer Man" Hank Hanegraaff and award-winning fiction author Sigmund Brouwer, asks the question, "What if the prophecies of Revelation have already been fulfilled?"

The opposing interpretation of the Bible is presented in a historical novel centered in first-century Rome and Jerusalem, the publishers say, as "these historical sites begin to experience the turbulence Christ prophesied as the beginning of the 'last days.'"

"Tension mounts as a villainous adversary seeks to find the disciple John's letter (the book of Revelation) and destroy it," a promo reads. "As a result, the early Christians must decipher a mysterious code in order to survive."

Hanegraaff, president and chairman of the board of the evangelical-based cult watchdog Christian Research Institute International, hosts a daily radio program, "Bible Answer Man," that boasts more than 6 million listeners a week.

"This series of novels constitutes one of the most significant projects I have ever been privileged to be involved in," Hanegraaff said in a statement. "Indeed, this initial novel is intended to be the first 'shot' in a debate that I believe will produce a paradigm shift -- a change in the way many in the church look at the end times."

He hopes the book will help people "read the book of Revelation, as well as the rest of Scripture, through the eyes of the early believers to whom it was originally written."

2004/10/22 19:24Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: New book series challenges 'Left Behind'

Sounds interesting?!?
So we have LeHayes 'futurist novels', and now we are to have Hannegraff's 'preterist novels'(at least that is what the introduction sounds like). Watch this space for the historicist and idealist novels?

Greg
As CCBC has pretrib/premill as part of its Doctrinal Statement I suggest you wait a couple of years before reading Hannegraff's novels. :-P

2004/10/23 7:39Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Is Hangergraff really a preterist? That's new on me. But ah well, I didn't really think him to be saved to begin with.

2004/10/23 7:42Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Used to listen to Ol Hank quite a bit, God bless him for his stand on exposing the many false doctrines of our day, very instrumental in confounding and eventually leading me out of the whole WOF type things we were caught up in.

Know that he has kept his views on eschatology a somewhat guarded mystery to his listeners and that according to himself was because he was still processing it all. Wonder if this is a crack into his thinking.

Ron, I am with you here, had the same reaction. Also recall hearing a show when he had on Gary DeMar (a partial preterist) and it really threw me for a loop, sent him an email at the time and got a reply but was quite troubled by the whole thing for quite awhile.

All this grinding over 'this generation'...
No thanks, I am staying in the 'pan' camp and as far away as possible from all this extraneous brain strain to no avail.

2004/10/23 8:16Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Is Hangergraff really a preterist? That's new on me.

I based my comment on this quotation...
Quote:
Illinois-based Tyndale House Publishers says the first book in the new series, "The Last Disciple," by "Bible Answer Man" Hank Hanegraaff and award-winning fiction author Sigmund Brouwer, asks the question, "What if the prophecies of Revelation have already been fulfilled?"

2004/10/23 9:14Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

To add to Ron's comment, a guess might be 'partial'. Which only reminds one of [i]1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.[/i]

Being that I still am struggling through the part of knowing which part of 'knowing in part' that I know or parts of that part, I will now depart...

Good grief...

2004/10/23 10:16Profile
riki

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

Being that I still am struggling through the part of knowing which part of 'knowing in part' that I know or parts of that part, I will now depart...

Good grief...

:knockedout:

Mike, you are a treasure!! :-P

2004/10/23 12:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy