SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Filipino Christians please respond

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
beatenpath

Filipino Christians please respond

What are your thoughts of born again Filipino's being fixated of watching TFC like everyday as much as they can? For those who are scratching their heads TFC is a Filipino channel with game shows and soap operas from the Philippines. It seems like every time I go to their bible study they have their tv's on the TFC channel. Thoughts?

2010/7/2 23:05Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Filipino Christians please respond

Well I'm not Filipino, but I do have a 1/4 Filipino granddaughter ;0). However my opinion it that these things are just time suckers. The soap operas, if they are like the USA, are all about adultry, cheating, fornication, etc. There is nothing godly in them. I gave up watching them in 1976 when I got saved. They are a total waste of kingdom time.

2010/7/3 0:20Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Saints,

TV's are brainwashing tools that will not help you grow in your Christian walk. David wilkerson called them "babylonian idiot box's". I believe it is a time where no Christian should watch cable TV and browse channels.. you WILL defile yourself by doing that.

I am not saying this as a rule but rather as what I feel is good for my walk with God and I am not imposing it on others, it is just my opinion. But here is a good rule. When you are watching a channel and your run across a sexual scene or swearing, blaspheming or something wrong, then simply change the channel. But once you run out of channels turn off the TV. I guarantee you would have to turn off your TV in one hour if following that pattern.

2010/7/3 0:30Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

an hour?? that's a long time!! animal planet isn't that exciting ;)

2010/7/3 12:04Profile
RepentPinas

I'm a filipino. And I think many Filipino Christians have been deceived in wasting their precious time on this deifliing things. There's alot good things to say about the Church here in the Philippnes but what had happened is that even in many popular Churches the central attraction is nothing but entertainment. The celebreties and the kind a high class people thinks that joining a born again Church is being in a popular trend nowadays, here. The pragmatic approach in many Churches are usually molded by what's hip in the t.v.

I personally give up wasting my time in the television more than 2 yrs ago, but I watch news and good documentaries. David Wilkerson's book 'set the trumpet on thy mouth' is I think one of the best warning on the spiritual danger t.v. for any Christian. Ps 101:3
"I will set nothing wicked before my eyes;I hate the work of those who fall away;It shall not cling to me." Really most of the soap operas here in the Philippines is full of stupid and immoral stories. I remember what Keith Daniel said that if you stayed long with an unbeliever it is possible that his spirit will be opened to you and be tranferred. Before when I used to watch t.v. as a new Chiristian I didn't know that the harsh and stupid attidtude of a cult preacher in tv got in to me. And there's alot of garbage that could enter to you through the tv programs in the philippines. Let us remember that unless we surrender this idols there will be still no revival; even if we are on our knees in desperation.

2010/7/3 12:51Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

Brother, I believe what is happening in the Philipines in that area is most likely no different from what is happening in North America.

I have observed how TV has changed our daughters' attitudes(among other influences)for the Christian walk of faith, how it has made my husband neglect his responsibilites and how it has affected my prayer life negatively and wasted huge amounts of our time. For that reason we gave up TV altogether since August 2009 and it is one of the best decisions we have ever made. Once you get a bit of a distance to it, you can see it's devastating influence a lot more clearly.
While on the one hand I don't want to tell people what to do, I will not hide my conviction that anyone who truly wants to follow Christ closely must get a grip on his/her TV'use and reduce it to very select programs or if they do not have that self-control to get rid of it altogether. I had tried to reduce TV time and it never worked for long. Giving away your TV works! :)

2010/7/3 14:38Profile
beatenpath

Please pray for the fellowship that my wife and I help in. They're called Kodiak Bible Chapel Filipino Fellowship. I've grieved about this issue with my wife and it's kind of like a stumbling block for me when I go to their bible studies. Most of the shows on TFC have always some sort of sexual content in it. Specifically pray against the deaf and dumb spirit in this group and maybe for all born again Christians around the world. Thanks.

Jr

2010/7/3 15:00Profile
RepentPinas

Re:

Yes Sir! I believed that it will be good if you could lovingly tell them the truth about the programs that they are watching. I'll pray for you and for that Church!

2010/7/3 15:09Profile
artemioL

If they are believers, you need to rebuke them in love, especially if they put it on during Bible studies. You need to have the conviction for yourself, why you believe it's wrong, some Bible verses and principles, and share it. Prayer is the best work, but it being solid, and knowing why you are against it, before rebuking them is best. Whether they listen or not is a whole nother question.

2010/7/4 2:36Profile
corey90

If it is for the mean time, spending spare time watching television is okay, but they should be aware that addiction on soap operas and games show is not a leisure. They should be spending more time in listening in God's word.

2010/7/4 21:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy