SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Movie Ministry?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DesertRose

Boston.MA

Movie Ministry?

There are very definite worldviews in many movies. What do you think of showing popular movies (ex. The Dark Knight) in church, on a weeknight, for evangelism or to stimulate discussion on what drives the culture's passion or interest?

2010/6/7 9:10Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Movie Ministry?

"I think" it is total garbage. A complete sham, and equivocal to Idolatry. "I think" it is Jude 4, I also think it is Jeremiah Chapter 11. "I think" it is a total disgrace and would be something that would make Jesus Vomit.

That is what I think...

There is enough in the word of God to stimulate a jillion discussions...when one has a heart to hear from Him with humility.

2010/6/7 9:15Profile

Re:

I agree... the problem in the church is not that people are not watching enough movies. The problem is that no one is studying enough Bible.

These kind of evangelistic (if they can be called that) efforts basically say "God's Word is not enough to draw men... we have to conceive all manner of other ways to draw men... because God can't get the job done."

I contend that God is not drawing near as many people to Himself as we think.

Krispy

2010/6/7 10:11
mguldner

Kansas

Hum maybe if they used movies that were good for the spirit, there are plenty of Christian movies that they could show that would be glorifying to the Father and presented the Gospel message of Christ. The Dark Knight should hardly be church approapriate or even Christian appropriate. Anything that blurs the lines should be off limits. Our culture needs the bible and prayer and Jesus not a movie night to discuss our culture we already see what our culture can do to the church why mingle with it?

2010/6/7 10:34Profile
jerryaustin1

Louisiana

Re:

Gifts for the church were apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers. Nowhere does it state actors. i realize there may be some good in some cases. There may have been help received. It may have been in spite of it, not because of it like i've heard one preacher say.

2010/6/8 2:11Profile
DesertRose

Boston.MA

Thanks for your feedback.
I mentioned the Dark Knight because this is the movie that will be shown at our church. I am deeply troubled that a movie so graphic in violence (have not seen it but read reviews) would even be considered. And I even question myself, thinking perhaps I am the one that needs to change.
How do I approach the leadership of our church? I would like to know if anyone has experienced the "assault" (is that too strong a word?) of the world upon the church in this manner.
Philippians 4:8 comes to mind as a defense.

2010/6/8 6:24Profile
savannah

DesertRose,

You ask, "How do I approach the leadership of our church?"

Firstly, you yourself must be convinced in your own mind, and have a thorough conviction regarding this issue. Find God's mind on it and obey Him, and then you will know what you must do.

You ask, "What do you think of showing popular movies (ex. The Dark Knight) in church..."

As I have sought God on this, from drawing near to Him and from His revealing Himself to me in regard to His Person (His attributes), I can assure you that He finds such to be detestable. Such is a mere attempt in the flesh to reveal spiritual truth to man, which only His Spirit, and spiritual means, can. That which is of the flesh is flesh, and the flesh profits nothing

Listen to Howard Douglas King read an article at the following link, the article was written about 60 years ago. It may help your understanding, by God's grace:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=13545

You may purchase the article in booklet form here:

http://www.awtozer.com/new_booklets/the_menace_of_the_religious.html

You may read it online here:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/tozermovie.htm

2010/6/8 7:35Profile

Re:

Focus on the Family has a website that reviews movies and they give you a list of the cuss words in the movies, and how many times they are used.

I remember them saying in the Dark Night they profane the name of the Lord 4 or 5 times.

If a church is showing this movie... they are guilty of the same by showing blasphemies against the Lord.

Krispy

2010/6/8 9:21

Re:

(Characters abuse Jesus' name three times, God's name a half-dozen times (once, pairing it with "d--n").)

This is from Plugged In, Focus on the Families movie review website.

Now, granted, compared to most movies the language in Dark Knight is "mild"... but isn't it funny that we're more offended by the "F" word than we are blasphemey?

If a movie blasphemes the precious name of Jesus, a church is doing the same when it presents it and encourages people to come see it.

So now we blaspheme Jesus in order to win the lost?

What foolishness.

Krispy

2010/6/8 10:20
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I just saw this quote a friend of mine posted from Art Katz that really applies to this conversation.

"If there is a fellowship of believers that languishes in it's superficiality, looking for something outside itself to spice up it's services, it will never find God." Art Katz

I agree Krispy, the blasphemy is bad, but how do we lay the axe to the root of this tree? The symptom is far deeper than just allowing blasphemy to be uttered in a church building. The blasphemy is only the rotten fruit on the branch. (As I always do, I speak generally, I do not know this church but it is a symptomatic issue in many many supposed congregations today.)

And sister DesertRose: Ask God for wisdom on how to approach this problem, if you are Spiritual, or know a brother who is Spiritual, both of you approach it from wisdom in the word that God has granted you. But don't hem and haw when he gives you the wisdom lest you be as a wave driven and tossed with the wind.

2010/6/8 11:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy