SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sinlessness of Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
jerryaustin1

Louisiana

Re:

ponder on my previous post

2010/6/12 15:06Profile

Re: Sinlessness of Christ

Travis, thank you. I'm blessed you were blessed. :-)

I'm rarely online with leisure to read these days, so I apologise to all, for seeming not to reply directly to posts.

2010/6/12 16:17

Hi jerryaustin1,

Titus 1:2

Quote:
It all boils down to whether deity can sin. He can not. While Jesus became flesh (John 1:14), He was also God (Colossians 2:9). Scrupture testifys that it is impossible for God to lie (please forgive the lack of reference but you can look it up). If it is impossible for God to lie, is it possible Him to commit any sin? I realize that He was really man and that no less than I am. Being a man involves freewill. But we must take note of something else. He was also God. Being God involves the inability of sinning. So you have freewill and the inability to sin. He had the choice to sin but it was something that was impossible that He would do it.

"Being a man involves freewill."

Why is that? It's because man was made in God's image.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

(Paul Washer says that 'the only begotten' means that Jesus was in a class by Himself. It's helpful to have the Greek more clearly explained.)

John's statement harks back to Gen 1, where God's word became light, or anything else He wanted it to be. Thus, it's impossible to separate Jesus who is Man from Jesus who is God. He simply 'is' human and divine both totally and simultaneously.

What He demonstrated is that total integration between flesh and spirit on God's terms, wherein 'the flesh' can 'not sin' because it is totally controlled by God the Spirit. Not like a remote control controls a car, or the tv, but like the Spirit fills every part of the flesh and its functions.

I'm not sure what God being unable to lie has to do with this.

Sin is unbelief. Unbelief is a demonstration of believing a lie rather than the truth as it is in Jesus.

Jesus did not have an inner sin life trying to get out through His flesh, but, His flesh was subject to temptation from outside, to passions which tried to pull His flesh off course to separate it from His Spirit, thus creating disunity in Himself.

2010/6/12 16:44
rbanks

Re:

Scott,

In one way brother you are right in that He could not sin because He had no desire to sin because He had the nature of God.

But we must also realize that He emptied himself from the form of God and was made into the likeness of men and humbled himself as a man filled with the Holy Spirit under obedience to God His Father having a divine nature without any trace of a sin nature in Him. As a man He subjected himself to be totally dependent upon His Father to do His Father’s will only with the divine enablement of the Holy Spirit to live out His sinless life and minister the gospel message.

So He could have sinned if He had of ever given into the temptation of the devil to disobey His Father in any area. But praise God He always did those things that pleased His Father. This is why He got up a great while before day and prayed and also praying all night before even choosing His disciples. This is why He stayed full of the Holy Spirit and was always led by the Spirit and therefore He never sinned not even one time.

We are different in that we were born with a nature of sin and also prone to sin. We must be born again and be filled with the Spirit and to walk in the Spirit to be cleansed of sin by His precious blood and to also overcome our sinful nature by putting it off and being dead to sin. We must walk in the Spirit and we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
Hebrews 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
Hebrews 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
Hebrews 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
Hebrews 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Hebrews 4:14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

He came into this world as the second man from heaven as Adam being the first and we know that the first man was disobedient and sinned. Jesus had to come and partake of our human nature in order to destroy the works of the devil for us. He took part of our nature but not part of our sin. He had the same nature of Adam before he sinned. We receive this nature as a new man in Christ. The seed of Christ living in us will cause us to overcome all temptations of the devil if we grow in Christ and be filled, controlled, and led by the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ is our High Priest in heaven always interceding for us who are in Christ. We are regenerated by the Holy Spirit and filled with the Holy Spirit so that Christ’s “will” is being carried out on this earth through our obedient faith.

The point is that Christ Jesus was tempted in every way that any of us could ever be tempted in and he didn’t sin so He is able to help us not to continue in sin. We are human but Christ also became human and everything that was available to Christ as a human is available to us as a human in Christ. We must not think that he couldn’t of sinned because there are sins of omission as well as commission and He could have disobeyed the Father in even a very small detail, but praise God he didn’t disobey even unto the death of the cross. Even though he had the power not to suffer he suffered any way according to the will of God. He suffered for our sins so we could be made the righteousness of God in Him who never sinned.

The argument of flapping our arms and flying to Mar’s is far-fetched because we were never created as a human with any capability to do so but Christ was made in the likeness of man and subjected himself to be obedient to the Father and therefore being capable of being disobedient but thank God he never disobeyed. We are so blessed!!!

Blessings to You!

2010/6/12 17:11Profile
andres

texas,brownsville

Re:

I read this somewhere,
"When the devil tempts us, It's as if he shoots a flaming arrow into gasoline, It ignites all kinds of thoughts about disobeying God..
on the other Hand, when The devil shot his flaming arrows at Christ, it was like shooting them into water,they were put out.." Jesus never got inflamed on the inside to lust after a women, or steal... His heart was always directed to His Father...
So was Jesus Tempted .. Yes.. Did he ever think once about sinning .. NEVER!
Much Love
andy

mu

2010/6/12 17:20Profile

Re:

I believe the bible teaches that we can live above sin. Though I believe it, I don't believe it's possible, even though all things are possible with God. When your young and filled with spiritual ambition a lot of those ideas seemed to be a fantasy that one could arrive at. When you get older, you begin to realize that nothing is a fantasy, the reality is Jesus Christ and Him crucified and the believers continual journey carrying a cross. I think happiness in Jesus is found in sorrow and grief at least so far that has been my experience.

2010/6/12 18:06
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

If Jesus was unable to sin then He wasn't fully man, and the incarnation didn't really happen. His being fully God does not put a limitation of His humanity as a man. Such is shown in the fact He died. Not only that, but in His death He became sin on the cross. If Christ could not sin when He was tempted, then neither could He have become sin and die on the cross. Yet He did all these things being fully God in His incarnation.

Hope this helps you.

Jimmy

2010/6/12 18:33Profile

I have tremendous difficulty with the idea that when the English translates the Greek to 'emptied', it means His DIVINITY drained out of Him in the way some of you seem to think (or, the way you write, seems to read).

The way I read it is more that BEING DIVINE, He did not let His Divinity rule over His humanity, as is so often believed by some who wish to give themselves an excuse to sin, saying that HE didn't sin, because as God, He found it easy to not sin; whereas He had come to show us how a man could live in fellowship with God, rejecting sin and triumphing over it, as a necessary part of preparing to endure the cross. But always, He had the prize of victory over death in sight, and despised the discomforts which attempted to rob Him on the way to that victory, that we could become partakers of the divine nature.

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that [pertain] unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: 4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

2010/6/12 18:59
rbanks

Re:

Alive-to-God,

I very much enjoyed all your posts.

Thanks for sharing.

2010/6/12 20:34Profile

rbanks, thank you. I am humbled.

2010/6/13 7:05

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.