SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is dualism?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jiyouk

What is dualism?

Hey guys.
I was reading a good solid Korean book regarding the problems of the current Korean church and it was very gospel centered and all good.

Well, I'm up to the middle of the book and it says that the church must overcome dualism. Dualism, as he explains it, is the view that spiritual things are good while wordly things are bad. For example, do you view worship as more holy or eating more holy? He says that there are two different meaning of "world" in the bible. One is "For god so loved the WORLD" where the world is used positively. ANd Do not love the WORLD or anything in the WORLD.. so on.

Dualistic views come from hellenisitc points of view and so on.

Well, my question is shouldn't our world view be dualistic?
For example a person who is working because he trusts in himself and says he's doing it for God, but actually is just a life of his own. thats bad. that's of the world.

But a person who has given himself to God. Is open to everything, fully obedient and is doing work really in God. It's good. And if this person really has the heart of God, he will obey the command to preach to the nations in whatever way he can fill in and in whatever way God tells him to.

So what I kind of have chikcken pox for is the thinking, "hey, deviding the line between not holy and holy is nonsense. Eveyrthing you do is holy if it's done in God." in my view, this brings about christians who just live their own lives when Christ told his disciples "to bury their own dead" and "to leave everything and follow me."

So it's not the dualistic world point of view thats causing problems, it's really not giving it all to God that's maybe causing dualistic points of view.

Anyway, I sould a bit confused. Help me out here.

2010/5/9 21:12Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: What is dualism?

Our world view should be Christ-centered and
Christ-focused. The interests, principles,
and values of this world are almost always
opposed to the purposes and will of GOD!!

2010/5/9 21:21Profile

Dualism: The belief that the world is ruled by a pair of antagonistic forces, such as good and evil; and the belief that man has two basic natures, the physical and the spiritual.....[Wikipedia]

As I see it, this idea springs from Babylon [Babel], that ascribes to the Universe two springs of essence; a corroborating FORCE, similar to the STAR WARS movies. You have the DARK force, and the champions of the LIGHT; the JEDI Masters.

There are not necessarily personalities in this belief system to be avoided or worshipped, though there are messengers, such as SIDDARTHA; the Buddha, and various bad guys that pop up that are wicked. Therefore the epitome of "holy" spirituality would to become one with the "white force", and avoid the bad vibes.

The Yin and the Yang are words that express dualism, and it is applied to every area of life as the necessary balance that the world operates under. The idea is not that there are entities that are good are bad, like the Lord God of the bible, and Satan...but a negative and positive "power" that keeps you at peace and harmony, or if you gravitate to the negative side...hate, confusion and general malice and malaise.

Korea is in the heart of modern day Buddhist worship, which is the most authentic representation of the practice of dualism today. They worship ancestors, only because it is good KHARMA to do so. Karma is the spiritual justice system of dualism in their philosophy, which is indeed a religion, which also has a Priest class; a monastic order. The famous Tibetan monks would be the most visible today, though orders of dualism are sprinkled all over the far EAST.

So, when Korea states that the Church is at war with dualism, they are speaking of the influence of this demonic "religion" that is a foundation in their society. It produces a works mentality, and a doctrinal stance similar to the God of Joel Olsteen....God will bless you ; just believe that he wants to, and things will work out just fine if we perservere!!??

Basically, this religion and thinking was designed by Satan to deny the existence of a HOLY God that requires Holiness to commune with Him. We overcome by the blood of the Lamb, the Word of truth as we proclaim His work in our life, and not loving our own way.....not by following the side of good FORCE!

2010/5/10 9:38

Re:

From personal research, it appears Brother Tom hit a bullseye as to origin and influence of dualism.

There is quite a bit more to it than we realize though.

The form of virus we now see in Jesus' Body is the idea of seperating the spiritual from the physical.

In the Hebrew, there is no such word or specific concept understood to be specifically 'spiritual'.

Paul makes this very clear from one verse, in Romans 12:1.
Your spiritual service is presenting your bodies as a holy sacrafice, living acceptable to God.

(That's one of those places where a misunderstanding of greek syntax -(genetives)- has led to misinterpretation. A better rendering in transliteration would be, "worship in spirit" were that intended to be the concluding phrase of the verse. In reference to this, consider Jn. 4:23.)

Anyway, not to get sidetracked, through the influence of Greek philosophy, stemming from it's paganistic occult stance, man was divided into seperate components of spirit, soul, and body, the soul considered to seperate the two. The influence of this reasoning is most clearly seen in gnositicism, -[from YHVH-vs-Archons to spirit=good -vs- flesh=evil]- to particularly the Docetic school, however it is recognized to be a perdominant theme in all of them, though the bent of the reasoning behind this lie varies.

Hebrew and Greek philosophy do not mix. One stems from Torah, and the other from (humanistic) pagan occultism.

Genesis says, "God formed man from the dust of the ground, breathed into him the breath-of-(soul)-liveS[<note pl.], and man became a living soul.

What is a man without a body?
What is a man without a soul?
What is a man without the breath (of lives)?

There is really no division, simply because if man is missing any of these 'aspects' that make him human, he is no longer functioning in the earth.

Taking O.T. and N.T. in reference to one another, all we see is the problem of a more limited language-(with the paradigmatic world views and belief systems behind it)- inability to specifically detail what another expansive foundational language actually says.

There is no seperation of spiritual and physical. One without the other is a state of non-existence.

There is no such thing as supernatural (observable in the here and now), because if it makes a physical impression, it is embroidered into the fabric of the physical realm.

Evrything you do is spiritual in a spiritual world.

As to limitations of greek defining man's being and resulting misconception of each component in man being seperate and distinct, the Hebrew sections off 4 basis aspects(<not seperate components), from which several more derrive. This can be gleaned from the passage of God giving man life, as well as following Torah passages with more specific details. Man's aspects that make him affective and effective in the earth are understood to all be neccesary if one is to funtion therein.

In short, everything is spiritual, though not everything is physical.

Salvation covers every single aspect of a person's life because everything is spiritual. Even things created through man's imagination fall into this recognition, otherwise Jesus would not have spent so much time near the temple treasury, often watching and teaching, when in Jerusalem. Consider that there are also over 3000 verses just about money--->(Money is spiritual, too... and a pretty clear indicator of where your heart is at just by what you spend it on, compared to Who you give it to.)

With all this in mind reconsider what the following verses are actually saying:

Heb. 11:3
&
Colosians 1:

9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of hisa dear Son:

14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that inb all things he might have the preeminence.

19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven...

There is nothing in the whole world that the finished work in Jeus Christ's self-dertermined sacrafice that is not covered when he:
1.) offered up His body for the life of the WHOLE world,
and
2.)His blood to redeem ALL things back into His posession.

The only thing He has not yet put under His feet is death itself.

Many ask me things like, "then...
...why isn't everybody rich
...healed
...mentally sound
...withour sinning...
and on and on.

Since all these things have been Covered by Jesus' death on the cross making this work possible, all everybody is really asking is:
"Why isn't everybody saved?"

According to your faith(fulness) be it unto you.
It's all a matter of where one places their dependence and fixed their trust.

Rely in complete confidence in Him.
He is always Faithful and True.
He will never deny Himself...
(...though you will never be able to
do the same yourself
with your self.)

Lk. 9:23

Instead of asking ,"why isn't everybody __________...", the better question to ask is what is my stumbling-block (aka: idol, eidelon) i bow down to, blocking my vision to Jesus revelation of Himself to me? What am i giving time and attention to talk about and consider (aka:glorying in) that makes me unable to hear Him speaking to me? What has hardened my heart so badly that it is being coated in fat (just to hopefully keep it from breaking)?

[honestly, the complexity of man far exceeds any mental map an individual tries to give validity. This explains the failure of modern psychology and it's 'holistic' humanistic approaches. Worse is that harlot Babylon. She and her children are running around on every street corner, in different guises]

CIAO!
g
Acts 20:32

p.s.
Dualism makes a person think
God cannot do everything
He says He has done,
currently does,
and will do
in the future.

It is the root of the "doctrine(?)' of dispensationalism.

edited

2010/5/10 14:31
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

I guess one could label any double mindedness as dualism. I know there are some religious philosophies that are called dualism. I think you are describing he former and not the later.

You don't sound at all confused to me. I have often called the thing you describe compartmentalization rather than dualism, but really I think both words very descriptive.

We must realize that everything we do, we do in the context of who we are. I am a born again believer. I am a son of God. I am this when I am eating, sleeping, brushing my teeth, throwing a frisbee around with my kids, digging a ditch, witnessing to a neighbor about Christ, praying, or whatever. My activity does not change my identity. I am who I am no matter what I am doing, and who I am gives meaning to what I do.

In that respect, it is impossible for a lost man to truly do anything "good" in the true sense of the word. He may do things that to the human mind seem noble or accomplish positive ends, but all of these things count for nothing eternally. He may try to hold these things up to God and say, "see, I did good.", but God will say, I do not recognize these things, nor do I know you.

As a born again believer my entire life is holy unto the Lord, EVERY part of it, and I should be cognizant of this and allow the Lord to live through me in such a way as every part of my life is governed by the Holy Spirit.

To have it any other way, to me, is dualism. It is the double mindedness that James speaks about. There should not be a holy part of our life and a profane part. There should not be the sacred and the secular. There should not be the "God part" of our life and the "rest" of our life.

So I think I agree with what you described about the article you read. To see the "spiritual" as good and the mundane things of daily life as bad is to fail to realize that you live life from your identity in Christ. What has happened in my spirit at rebirth should have direct impact on every aspect of my life.

I have seen parts of the body settle into the deception from time to time that we can have the "God" part of our life where we worship on a day (you pick yours), come for a "spiritual event" we call church, satisfy the conscience that we have put in our "God time", go away feeling uplifted, and then live the other six days of the week carnally (not necessarily in open sin, but simply out of our own flesh) with no thought that each part of our lives should revolve around God rather than around us. It is as if you can picture a circle called me and around it are spokes with smaller circles that are the parts of my life. One may say school, the other friends, the other occupation, and one may say God. This is not the picture we should have, but for so many, it is the reality of their lives. Rather we should have one all encompassing circle called God and within this circle fall all of the other circles that are the parts of our lives. Each part is bathed in the whole of the reality of righteousness and relationship with God.

Hope that perspective helps.

2010/5/10 17:50Profile

Re:

WOW!!!

At least to me, this all seems like all this, right on down the line is filling in all the empty spaces on a crossword puzzle.

Does anyone else have further insight into this?

It's like this thread is going from more abstract to concrete.

Recalled is a comment by D.L. Moody, something about: the cover of the Bible should be made of shoe leather.

CIAO!
g
Acts 20:32

2010/5/10 18:30
jiyouk

Re:

Quote:
I have seen parts of the body settle into the deception from time to time that we can have the "God" part of our life where we worship on a day (you pick yours), come for a "spiritual event" we call church, satisfy the conscience that we have put in our "God time", go away feeling uplifted, and then live the other six days of the week carnally (not necessarily in open sin, but simply out of our own flesh) with no thought that each part of our lives should revolve around God rather than around us.

Great insight brother.
Yeah, we tend to become more about completing spiritual activities to satisfy our conscious rather than relying on the blood of Christ and giving all our lives to Him. This comes from the dualistic world view that church life is spiritual while the wordly life is well.. wordly life so that the believer wants to be named "a pleaser of God" by doing Holy activities.
If looked closer, this turns out to be a somewhat work based salvation since the believer satisfies one's spiritual life by doing things that he calls "spiritual." For example, there are times when you have lived carnally and feel good about having evangelized or having worshiped. So the believer is relying on spiritual activities to make satisfy one's conscience and to make himself feel better about having done something of God.
And, as reluctant I am to bring this up, I'm wondering if IHOP is not much like this. Just wondering guys..lol

So maybe dualistic points of view can lead to work based salvation. Where as the true believer really has a transformed heart and prays and evangelizes and does every good thing out of the overflowing thankfulness he has from the sacrifice of Jesus, who is his holiness and the only way to God, the person with a dualistic mindset think that he can go to God by participating in more spiritual activities such as fasting, praying excesively, and worshiping.
Don't get me wrong here.. I'm not saying that you should not do these activities, but if the motive of these activities are "to satisfy thirst for spritual events in order to make me feel more justified"( which does happen much in our spiritual lives, at least at the beginning of it) then it is nothing more than climbing those stairs with the bloody knees as Martin Luther did.
Only by faith do we enter into the Most Holy Place.

ps. "How do am I saved?"
"By repentance"
"but if a believer repents and falls into the same sin and repents and so on?"
"He'll keep have to be repenting"
Answer:
"We're not saved by repentance, but by repenting and having faith on the Blood of Christ at all times. That he's blood is enough to satifsy the justice of God."

Something written in this Korean book as well.

2010/5/11 0:52Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy