Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question about puritan authors

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
washad

arkansas

Question about puritan authors

I am an avid reader of a few of the puritan authors. I love Thoms Watson's direct style and John Owen's book "Overcoming Sin and Temptation" has been a tremendous help to my walk. John Bunyan also has a great book called "The Fear of God". Jonathan Edwards is very scholarly but his sermons and discourses hold my attention.

Now for my question. I want to branch out into new authors but am not sure which. Some titles caught my eye and the authors are unknown to me. Jeremiah Burroughs and John Flavel. How do these two measure up to Owen and Watson? How do their styles compare? Ralph Venning's "The Sinfulness of Sin". Have you read it? How does he compare? Compare may be the wrong word but are they of the same quality spiritually speaking.I guess the question is are the books by these authors worth the money and will they help me in my walk?

2010/5/7 9:11Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: Question about puritan authors

Re:John Flavel - The Mystery of Providence

I read this book and it was quite good. Very detailed and to the point. I got quite a bit of comfort from reading it and greater understanding. I believe it was helpful in my walk. Hope you enjoy it.

The writing style is so much better than what it produced today. Instead of advancing, education has become a poor imitation of what it once was.

Kind regards,
White Stone

2010/5/7 15:08Profile
Giggles

I have not read the books you mentioned, but would highly recommend Flavel, especially "The Fountain of Life Opened Up." Also perhaps consider Richard Baxter (Reformed Pastor), Richard Sibbes(Bruised Reed), or Joseph Alleine(Alarm to the Unconverted).

If Puritan writing is your passion, also consider getting "Meet the Puritans" by Beeke and Pederson. It provides short biographies of the 150 Puritans that have been reprinted in the last 50 years, together with summaries of all 700 reprinted Puritan titles. It features biographies on the authors listed, book lists, reviews of each work presented, as well as publisher info and page counts among other things. Very solid resource if your into the Puritans.

2010/5/7 16:30Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

try thomas brooks, my favorite puritan

2010/5/7 17:38Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

I'm with hmmhmm. If you like Thomas Watson, read Thomas Brooks. The style is similar in my opinion. Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices is a must read.

With care in Christ...

2010/5/7 22:15Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

THE CHRISTIAN IN COMPLETE ARMOUR by William Gurnall. I get something new from it each time that I read it.

:-)

2010/5/7 22:45Profile
flameoffire

Michigan

Re:

I'm reading Christian in Complete Armour right now. I'm only about 250 pages in, but it is phenomenal. It's going to take a while to get through though at 1200+ pages. Every page is packed.

2010/5/7 22:52Profile
Anastasis

I would check out Henry Scougal. There are two works in particular you should read that have both impacted me: "The Life of God in the Soul of Man" (a perfect definition of regeneration!), and "There are But a Small Number Saved." He has a limited number of works because he died young, but they will leave a mark in your spirit.

I have to get around to "The Christian in Complete Armour." The more I hear about it, the more I want to read it :)

2010/5/11 14:42Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

1. The Evil of Evils: Jeremiah Burroughs
2. Unless you Repent: Jonathan Edwards
3. The Almost christain Discovered: Matthew Mead
4. A Treatise on Earthly Mindedness: Jeremiah Burroughs
5: The Ten Virgins: Thomas Shepard
6: The Rare Jewel of christian contentment
7. Altoghther lovely: Edwards
8: A Just and Righteous God: Edwards
9: The Wrath of an Almighty God: Edwards
10: The Existance and Attributes of God:Charnock

I have plenty of recommendations. But please get anything by Watson do yourself a favor and pick up his book Heaven taken by storm Meditate upon what he says and do it and it will change your life. Also purchase gurnalls work on Spiritual Warfare.

2010/5/11 16:22Profile
Aussiedler

GERMANY

Re:

Two great puritan books:

John Bunyan - The Holy War
A book that explains very good all the demonic activity in the flesh and in the human soul

John Bunyan - The Acceptable Sacrifice
A teaching about the different breakings that oen has to experience in order to experience the continual presence of god.

2010/5/19 12:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy