SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do you deal with the Jehovah witnesses

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

How do you deal with the Jehovah witnesses

When they come to the door and are insisting you let them in and take their literature? I tried to be really friendly and polite with this older gentleman but he was so insisting that I read his watch tower tracts. I told him that I was a christian and I was not interested in reading his material but he would not let up. He said if I did not read his things I would not know what God is doing now in this day and kept on going. I tried several times to tell him that I follow the Lord and that I believe Jesus to be my Lord and Savior. He said that God was Jehovah and insisted I needed to know about him. Finally I just said as lovingly as I could that the only way to God was through His son Jesus and with that the man got angry and told me that if I did not want to read his things than it was at my own risk. I told him I hoped he had a nice day as he stomped off.

I feel like I handled it all wrong but he was really pushy and insisting made me feel really nervous and uncomfortable. I was home alone so I was not going to invite him into the house but I did try to talk to him politely on the front porch.

How does everyone here handle these kinds of situations.

God Bless
maryjane

2010/5/3 14:36Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: How do you deal with the Jehovah witnesses

It is a bit different for me, since I am male. If my wife was home alone, I would advise her to do the exact same thing that you did. Praise God that it seems like this guy didn't have much luck with folks in your area :-)

As a man, I always invite them in or talk to them where they are. I pull out my Bible, and I go through point by point with them until they get sick of me and leave. I always invite them back, but they never come.

I just speak truth over them. Try my best to love on them, and I am never harsh with them. They are greatly mislead and unsaved. In fact, I have an easier time talking to those who don't know Christ and act like it, then I do with those who act like they know Christ, yet don't. At least I expect the unsaved to act as such.

1 Corinthians 9:16 (NKJV)

"... Woe is me if I do not preach the gospel!"

2010/5/3 15:06Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re: Good questions to ask a JW

1.In Jn 20:28, Thomas refers to Jesus in Greek as "Ho kyrios moy kai ho theos moy". This translates literally as "the Lord of me and THE God of me". Why does Jesus, in Jn 20:29, affirm Thomas for having come to this realization? If Jesus really wasn't the Lord and THE God of Thomas, why didn't Jesus correct him for making either a false assumption or a blasphemous statement?

2.If Christ will not have a visible return to earth, then how will he be seen by "ALL the tribes of the earth" (Mt 24:30) and by "EVERY eye" (Rev 1:7) when he returns?

3.If the Holy Spirit is God's impersonal active force, how could he: Be referred to as "he" and "him" in Jn 16:7-8 and Jn 16:13-14; Bear witness - Jn 15:26; Feel hurt - Isa 63:10; Be blasphemed against - Mk 3:29; Say things - Ezek 3:24, Acts 8:29, 10:19, 11:12, 21:11, Heb10:15-17, Rev 2:7; Desire - Gal 5:17; Be outraged - Heb 10:29; Search -1Cor 2:10; Comfort - Acts 9:31; Be loved - Rom 15:30 ; Be lied to and be God - Acts 5:3-4?

4.What is the meaning of Rev 14:9-11, which says, "... If anyone worships the wild beast ... he shall be tormented with fire and sulphur ... And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever ...". Where could "anyone" be "tormented ... forever and ever"?

5.If the name "Jehovah" is so important, then why does Acts 4:12 say, "There is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name [v10 Jesus Christ] under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved"? Would this not have been the logical place for God to have used the name "YHWH"?

The main thing to remember is, speak the truth in love. I have had some JW's stop by my house and they usually get turned off when you start quoting scripture to them and giving clear answers to their questions most leave after a while. They prey on people who do not know their bibles( not saying you don't dear friend :) just being general. So the first defense against heresy is truth devour the scriptures and meditate upon them let them dwell in you richly. there is also a good verse in John 17:5 christ said he had glory with God before the world began but in Isaiah 42:8 it says God shares his glory with none but himself. So what does this mean? when you ask questions do it with care and love. and also use the law on them to show them the exceeding sinfulness of sin and hopefully by Gods grace they will be pricked to the heart. JW's have a real works righteousness attitude when it comes to salvation all the tracks and door to door tactics the employ salve the conscience and give them assurance instead of trusting in christ alone. The law exposes sin and leads one to see the need for the God man Christ Jesus who is the sum total of the gospel. The Law is the hammer to crush the gospel the medicine to heal.

Soli Deo Gloria
Demetrius.

2010/5/3 16:20Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: How do you deal with the Jehovah witnesses

I knew a guy in college that used to go to Jehovah's Witness's meetings to get to know them on a basis where he could "witness" to them but it didn't work. I told him to be careful, I don't know where he is now.

Anyway, he told a group of us one day that they have a platform in the middle of the meeting hall with two chairs facing each other and one acts like the person answering the door and the other is "learning" to GET IN. This literally goes on the entire meeting time with people critiqing each other and what they did 'wrong' during last weeks visits.

Fuegodedios is right, "They prey on people who don't know their Bibles." They are on a mission, and it's not to love you or pray for you or help you; they are on a mission to convert you, period. This sounds cold and callous but they are like stray dogs, as long as you talk to them and invite them in, they will keep coming back. It's entirely up to you.

Personally, I do not let them in. They are there to beat down your defenses and years ago I thought if I told them, "I'll give you 15 minutes if you give me 15 minutes" but then they wanted to argue about who goes first because of course, they wanted to go last (formulating their whole argument while you talked). So I just told them (in love and with a smile), that I speak in tongues and if they want to come in I'll pray with them! Thankfully, no one comes to my house anymore!!

2010/5/3 17:52Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Lisa is right. They do prey on those who are weak in the word. I had a very humorous encounter. I was in the back yard studying the word when two elders and a young girl apparently learning to be a witness showed up at the door. My wife told them I would love to talk to them and sent them around back. As they walked up and saw me reading the Bible, they made a comment about my being in the "good book". They then asked me some question about Jesus. Without even thinking about what I was saying, I replied, "Well of course, He was God you know." The reaction was to puff up, huff around a bit looking for words, and say, "Well we could discuss that some time.", and hurriedly usher this young girl out of my yard. I felt later that I should have warned that young lady that she did not know what she was getting herself into. I had unintentionally brought out the "big gun" fighting words by saying that Jesus was God.

Those who are strong in the Word and know their Bible can ask the witnesses to explain their doctrines. Listen closely, and then simply ask them questions as though you don't know. "So what does this scripture mean then", pointing to a verse that obviously refutes their point of doctrine. It is never about winning an argument with a Witness, but rather about helping them to see that there may be error in their belief. Often just asking them questions about scriptures that refute their doctrine will cause them to begin thinking. Trying to argue and convince is rarely if ever successful.

Travis

2010/5/3 18:58Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I have had so many JWs come to our door...

We had Watchman's Fellowship come into our community and they presented a seminar on how to deal with cults, presenting their main doctrinal points. Having talked with a lot of them plus studying Ted Denchers lit on JW's their material made a lot of sense.

What does not work is to give them lit from an organization that works to inform JW's their error.

I have one good story. A very nice young, handsome Hispanic fellow came alone to our door. We got to talking but he was very different: he was NOT confrontational. He was thoughtful. I felt in my spirit that somehow the LORD was working with him and I was pleased with the conversation. I never saw him since, nor do I know whatever happened with him.

My point? If you know doctrine and know how to listen to the Holy Spirit you can talk. But do not go into a confrontational mode nor enter into a debate. If you want to read a book that is very helpful this one is it: "Apostles of Denial" by Edmond Charles Gruss. I do not know whether it is still available. You may have to go to www.bookfinders.com to find a copy.

Today when JWs come to our door we have no discussion to speak of. We have a small plaque on our front door with a Bible verse on it. This seems to deter any aggressive discussions. Or, maybe they have learned they are wasting their time with me...

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/5/3 22:18Profile

Re:

The first time JW's were ever encountered was when they had a national convention in Nashville TN. (early 80's, 1981 if recall is correct.)

A whole group of them came in the store i was working at. I was working the register, and one of them got the bright idea to witness to me. (i overheard them talking and prayed that our Lord would give me the opportunity to "be witnessed to":it was immediately GRANTED.)

At that point in time, their watchtower bible did not have the verse regarding saints getting out of their graves and going about the Holy City. (It really threw this guy witnessing to me for a loop, and he called everybody in that roving group into the discussion. They had no answers as to why, but would have to ask their leaders). They tried walking off, but i asked how many of them really knew their Bible because i had a question. They all eagerly returned to the cash register,

The fellow who started 'witnessing' at the onset, looked at me, and intrigue was in his eyes. He asked what the question was. Everybody was standing their wondering what was next.

He was asked to explain Zech. 12:8,9,10.

They all were dumbfounded again.

i really did not know how i would deal with them when the desire and prayer came upon me in the first place, but following the Holy Spirit's lead, it all unfolded so amazingly.

They all left the store in silence.

Later that day, 3 of them came back and were asked where the group was. They said that several of the leaders could not come up with answers as to why their Bible cut out that verse. As well, they had no explanation for particularly Zech. 12:10, nor the other verses in relation to it. They said that none of them were allowed to be found near my store, but they wanted to talk to me.

Following His lead, they were told that their leaders were either afraid of losing some very faithful followers, or their leaders were lying to them and did not want them to know the truth about Jesus.

3 more days passed and they returned to talk through many different things... talk about convoluted dogmatics.

At the end of the week, it was just me and that fellow who confronted me in the first place. (They had all been told to read and re-read the book of John, starting at chapter 2, skipping ch. 1 altogether. Often they were repeatedly asked, if a son of man is called man, what is the son of God called?)

The fellow who started witnessing to me in the first place did get saved, and the other two lost faith in the Watchtower society. All three were kicked out of the convention for talking about what we continued talking about at the store.

i really do not think that it is an issue of fight or flight. They just have different views that are wrong...but how many, even those who claim to be saved, do not have views that differ from the scriptures?

Currently, over the past year, paths have been crossed with a leader who trains converts to witness. This occurred 5 times before i finally prayed and asked God to lead me to his house so that i might share Jesus with Him. After our first meeting, he always told the new recruit trainees to go on to other houses while he talks with me... and the Lord is changing His heart.

A few weeks ago, while riding bike down a road i seldom wandered, guess who was in his front yard fixing barbeque?

I was instructed just to wave and proceed.

He has been brought up before me by God while interceeding at various times. It has been revealed to me that this is going to require prayer and fasting to reach Him as the Lord desires...then this thread is seen today.

Now, this should be in miracles that follow the plow, but anybody willing to join in prayer so that this fellow may see clearly that YHShVH in the New Testament is YHVH of the Old Testament, contact me via my email and details can be arranged after this is prayed about regarding direction as to next steps.

He is already clear that Jehovah is a perversion of Yahweh's real name, and in order for Him to talk with me, he has to lay aside the name Jehovah, and call Him Yaweh or Adonai in order to talk with me about "The True Faith" of the Bible (as i call it). He is confused as to what an angel is via explanations of the word angelos and where it is used to refer to ministers and messengers.

Since dealing with Tony, the Watchtower Bible has been read and researched. Though they do not say where they get their O.T. text for translation, through comparison to the septuagent, it seems that this is their source. Though he does have some knowledge of Greek (according to what the 'Russelites' want him to know) he is at a near total loss regarding Hebrew.

He now has that intrigued look i first noticed of the first one who tried witnessing to me over 30 years ago.

Anyway, how do i deal w/JW's?

According to the Spirit's lead, as with any other human being.

God is just so awesome!
He doesn't just tell you to do something; but shows you what to do , when, and how.

Praise the Lord God Almighty, our Rock, our shield and buckler.

Got so excited seeing the thread,started in writing w/o reading through any posts. Maybe it might be good to retrace back to square one, read em' all, and re-comment?

...perhaps...

When we gonna' talk regarding Mormon's?

Wind blown,
g
Acts 20:32

edited:
second mentioned verse Zech. 12:9 was changed to Zech. 12:10, which it should have been written as in the first place. Typing too fast and not checking references, then sending posts without rereading should not be done; but, this post was sent in just such manner. i have got to quit doing that. Sorry friends. (i'll work on it.)

2010/5/3 23:49
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Awesome testimony, Gregg.

I love it!

ginnyrose

2010/5/4 0:08Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Thanks everyone for sharing with me on this. I think I was so taken aback by this older gentleman because he was so insistent and so pushy. I told my husband it did not matter how polite I tried to be or how I told him I was not interested in reading his literature he would not give up. I don't think he was even really listening to me he was just so wanting to push his agenda. I often wonder about things like this after they happen, I wonder if I came across as being rude because I was uncomfortable being home alone. I wonder if I should have said things differently or handle them better??? Sometimes I feel guilty because I know that I am not very good when it comes to talking with people that I don't know. Reading through every ones posts on their experience tells me that he probably was pretty typical of the JW that go around from door to door and that is why he got so offended when I told him that I was not interested in his tracts.

I do try to share my love for the Lord and about my walk with the Lord Jesus with others but I am not very good at debating, when people begin arguing I tend to get uncomfortable.

Well anyway thanks for sharing.

God Bless
mj

2010/5/4 1:19Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

My one and only experience with JW was when I was a young, my mom was taking a nap and I was just hanging out when a older woman and a very young girl guessing grandmother and grand daughter came to the door. I didn't know ANYTHING about JW at the time nor their teachings I went to tell my mom she told me not to answer the door but they were pretty presistant on knocking since they could see I was home. I answered the door and they showed me a bible verse told me a little bit about "god" and handed me some reading material. They were very polite and respectful probably because I was little and ignorant but they never came back. When I came back inside from talking with them my mom said "those are JW they don't teach good things" I said okay and threw away the literature. Since then I really haven't ran into anyone and can't say I really know the flaw in their doctrine other than denying Christ Jesus and I would have to turn to 1 John 2:22 "Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a man is the antichrist—he denies the Father and the Son."

Maybe someone could get me up to date on the dangers of what they actually teach. It would be much appreciated. :)

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/5/4 1:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy