Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sour Wine

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: Sour Wine

Quote:
The wording of this verse makes the sour wine seem significant. I was wondering about the symbolic and spiritual significance of sour wine.

Yes. I believe it's right to associate it with sin.

Put in context of the last supper, there are these two verses which confirm each other:

Matthew 26:29 and Mark 14:25

In consideration of what and when 'that day' may be, I would suggest it is 'this day' for us, which dawned at Pentecost. Hence, the capitalised verbs below are in the present tense.

Hebrews 12: 22 But ye ARE COME unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, 23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn [ones](literal amplificiation), which ARE WRITTEN in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men MADE PERFECT, 24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that SPEAKETH better things than [that of] Abel.

John 8:23, John 18:36,

Acts 2:13, Matthew 9:17, Mark 2:22.

John 2:9 When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, 10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: [but] thou hast kept the good wine until now.

Nehemiah 10:39 reminds me of an old pentecostal chorus which sings

Bless the Lord, O my soul
And magnify His wonderful name
For the glory of the Lord is mine forever
Jesus is ever the same
For the Lord saved me
And gave me liberty
To tell the world that Jesus is mine
He has given me the wine
To make my heart rejoice
And the oil to make my face to shine.

This, surely, is taken from the Old Testament - Psalm 104:15 And wine [that] maketh glad the heart of man, [and] oil to make [his] face to shine, and bread [which] strengtheneth man's heart.

{oil...: Heb. to make his face shine with oil, or, more than oil}

Again, the bread takes us straight back to the last supper and many other Old Testament images, within which 'sour wine' stands in extreme contrast of the meaning of those occasions. Luke 22:19, 24 And when he had given thanks, he brake [it], and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

We probably try not to compute just how much blood was shed in those days to 'cover' sin, which Jesus was to dispel with one powerfully simple statement: Matthew 26:28, Mark 14:24, Luke 22:20, 1 Cor 11:26.

I believe it's important to remember the meaning of the 'sour wine' and to recognise the enormity of what His death accomplished, every time we take bread and wine together. Too often it is rushed, instead of expecting to judge ourselves that we be not judged, tarrying for one another while all our hearts are made right with God again, in true fellowship - of His death AND His life.

2010/5/11 10:11

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy