SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Babbling like pagans

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Jeremy221

Babbling like pagans

In Matthew 6 we read,

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.

8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

(Matthew 6:5-8)

I have been to listening to many sermons about prayer, especially by Leonard Ravenhill, in the past months. Many of these promote the practice of very long periods of prayer with examples of brothers and sisters praying 4, 6, 8, 12 or even more hours per day. This passage seems to show prayer in a different light and with different expectations. Jesus then follows this with the Lord's prayer as an example which is very concise prayer.

Could you share your experiences in prayer, what the Lord has taught you about it the other Scriptural passages about it that will help us all grasp it better?

2010/4/24 3:19Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Babbling like pagans

Quote:
Mat 6:7 (7) But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

I like the KJV's choice of words in this verse. The Jews' prayers were just that, empty or vain repetitions, rote repetition of prayers with no faith, with no sincerity, almost as if by formula. The emphasis is not on the repetition, but on the vanity of the repetition.

This does not mean that if I do not compose a concise and to-the-point prayer that I am using vain repetitions. It does not mean that if I pray for an extended period of time or repeat myself that my repetition is vain or empty.

Jesus often had marathon prayer sessions that lasted all night. In fact, in the garden just prior to His death He prayed, came to the disciples, and returned to repeat the same prayer. Surely not vain repetition, but repetition all the same.

I find that I do not have extended periods of time in which I can pray as a general rule. I do have times devoted specifically to prayer, but I pray a lot as I drive, or as I am going about tasks that do not require too much mental concentration. It is, I guess, praying without ceasing. I have spent a few times as much as two to five hours praying at one time, and found them to be fantastic times with the Lord that bore great fruit in me.

A liberal portion of my private prayer time is spent praying in the Spirit in accordance with 1 Cor. 14:14 knowing that by the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit I can pray in agreement with the mind of Christ, 1 Cor. 2 which I have through the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit of God.

I think the passage has more to do with the contrast between the empty words that the Jews prayed by rote and the words of faith and life prayed by true believers and not a statement of length, repetition of words, or composition of prayer.

Travis

2010/4/24 10:35Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Babbling like pagans

1) Prayer is the expression of our faith
and worship.

2) Prayer is communion and fellowship with
the Father and the Son.

3) Prayer exalts and magnifies the truth
of GOD. It is praise for His wonders
and His works.