SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : John 1:26

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

John 1:26

John 1:26 "I baptize with water, John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know."

Studying today I came across this verse and it kind of took me back because John is talking about Jesus (The one the World didn't know) and says "among you stands one" so does this mean that Jesus was apart of the crowd John is talking to or is it more of a Spiritual Among you thing, or is it a He is among you in the temples.

And If Jesus was watching John talk to the Pharisees that just kind of blows my mind a bit, that Jesus was right there listening to a message that was about Him :) Hum just a thought to ponder I suppose.

Any Thoughts?

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/4/20 6:46Profile

Re: John 1:26

The word is mesos
and derrives from meta (usually used as an adverb)--
this is the root word "among" derrives itself from, and so more than likely means "from that which is relative to/with you" and is an indirect allusion.

The other possiblility of Jesus being right there is doubtful.

Mesos might better be translated "from (your) midst" if to be best understood in modern english vernacular.

John's proclamation was a message to some servants of the Pharissees sent to check him out.

CIAO!
g
Acts 20:32

2010/4/21 19:33
Koheleth

NC

Re: John 1:26

I always took it to mean "among you Israelites" meaning Jesus was a fellow Jew and accessible. And the "whom you do not know" means that Jesus was not revealed to anyone as the Messiah yet. John was introducing him and they would know who he was soon enough.

2010/4/22 0:38Profile

Re:

by Koheleth on 2010/4/21 20:38:59:
I always took it to mean "among you Israelites" meaning Jesus was a fellow Jew and accessible. And the "whom you do not know" means that Jesus was not revealed to anyone as the Messiah yet. John was introducing him and they would know who he was soon enough.

------------------------------------------------------------
If that was not known, i'de have to say, "Dr., i concur,"

Your'e hitting the nail on the head.
(leave it to a builder to say something like that.)
This is what the verse in totality implies, exegetically.

...but that root word, from which comes the word "mesos" translated "among", in it's most bare essential meaning is saying,"in the middle of".

There is much more to the whole passage than what is seen on the surface; but, what else could you expect from a prophet?

Sometimes it's wondered if John (the dunker) realized what he was saying when he said it though. (Ya' know, he was the one who after going to Herod's prison, sent his talmidim to inquire from his cousin if He indeed was the Christ. I mean, this guy is saying what God told him, without knowing all the why's and wherefore's.

Many are the times have i spoken, given 'a word from the Lord' and not even realized the full implications of what was said until others have told about what happened in regards to what was spoken. Many many times this occurs without direct intervention of Him telling me to say this and that, such and such, or thus and so.

Paul says let him that prophecies, prophecy according to his confidence in God (faith).

i don't know about anybody else, but mine still need to grow.

Unless commanded, i don't go around saying, "thus saith the Lord" and all that jazz; but He has His ways of keeping all the glory to Himself for Himself. Going around saying stuff like, "God said this" and "a burden from the Lord" really phreaks people out, and it can make others think you are one load shy of a brick.

If you don't believe this, try it sometime... just with a verse of scripture God has given you insight into. Many will give ya' vewy stwange wooks: like a cow at a new gate, or a dog at a new bowl, or they will cock their heads like a bird does when it fixes it's eyes in fascination on some shiny object. In time, word will get back to you that some folks think you are trying to walk on a floor covered with greased ball bearings. Many more will say nothing but think stuff like, 'well, this confirms what i thought all along, this person is mad or somewhere over the rainbow.

Better yet, donn a bleched white robe, don't shave or take a bath, wipe yourself down with fish slime, go walk the streets and say, "repent or in 40 days america will be overthrown."

It's a good way to find:
your new neighbor
constantly muttering
nonsensical gibberish
while staring
at institution pink walls
and picking his nose;
your new bedroom padded;
your new shirt a straightjacket;
and the sharpest object
you might be allowed
to write with
would be a color crayon.

Wanna' hear me put myself out on a limb???
Too late!
Here goes:

Of spritual gifts, this one was definitely not of my choosing. There is a heavy price that comes with it, and i would rather be the guy that thinks 'let's live and let live', and say, "We will pray about that and trust God".

Some think me obsessed with God's righteousness and judgement, yet it is His merciful loving kindness that is borne out when His message bubbles up.
(It's just that the consequences of wrong actions often times need repeating or 'we the sheeple' tend to ignore that part <pertaining to rebuke and corrective measures-->thinking everything is 'hunky dore'!, not yet able to recognize impending problems when everything seems so rosey on the surface.).

I am not Mr. Gloom and Doom at all. Rather, the tendency here is to be antithetically rhetorical, not in a somber morbid kind of way, but more like the kid totally fascinated with a new toy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Bible4life, you might be interested in this:)

One time reading through the Bible it was marked with 3 different colors: one for God's judgement, one for words of warning, and another for instruction. When done, i took the book apart and sorted it.

(if one does not look into the meaning of the words and numbers behind geneologies and records of accounting and puts those in a seperate pile...)
There is less than 1/3rd of the Bible remaining if only the parts of teaching and training are kept intact.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a purpose for both admonishment and encouragement.
With God's Word, often one is found right within the other, though from our perspective, we may look at it a bit differently. (like for me, when long ago that lil' Bible reading project mentioned above was done.)

There are not enough brothers and sisters speaking out about what is wrong in the body right where they participate, but quick to point out error elsewhere.

So many would rather focus in on less than 1/3rd of the Bible.

What is really WHACK is when whoever it is that instructs draws meaning that is not there at all out of a passage, totally disregarding context. (It's like the one who picks and chooses a verse here and there to form a new revelattion or create a new doctrine. This is how cults begin.)

Worse are those who think they are the manifestation of God's righteous indignation and snort out puffs of smoke when ranting and raving. USUALLY, one need not listen to such, UNLESS with their a message they give God's solution right along with it. Stuffing a sock in their mouth and affixing duct-tape is more effective, though. If that doesn't work, a cattle prod or a baseball bat could come in handy.

(anybody can find fault with anything on earth if they look hard enough; but, has God given the answer to the problem? If not, consider the source.)

There is good purpose in God's rebuke. Whether it comes through His words and/or deeds depends on the eyes, ears, and hearts of the recipients.

For me, facts are, my head may be in the clouds STS,but these feet are definitely planted on the ground...
i have to get dressed, drink water, eat, breath, and work just like everybody else...for now at least.

Look at the whole passage and maybe you will see what has been hinted at in this post.

Just keep that proper perspective!
(like in your comment)
In Christ Jesus
We together are seated
in the Heavenlies!
As He is,
so will we.
Realizing
and making real
this truth
is the hardest part...

..the blabbering and prattling on prolly duzn't hep' much either, hunh?

CIAO!
g

2010/4/22 6:25
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Thanks for the input has helped a TON! I am also interested in the part about prophecy that you spoke of. My Dad believes he is a prophet (hasn't quite gotten to the Hairy fish slimed repent guy yet) but He has had words from the Lord to speak to my pastor who I am not sure really listened. The saddest part about the american culture is we go to church not expecting a super natural encounter with God and when one actually happens we completely throw it away and doubt the credibility.

My favorite prophet is Jeremiah, God gave him a but of Doom and Gloom messages to give yet he faithfully gave them, even though very few people actually listened to him he just kept right on prophecying because he was more concerned with pleasing God rather than man, if only we had this attitude in the church today.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/4/22 10:43Profile

Re:

It is the human default position to avert attention from that which is just a bit beyond our everyday see and be seen world. Even i tend to censor it out, but past journals kept (something of which is no longer done) fly in the face of reasonings. we try to find an obvious physical cause for everything that happens to us around us.
(example: Jn. 12:28,29)

Because i have seen God step in and do the extraordinary too often to count, human sensibilities have been forced to take a back seat: a different view.

This is why words spoken here in defence of God's doings -(as if He needs any help)- are along the lines of, "with God making himself known, expect the impossible as more than possible. Expect it as something normal..." or "...there is no such thing as supernatural with God. Anyway, if it occurs in the natural world, it is a natural thing. Extraordinary perhaps, but natural NTL."

I would not admit that prophecy was a gift recieved though the spirit of Christ plainly stated this to me. As well, not once, but twice, in front of two different congregations altogether, i was called out in front of everybody, and chastened by the Lord through 2 different ministers for trying to avoid God's call and annointing to be a prophet.

One should not think that they are called to be a prophet, per se. Yes, by all means desire the greater gifts and offices; but, in this, it is best to pray and ask the Lord what is desired of them, rather than forging ahead without revelation... God will make it very VERY clear if that is your calling, and if this be the case, it's more of a 'waiting' kind of thing. Don't go and do something just because of the calling: go when told to go and do when told to do. Anything else is pretense and false.

if one just develops a relationship with Jesus and our Father, that is really all it takes to find your place.

Every true believer has the spirit of prophecy; but, not everyone is called to minister as a prophet. (Rev. 19:10, Mt. 5:11-12, Jn. 15:26-16:15, I Cor. 14:26 <--|--> Eph. 4:11-15 etc.).

here's a few que s that might clue one in if God has called them into this office:
(these are from personal perspective and may not apply to the more willing obedient and submissive : He is changing me though.)

O.K.
lemme' think about it:

1. God tells you you are called.

2. You find yourself being severely rebuked by Him if you waiver.

3. If you compromise after rebuke, you are swiftly forced to face the consequences of chastening.
(my left leg has been broken 2 times, both of which the doctors said would never walk again. I got right with God immediately, and both times, the severe breaks healed way faster than 'normal': i do not even limp, and can do everything i used to be able to do before the chastenings. The Great Shepherd clearly points out the consequences of disobedience before it happens, and remains faithful to His Word to you.. and it can be very painful.)

4. People who do not fully believe that God is as he always has been will not even take heed when told a Word from the Lord, avoid you like the plague, and mock until judgement falls. When judgement falls, you are swept up in grief, and sometimes blamed... but you can't really say, "if you would have just listened..."
- few believe what you say, sometimes even about normal daily things.
- family and friends often forsake, avoid and even betray you.

5. Desire for the scriptures consumes you to the point of forgetting about eating, sleeping, etc. because God often shows you things that are not in your average acedemic christian book.

6.You walk in prayer, worshipping and communicating constantly back and forth with God, (sometimes just because everybody you know has 'something to do', even if you would just like to chit chat for a bit.)

7. God sometimes uses you as an example through your life circumstances, and it hurts; however, He pours out an overabundant supply of mercy and grace to more than see you through.
(If i do not have insight into what is neccesary in having His perspective re:whatever told to do, He often gives a firsthand experience to make me able to relate to it.)

8. Others who walk with God recognize you as one of them without a word spoken and will come right up and share company.

9. As time passes, you realize how quickly God changes you because others have trouble dealing with it.

10. People hate you for no obvious reason, or do not trust you, saying things like, "there is something i cannot put my finger on about you", so they are edgy around you.

etc.

( This listing is an attempt to give you clues that are not directly stated in the Bible but are indirectly alluded to. A good concordance and a Bible will clarify alot of those other things.)

Hope this helps bro.

Did you say Jeremiah?
Read "Death in the City" by Francis Schaeffer: Excellent!

A prophet is not in the future telling business, but rather speaks from the Lord what ever is best in His eyes to teach, strengthen, reveal and rebuke.

I hear so many say,"where are all the prophets?"
God says, "Where is MY church" ???

Since 2002, God has many times told me just what is going on, but rather than telling me to proclaim, he tells me to "Leave them alone".

(look that phrase up in your Bible.)

CIAO!
g

2010/4/22 16:30

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy