SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Focusing on God in prayer and Revival

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Focusing on God in prayer and Revival

This is one Issue Dave Legg recently brought up in his series on Revival and I think it a key Issue!
I have always thought Revival has three areas.
1. Worship
2. Bible Study
3. Prayer

I loved it when he said we focus to much on Revival or to much on say Miracles and not enough on God himself!
I think focusing and praying and getting all the other issues of life is so hard

Hebrews 12:2 KJV
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

I find it so hard because I have so many problems wanting him above all as there are so many problems that are rift in our lives!

2010/4/17 6:54Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Focusing on God in prayer and Revival

deltatom

I agree brother. I think we were discussing this same topic on a thread a few days ago. What brings revival, or in the case of the thread, another great awakening? It seems we focus on crying out day and night for revival as a goal, and end in itself. But I cannot see that as the scriptural pattern. What I do see in scripture is the need for a life spent in relentless pursuit of Him, a life laid down for Christ, a life surrendered to Him, and a life built upon the foundation of the word and prayer. This pursuit will allow God to deal with all of the issues in our lives that prevent us from being used freely of God to impact those around us. The more we become useable, the more we will be used, and the greater impact God will have on the world through the Holy Spirit that is in us and able to work through us. To me, that is the pursuit and revival is the fruit that will naturally be borne. I wonder, how many times has God desired to do something special in a place and has found no one who He could use to do it through???

Travis

2010/4/17 10:22Profile
terrybob

Yorkshire, England

Re: Focusing on God in prayer and Revival

Quote:
“The Door is open on street level to revival as it is to salvation and every other blessing. In coming to Him in repentance we come into revival, for He is Himself Revival and the simple Door to it. If it is contended that this is not the widespread, spectacular revival which is written about and which is needed today, we can only say that such a movement has always begun this way with God being allowed to deal with one person, and with that person giving his testimony. May it not be that the reason why God has not blessed us with revival as we have wanted it, is that we have sought it, not by faith, but by the works of the law (Rom. 9:32) and we have missed the door on street level? And may it not be that we have been expecting to "see revival" in others, rather than being willing to be personally revived ourselves and be the first to admit our need of this?

Is it not significant that when there is patently an experience of revival in lives, those revived do not talk about revival but rather about Jesus?” by Roy & Revel Hession

deltatom and Travis,

I agree with all that you are saying - Christian people often feel empty and dry and they know it. It has often been said that the Gospel is good news for bad people, and that includes us, the "saved" none more so than me.

After a long period in that dry and desolate place that many Christians know, I have been greatly helped in these past days by a little book by Roy & Revel Hession, "We would see Jesus", as I understand it this is now out of print but is readily available for free download from: http://www.christianissues.biz/revival.html (with the permission of the copyright holders).

I would commend it to you as a help along the Way - it certainly directed me again right back where I should be confessing sin at the foot of the cross and receiving forgiveness, day by day and moment by moment and putting things right with others. This then gives me a testimony to share and encourage others as I talk about the Lord Jesus working in my daily experience of life.

Let us therefore walk in the Light with the Lord and each other (see 1 John 1 v5-10)

Every blessing.

Terry Smith

2010/4/23 14:38Profile

Re:

Jesus is revival. Its the crisis of our age, a lack of awareness of His presence. Its Jesus Himself we desperately seek. Its confusing to Christians who know that they found Jesus, but there is also a life-long pursuit of Jesus and His presence. We must continualy seek His presence. Its the pearl of great price. Can we cry out as the psalmist did " As the deer panteth for the waterbrooks so my soul longeth after thee." Can we say as David said "Restore unto me, the joy of my salvation." Can we cry out to God and make this plea "Take not thy Holy Spirit from me." Can we pursue Holiness, can we desire, above anything else to have clean hands and a pure heart?

Revival is something that happens to us when the shekinah glory of the Lord comes down, when there is such an awareness of His presence that men and woman can can stand in the refining fire of God and exalt His holiness, fall on their faces in the awe and majesty that comes, not from a head knowledge, but from a radical encounter with a living God that has "stepped down." When He steps down, time ceases to have meaning. The cares of this world disappear. The world of all possibilities open up. There is great joy, there is weeping, the lost cry out "is there mercy for me," and they rejoice to find out , yes indeed there is mercy for the man of Calvary has come and walks in the midst of His people. Jesus, that name, the fullness of the Godhead, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords is revival. God Himself is an encounter.

A heart that has not been enraptured by love, is a heart that has not had an encounter with the Living God. Revival is encounter! In the agony of illumination , we cry out to God and from the very alter of the living God, with tongs mind you, the angel touches you with fire, refining fire. THIS IS REVIVAL. One man or woman will agonize at his or her state, he or she will cry out to God, and God will send fire from the alter itself . The impenitent will harden and will flee, and those who linger in the light from the coal from the alter will be revived and refined and the fire will spread and it will consume. And a people will cry out and worship God and they too will cry “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God almighty.”

Brother Tozer writes this in "Pursuit of God.'........

Everything is made to center upon the initial act of “accepting” Christ (a term, incidentally, which is not found in the Bible) and we are not expected thereafter to crave any further revelation of God to our souls. We have been snared in the coils of a spurious logic which insists that if we have found Him, we need no more seek Him.

This is set before us as the last word in orthodoxy, and it is taken for granted that no Bible-taught Christian ever believed otherwise. Thus the whole testimony of the worshiping, seeking, singing church on that subject is crisply set aside. The experiential heart-theology of a grand army of fragrant saints is rejected in favor of a smug interpretation of Scripture which would certainly have sounded strange to an Augustine, a Rutherford or a Brainerd.

In the midst of this great chill there are some, I rejoice to acknowledge, who will not be content with shallow logic. They will admit the force of the argument, and then turn away with tears to hunt some lonely place and pray, “O God, show me Thy glory.” They want to taste, to touch with their hearts, to see with their inner eyes the wonder that is God.

I want deliberately to encourage this mighty longing after God. The lack of it has brought us to our present low estate. The stiff and wooden quality about our religious lives is a result of our lack of holy desire. Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth. Acute desire must be present or there will be no manifestation of Christ to His people. He waits to be wanted. Too bad that with many of us He waits so long, so very long, in vain.— Pursuit of God

2010/4/23 19:48
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Amen Frank

Travis

2010/4/23 20:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy