SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is JOY?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
carly49

Ontario

What is JOY?

I went on a christian carribean cruise a few years ago, sponsored by John Hagge and Jesse Duplantis Ministries. One day, while standing on the deck by myself, a man came up to me who I didn't know and told me that he had a message from the Lord for me. He said one word, and then spelled it, and gave me it's message:

J O Y

J = Jesus First

O = Others Next

Y = Yourself Last

I suppose if we do this daily, we can be filled with the JOY of the Lord in our lives on a continuing basis.

My definition of Joy is the same as the dictionary's...."The emotion produced by gratified desire, success, happy, fortune, exultation, etc., gladness, happiness, delight.

I have read the book "Unexpected Joy" by John DeVries. He is a christian missionary in some of the asian countires. He says: "In fact, true joy appears to come in through the back door." I certainly agree with that.

I see many christians who claim to have the JOY of the Lord in their life, but, I never see them smile or be happy. They walk around with sour faces and sour disposition.

How can this be? What is your input?

Carly :-D

2004/10/15 18:48Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: What is JOY?

Great post and question. And yes there is a joy that is from God and there is a joy that is not really joy but pleasure and other feelings that gives a false joy for but a moment. Here is a devotional from D.L. Moody that I recently posted on the site that speaks about this:

[b]October 7[/b]
[i]When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. - Matthew 2:10[/i]

We who look for Jesus ought to be joyful; it is no credit to our Lord whe we look as though we were seeking His grave. The dull looks of Christ's followers have injured Him in the sight of the world. Let us, then, smile as we go, for we have the star if we look upward and out ourselves in the right path. - Thomas Champness

2004/10/15 19:14Profile
dohzman

Re: What is JOY?

I think we often times confuse joy with happiness.It seems in my life and the lives of others I know the only way to really have the joy of the Lord is to be secure in your relationship with Jesus in order that you can keep an eternal prospective.Unfortunitly in America we seem to have embraced an immediate gospel with immediate self gratification.If our immediate circumstances aren"t good we aren't happy/joyful---confusing the two.I think we need an eternal prospective.What do you think?

2004/10/16 8:32Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Unfortunitly in America we seem to have embraced an immediate gospel with immediate self gratification.If our immediate circumstances aren"t good we aren't happy/joyful---confusing the two.I think we need an eternal prospective.What do you think?

WOW brother I think you hit the nail on the head! It would seem to me that happiness is dependant on circumstances whereas joy is not! If you have true joy it will go past circumstances and problems and be something of a foundation. If there is a peace that superpasses all human understanding as the scripture says I am sure there is also a love and joy that does also. Sadly in my life and I am sure many others in North America we live so much by sight that we allow small circumstances to sometimes control our emotions and our joy and peace in the Lord.

2004/10/16 9:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy