SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : question about sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

question about sin

I just got a new job at an assistant living place and today we didn't have any work really left to do and they told me i could stay or go. I still had 2 hours left on the clock but i decided to just go home early since they said i could. But my question is that i am in debt and have a lot of money that i still own to creditors etc. Is it a sin that i left when i could have stayed knowing my debt situation, this has really made my conscious uneasy for almost any job because i want to leave so much but at the same time i have debt.

2010/4/9 17:03
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: question about sin

Not a wise idea to leave a new job just because they
said you could. This bothers you because you know
it does not reflect well on you as a Christian and
as a worker. There is a principle here; and you
must learn to be disciplined and focus on doing
well and doing right on the job!!

2010/4/9 17:54Profile

Re:

i didn't quit the job he said i could go home early that was really it and i decided to go home, i work again monday.

2010/4/9 18:20
wind_blows

Re:

I think going home was fine. Staying or going in my opinion is fine either way because your boss was giving you an option. If you were skipping out on work all the time and not paying your bills then there would be an issue but i have a friend who has bills and he often will volunteer to leave work a few hours early so that the guys who have a wife and children can stay and get there full hours in. Pray about it and if the next time your boss offers you to stay or leave and you feel led to stay then do. Don't let the enemy rack you with guilt over this. Keep your eyes on Jesus and give thanks for those two hours he gave you to rest perhaps Monday He has for you to work 2 extra hours:)

in Him
ellie

2010/4/9 18:30Profile
mguldner

Kansas

I actually think that it would have been a sin to stay :) You didn't have anything to do, so you probably would have been standing around doing nothing so the company wouldn't really be getting their money's worth out of your work.

2010/4/9 19:02Profile

Re:

well thanks for telling me that brother it makes it sound a lot better because he told me to do something and act like i was working. Thanks for the input

2010/4/9 19:35
Ceri

Notts. England.

Re:

Please don't rack yourself with guilt about this. you did nothing wrong. Your heart is in the right place in working towards getting out of debt which will probably take a while anyway, so don't get too stressed up about it but take each day as it comes.
It helps to pay off smaller debts first then you can put more money into the larger debts - this also spurs you on and is encouraging you as you see the debt list getting shorter.
I would advise you to contact debt help organisations.
In Britain we have a Christian organisation called 'Christians against poverty'I don't know if they are available in your country.
We went through a bankruptcy and lost our home of 21 years and for the past two years have lived 'cash only' on what income we have coming in.
At first it was a challenge but it is amazing the cuts you can make in spending when you are focused and have no choice but to live that way! Even when we are allowed it again, we will never have a credit card again! the experience has also taught our children age 20 & 21 the value of money and how to handle it which holds them in good stead for their future.
It can be exhausting living by faith and trusting fully in the Lord to provide and meet our needs but I can honestly say that the Lord has never let us down, He has been our Jehovah Jireh our provider and our needs have always been met in amazing ways. Just throw yourself on the Lord with a childlike faith to help you through this situation - He knows what you have need of - Scripture says 'Do not worry what you shall eat or what you shall wear for your heavenly father knows you have need of these things.'

2010/4/9 19:50Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I actually took a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University Course, It was good as a young guy going through it because it taught my wife and I a lot about a budget. When I first got married my wife insisted on credit cards but I just wouldn't allow it because I saw how credit cards ate my brother alive with bills. So I luckily avoided that sinking boat. Ceri gave some great advise with taking the smaller debt out first, Its call the Snowball effect I think. But anywho I will be praying for you brother.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/4/9 20:19Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Again, I was listening to Zac Poonen (huge grin), and he provided a wonderful explanation for 1 Cor 6.12 [i]You say, “For me, everything is permitted”? Maybe, but not everything is helpful (profitable). “For me, everything is permitted”? Maybe, but as far as I am concerned, I am not going to let anything gain control over me.[/i] CJB

Zac explained that that verse exposes two different types of Christians; the one who has to ask, "How close can I get before I go over the edge?" He said that one is careless and will build his house next to the edge and although he may not fall over the edge, his children will while they are out playing. And the other Christian though he is free to do the same will not because it is not profitable for him.... here or in eternity.

Clearly, it's your job and you (like any of us) are free to go home whenever you want but what is more profitable for you? And to take this a step further, what is more profitable for your family? Remember this... you cannot make what you do a "law" in your life! Some days, it might be profitable to stay and some other days, it might be more profitable to go home and spend that time with your family.

There is an old saying that makes much more sense in these economic times: "Make hay while the sun shines!" My God-fearing pastor years ago used to tell us, "When you get overtime, do NOT think you are 'in the money' and go shopping....overtime pay is to pay off debt not to make new debt." (huge grin) Some listened and some didn't. God is STILL a good God!!

God bless you brother!! Don't beat yourself up about going home!!

2010/4/9 22:02Profile

To be honest, I think you're being way too overcritical in this situation. I'm guessing that you are the type of person that has high standards and that you are probably the hardest on yourself.

We're not meant to be perfect. And after we're saved, we're still a work in progress.

And maybe God wanted you to spend some time relaxing after a hard day of work. I believe God wants us to be balanced. He wants us to suffer for Him but also enjoy what He has given us. The hard part is balancing the two.

I don't think God would want you to work 16 hours a day to pay off your debt as quickly as possible. I don't have any verse support for this.

I think maybe he wants you to take one day at a time.

“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Matthew 6:34

I'd say pay off your debt but do it at a reasonable pace.

2010/4/10 1:11

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy