SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Earthquakes

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Earthquakes

After today, in this year alone, there will have been well over 1900 earthquakes shake the nations.

Some say that God's judgement is not the reason for this.
* HUMPH*

*pondering*
What does it all mean?

Of course most are well aware that these are the birthpains of the coming end of this age.
... but...
Aside from the Olivet prophecies of Jesus, the prophecy of the earthquake at Jesus crucifixion, and things fortold for breaking God's Law thus cursing ourselves, like "the land shall spit you out", is there anything more specific that has been looked into by anyone here?

It is not only because the 'kosmos' is on it's last leg, is it?

Gregg

2010/4/7 14:11
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Earthquakes

GOD has said; "Once more I will shake the
heavens and the earth."

Be sure that your faith and hope are in
things that are unshakeable: His kingdom,
His purposes, and His truth!!

2010/4/7 15:44Profile
SHMILY

Northern Idaho

Greetings

Just a clarification.

As of 20:51 UTC today there were 1050 earthquakes on the map for the last week. That's up from 124 shown for the preceeding week last Saturday. Those are just the ones listed ~ 2.5 or greater in the USA and 4.5 or greater for the rest of the world.

Source: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

It is interesting to watch the numbers rise and fall ~ like birth pains.

The world (and even some "Christians") will continue to try to explain away the workings of the Lord.

We must be faithful to proclaim Him and His coming.

Maranatha!
REJOICE! =)

2010/4/7 17:09Profile

Re:

it was based on known tectonic plate shifts, irregardless of magnitude.

CIAO!

gregoreo

2010/4/7 18:27
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Romans 1 teaches that the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all unrighteousness and men who suppress the truth. The fact of the matter is we are ALWAYS living in a world under judgment. God is ALWAYS judging the world and its sin, in the here and now. Yes, these are last days things. Yes, these are "natural" things. But these are things that happen because God is always judging the sin of this world in small measures, between now and eternity. Of course, I believe these things are showing we are close to the end. But, even apart from eschatological considerations, the world is always under judgment.

2010/4/7 22:58Profile

Re:

I lived in California, in the greater L.A. area for almost all my life. And it's crazy here. Even non-christians feel that something is coming.

The last one hit in 1994 and it's been way too long. These last two months, I probably felt about 10 earthquakes. Not major ones but pretty medium sized ones. It was really quiet for a long long time.

2010/4/10 8:22
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Gregg:

I don't believe it is God's judgment at all. He is dealing with man at this time in mercy and grace. Judgment is coming, and it will be terrible, and it will be just!! Earthquakes will be pleasant in comparison. But the time of judgment, though near, is not yet.

That being said, the whole of creation groans and travails. I think you are right in one respect. The old cosmos, and for sure the earth, is on its last leg. God's judgment on sin 6000 years ago did a serious job of rearranging the globe. Several places in scripture we find that earthquakes will increase just prior to the return of the Lord. It is one of the signs of the times, one of many signs that we can see happening all around us. Matt.24:7, Mark 13:8, Luke 21:11.

Look up. Your redemption draweth nigh.

Travis

2010/4/10 10:58Profile

Re:

by twayneb on 2010/4/10 6:58:20

Gregg:

I don't believe it is God's judgment at all. He is dealing with man at this time in mercy and grace. Judgment is coming, and it will be terrible, and it will be just!! Earthquakes will be pleasant in comparison. But the time of judgment, though near, is not yet.
-----------------------------------------
Are you speaking of final judgement. i haven't really looked into all this that detailed.

I'm in a tangled dander about this whole God's judgement -vs- satan's vengance. This is why, at the onset of the "A Can of Worms" thread it was called the "wrath of satan-(because he knows his time is short)", in which i was corrected that it is not the wrath of satan, but, rather God's judgement.

There are 5 types of judgement referred to in the N.T., one of which-(the fiery wrath and indignation of a thrice Holy God poured out on all that stands against Him)-we who believe are not going to suffer, and that's about all i am sure of.

Will this qualify me towards entering The Dunderhead Sweepstakes this year? I try to talk about only what i'm sure of, but there's more brewing deep beneath the surface than anyone cares to answer ...so we'll take it one thing at a time.

Anyway, does anybody out there care to give it their best shot in the judgement/wrath dept.?

Quote:
Look up. Your redemption draweth nigh.

Amin!
Hallel u Yah Yahshuveh!
This is the issue of watching, which should have been first mentioned, but never was in the "...Worms" thread.

Yeah, you right!
(like heard said in N.O.L.A.)

g

2010/4/10 13:25
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

sure, I am speaking of final judgment on sin. There are those who believe that natural calamities such as earthquakes, fires, floods, hurricanes, etc. are today being sent from God as a judgment on those who are committing sin. Many of them would vehemently disagree with me, but I don't believe that to be the case at all. These things are simply manifestations of the corruption that is part of our fallen world. I don't believe them brewed up by Satan or sent by God. Rather they are a "natural" part of a corrupt, fallen system we call earth. I believe that when Jesus died on the cross, God suspended judgment and deals with man on the basis of grace, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. In the old testament we find things happening such as the ground opening up and swallowing people as judgment from God. Things changed with the sacrifice of Christ and judgment is reserved until that great day of the Lord when His wrath will be poured out on all those who have rejected the sacrifice of Christ.

Travis

By the way, you cannot take the title of Dunderhead. Sorry. They only give that award to one person and I think I have the trophy in my living room. :-)

2010/4/10 16:50Profile

Re:

by twayneb on 2010/4/10 12:50:51:

sure, I am speaking of final judgment on sin. There are those who believe that natural calamities such as earthquakes, fires, floods, hurricanes, etc. are today being sent from God as a judgment on those who are committing sin. Many of them would vehemently disagree with me, but I don't believe that to be the case at all. These things are simply manifestations of the corruption that is part of our fallen world. I don't believe them brewed up by Satan or sent by God. Rather they are a "natural" part of a corrupt, fallen system...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

From here it can be agreed that, as you say, "I believe that when Jesus died on the cross, God suspended judgment and deals with man on the basis of grace, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance."

Here's the problem with that:
Many fail to realize that because we humans are under God's 'grace', rejection of it incurs greater judgement.

A person is either walking towards God who generously gives His 'gifts of charity', or away from this same 'grace' in refusal through unbelief.

This is what God judges.

An example that can be given you right off the top of this ole' noggin is Jesus on Olivet bemoaning the fact that those of Jerusalem had "missed their day of visitation" and his desire to "gather them as a hen gathers her chicks".

After this he proceeds to prophecy the results of this refusal through unbelief:

"...this generation shall not pass...til' these things be fulfilled..."

Even as the mob of Israel shouted out,"...crucify him", Pilate said "this man is innocent".

They said, "let his blood be on us and our children."

They were destroyed as a gathered nation: scattered to the 4 winds.

Less than 40 years passed (genos=generation) before, "one stone was not left upon another" and so many children of Avraham's flesh were crucified there was a shortage of wood in the area.

Those who were not crucified were sold into slavery. This created such a glut in the slave market of the 1st century, that many were left in abandoned places to die w/o food or water.
(Heb. 10:28)

OK, so that is unbelievers.
What about believers???

The 2nd instance reminding us of the danger of refusing God's grace is that of Annanias and Saphira (Acts 5).
(Heb. 10:29)

There comes a point when God says enough is enough.
It is true for believers and unbelievers.
It is true for individuals as well as whole nations.
God shows no special respect or favor just because of who we may think we are.
If the nations are just a drop in a whole bucket,
where does that put an individual who rejects His grace?

Praise God for being merciful even in Judgement!

That time of judgement fortold is coming upon this world shortly, of which we are now seeing just the birthpains.

If not for His grace given in mercy, then for His pending judgement, we should all fear God and depart from evil.

CIAO!
Acts 20:32
g

2010/4/19 8:44

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy