Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Pentecostal Baptist

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Pentecostal Baptist

I was curious as to if there is such an animal as a Pentecostal Baptist. :) I am starting to look at what I truly believe and am starting to understand both schools of Doctrine and is it logical and possible to believe both? Something that my head pastor avoids is Baptist doctrines because of the "Once Saved Always Saved" Theology. Any comments or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/3/31 7:04Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Pentecostal Baptist

Matthew,

Are you talking about doctrine? I humbly admit that I don't know anything about the doctrine side of things.

But I have known 2 couples and six formerly baptist who have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit this past year alone! Several years ago we all attended the same church; I don't know that any of them consider themselves of the a pentecostalist or a baptist anymore! I would say they are "Jesusist" now!! LOL As it should be!!

God bless you!!

2010/3/31 7:14Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Southern Baptists are officially against the Pentecostal belief in speaking in tongues. You can be excommunicated from the SBC for doing such. I have known of people who have had such happen to them.

2010/3/31 7:19Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Quote:
I don't know that any of them consider themselves of the a pentecostalist or a baptist anymore! I would say they are "Jesusist" now!! LOL As it should be!!

I agree whole heartily I am a Christian and Child of God.

Quote:
You can be excommunicated from the SBC for doing such.

That is interesting I didn't know that, but that seems pretty extreme do you know the difference between their views of the Baptism as oppose to Pentecostals interpretation? Thanks for the information!

2010/3/31 7:24Profile

I know a few Bapticostals. Typically one would be run out of the Baptist church for speaking in tongues. I went to Calvary Baptist Bible Church in Belton, MO and they have it in their statement of faith. They make it clear that people of "the tongue speaking persusasion," would not be welcome in their institution. You can imagine that I had an interesting experience there. Yet it was there that I had a vision to see the rise of a "Bapticostal" movement. ........brother Frank

2010/3/31 7:51
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Hum well brother Frank I believe I am somewhat a part of that Bapticostal movement then. I think what I am seeing is that I have listened to a lot of Baptist preaching on here and their speaking truth so it's kind of hard to disagree with that. I tried to have my pastor listen to Paul Washer's Ten Indictments of the Church and he listened to it but completely disregarded it because Paul Washer is baptist. Kind of disappointing but I understand what Paul Washer is talking about and see his point of view and can't really disagree with it because it's truth.

2010/3/31 8:05Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

I too have a number of friends who consider themselves bapticostals. I have even heard of churches of this kind. I am sure it the acceptability will vary with the bent of the gathering.

2010/3/31 9:13Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: bigotry on both sides

Matthew,

There is extreme bigotry on both sides. God has so graciously brought me through many (bad and misplaced) attitudes in my Christian walk. Early on, I was like your pastor except WORSE, if it even 'smelled' Baptist, I would totally disregard it or the person, "they couldn't possibly have anything to say to benefit me." Yeah, makes me cringe today too. It's only the Lord's compassion that I was not consumed in my own religious bigotry.

When I went to the church where I met the "baptists" (lol), it didn't say baptist anywhere on any piece of literature or I can tell you that I would not have went back the second sunday and that was just in 2001!! I went to that church for six months before I found out that the leadership adhered to the southern baptist convention but it was too late; the Lord had allowed to fall in love with the people. Slowly they learned I was of the gifts-are-for-today persuasion and it was too late for them as well!! (huge grin)

In that time, the Lord has done a great work in my life and attitude about those of different beliefs (praise His name!) and I can now see what the Lord wants to do for both denominations... if God could get "religious people" past their prejudices and BOTH sets of denominations past their church dogma - God could and would work miracles around this world but as it is, He only gets to work within the confines of the box each of them have Him in!! Sometimes He gets out and it seems to be a little more often! Haha

2010/3/31 9:32Profile
Axe1338

Miami, Fl

Re:

I am not too sure about a Pentecostal Baptist, but there are Reformed Charismatics; I myself being one. There are prominent Evangelicals out there who believe the same such as Piper, Grudem, Virgo, and Mahaney.

2010/3/31 9:41Profile

Quote:
I was curious as to if there is such an animal as a Pentecostal Baptist. :)

ROFL

I think there is such a creature, it exists in the open mindedness of individuals who are willing to step outside of their established creeds.

I don't like to claim myself as a Pentecostal, but I am of that pedigree by experience.

I generally don't read Baptist literature because of their denunciation of the gifts of the spirit having ceased in the first century. But I am reading a book dated 1875 by a Baptist who also was a revivalist. So far in my reading he does not represent present day Baptists at all. In his writings he does not discourage the gifts of the Spirit. However, his main theme is repentance, and a revival without repentance and change is not a revival.

The one thing that I like about the Baptist is their good foundation regarding the grace of God and our reconciliation to God which seems to be wanting in the Pentecostal churches. But I believe there can be a balance with the two. The difficulty is becoming too extreme. I have been in Pentecostal churches that have that balance. And I have been in Baptist Churches that were not discouraged when someone gave a message in tongues and another interpreted. They were more reverent when such a word came forth, but Pentecostals are little bit more boisterous and nothing wrong with that, but a good silence would be nice to consider what was said instead of rejoicing in the fact that God spoke.

2010/3/31 10:30

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy