SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Can a Christian have fun and still be a Christian?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

One of Christianity's most polarizing figures, John Calvin, wrote a great book on this topic called "The Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life." I felt when I read this that Calvin brought great balance to this particular topic. There certainly are two extremes, but too often we swing gray area pendulums away from their God designed equilibrium.

Keep the passion in the prayer closet, not on our phylacteries.

2010/3/30 13:03Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

Is it OK for Christians to have fun? ... YES! The heavy work to which we have been called and the urgent nature of our business here need not be joyless. God not only wants us joyful, but...dare I say it...HAPPY! I've often heard preachers attempt to wax eloquent on the differences between "joy" and "happiness". "Joy", they say, "Is something that is buried deep down inside the heart. Happiness, on the other hand, is based on happenstance. Therefore God has not called us to be happy, but to be joyful!" I think that this is a horrible point of view and reflects more of a puritanical view of Christianity than an apostolic view.

I'm always reminded of Paul's usage of Deut 25:4 in 1 Cor 9:9, "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain..." Paul filters this scripture through the finished works of Christ and comes up with a prophetic analogy concerning preachers being able to earn their living from the gospel. In other words, allow the oxen to partake of the fruit while he is working so that he does not become exhausted and quit. I often wonder if that is why Jesus told us that His "yoke" was easy and that his burden was light! Perhaps it is the intoxicating joy of a God-filled life that fuels and enables us to face the difficult and heart-breaking task set before us!

A smiling face and a happy heart are definite indicators of good theology and a Spirit filled life...whereas a somber expression, a fallen countenance and a furrowed brow are signs of defeat and pride. I'll take the child-like path any day! Thank you Jesus for making me so HAPPY! :-)

ECCLESIASTES 5:18-20
18 Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him--for this is his lot. 19 Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work--this is a gift of God. 20 He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart.

BTW--GREAT WORDS KINGJIMMY!

2010/3/30 13:23Profile
learn

Re: Can a Christian have fun and still be a Christian?

I'm sure the pastor had good intentions when asking that question. However, without more clarification/limitation to the question if this was not given (eg: the amount of time spent witnessing, praying etc versus entertainment), most people will say yes and the answer will be correct. Many true Christians will also answer yes too.

Eg: your question : can a soldier have fun while a fierce war is raging.
Answer : Yes and its good for him. A soldier do not and should not fight 24/7. There will be periods of rest where the soldiers will have fun such as playing pranks on each other, joking etc to relieve the tension. If there was none, more soldiers will go mad. That was what I was thinking when I read your question.

Thus, can you see where this is going. If no clarification/limitation was given (eg: amount of time spent witnessing, praying etc versus entertainment, do we not care for lost souls etc), then one cannot get angry/down/become self righteous with the answer received as the question was lacking.

BTW, can a Christian think of getting married and still be a Christian. After all, the huge time spent on the courting process could be better used to save souls. No answer required for this.

See how dangerous this seemingly innocent question of "can a christian have fun and still be a Christian" .

2010/3/30 17:21Profile

Can we not take another look at that question?

Can a soldier have fun while a fierce war is raging?

Will there always be war?

Can a fireman have fun while babies are screaming trapped in a burning house?

Is the house going to burn forever?

Can a doctor have fun while three patients on the floor are in code blue?

Will they not stabilize the situation?

Lets get real.

Don't make Christ out to be some crusty old loaf of bread.

I find it "fun" to have dinner with my Mother.

I have fun when I play with my cat.

I have fun when I am fellow shipping with saints.

I have fun when I am frolicking through the meadows in the summer time.

I find it gay and refreshing to walk through an art gallery or forage for old books in a used store whether Christian or not.

I take Jesus with me on the Ferris Wheel, and we have loads of fun on that.

If you can't have fun, don't!! We are free to enjoy life.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

2010/3/30 17:37
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re:

Quote:
by KingJimmy on 2010/3/30 8:37:36

Quote:
"And Jesus saw the children bouncing a red ball back and forth to eachother on the streets of Jerusalem, and wept..." Matthew 29:16

Yes, Jimmy, he saw the children, and he wept:

Luc 19:41 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it,
Luc 19:42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.
Luc 19:43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,
Luc 19:44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

He later told their mothers to weep for them:

Luc 23:27 And there followed him a great company of people, and of women, which also bewailed and lamented him.
Luc 23:28 But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.
Luc 23:29 For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck.
Luc 23:30 Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us.
Luc 23:31 For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?

We have well established our right to have fun. We've been doing it for decades.

In every instance where there was genuine Biblical revival (the theme of this site), it came about because burdened Christians SO lost their focus on fun and entertainment and enjoyment of life on earth, and so heavily focused on the coming destruction of those around them (who may have appeared to be happy at the moment) that they moved the heart of God with their concern.

2010/3/30 18:34Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

In every instance where there was genuine Biblical revival

Yes, but regular ordinary life did not cease to exist. Becoming ascetics who don't function in normal life is condemned in Colossians 2. We must have our priorities no doubt, and no doubt, we ought not glutton ourselves with entertainment. But at the same time, being ascetics never moves the hand of God.

But, as it is, I'm not so much interested in what you call "Biblical revival." I'm interested in living the normal Christian life, as a disciple of our Lord. I seek to do that daily, and pray others do as well. Along the way, Lord willing, I hope to have some fun too. Indeed, I hope to have some fun with the Lord, and from time to time, I do. I love when the Lord plays hide-n-go-seek with my car keys. (I kid you not, I believe He does)

And contrary to the opinion of Ravenhill and others who paint this gloomy picture of our Lord, our Lord did have fun while on earth. So much so that the Pharisees were offended at Him, and accused him of being a glutton and drunkard. Seems that our Lord was a rather social guy. Yeah, He ruined a party or two in His day, but not always. In fact, in John 2 we read how he turned water into wine. Seems like He was doing some serious celebrating that day, and encouraged others to do the same. As much as I admire John Wesley and Methodists, our Lord was not one, nor would He have been one.

Also, you may want to revisit your original post. The question posed was "Can a Christian have fun and still be a Christian?" Not "Can we have revival and fun at the same time?" And honestly, to deny you can, in my opinion is heresy, and has nothing to do with Scriptural Christianity. It smacks of romanticism and a spirit which does not have its origins in heaven. Such is something I wish we would do better to guard our hearts from.

Brethren, let's be Biblical about these things.

2010/3/30 19:07Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Quote:
Can a Christian have fun and still be a Christian?

You bet! If this offends anybody, you better not come to ANY of our family get-to-gethers. We laugh and talk and reminisce, tell stories and laugh our heads off - or almost. And we also talk about what the LORD has done in our lives, discuss ethics, theology - whatever happens to come to our mind that is uplifting.

Yes, I love to get together with friends or relatives who are of the same mindset as we since we are such an encouragement to each other and this includes times of fun.

My thoughts...

ginnyrose

2010/3/30 19:52Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Being that joy is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit, I would say if you lack joy (and having fun is something that accompanies joyful people), then you aren't saved.

2010/3/30 19:58Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Someone once said that sin is a God given desire exercised in an evil manner. Something to that effect anyway, but you get the point. Not everything is going to always be black or white. There are certain things that are always going to be wrong, but the vast majority of actions and emotions can be practiced in a Godly way.

The simple fact that we CAN laugh, and WANT to have fun, means that it is God given. Should we laugh our way through life, no. We are told to be sober minded. Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice. I think rejoicing is fun. Watching my little boy play is fun, and I can pray for him like there is no tomorrow while doing it. Watching my little girl learn to walk is fun, and I can do that too while praying for her like there is no tomorrow.

Come on, was this supposed to be a rhetorical question just to get us to think about what we're doing for the Kingdom? The idea that a Christian can't have fun is legalism at best.

2010/3/30 22:34Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Quote:
Come on, was this supposed to be a rhetorical question just to get us to think about what we're doing for the Kingdom? The idea that a Christian can't have fun is legalism at best.

I thought maybe it was meant as a rhetorical question as well but now I am not so sure. I have to agree saying that christian should not or can not have fun or enjoyment is legalism and not of the Lord. God wants us to care about the lost and to seek Him on there behalf but I think He also has joy and times of rejoicing for us as well!

in Him
ellie

2010/3/31 0:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy