SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Trophimus and Donald Gee

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Trophimus and Donald Gee

I didn't want to disturb Hulsey's posting but thought some might be interested to know more about Donald Gee. Gee was unusual in many respects and a very different kind of character from many of the early UK Pentecostal leaders. His theme was often 'balance', to such a degree that his students at the British AoG Bible College sometimes accused him of being 'unbalanced on the topic of balance'. He was a very sober character in comparison with many of his day. He was sometimes regarded as being too 'stuffy' and without the 'fire' of some of his contemporaries, but he threw in his lot with a group of despised leaders and had a unique role among them.

He was also unusual in his ecumenic breadth. A personal friend was a Catholic priest with whom he enjoined some years of deep fellowship; this would have made him an immediate object of suspicion by many. His name is sometimes linked with that of David du Plessis a South African Pentecostal who became a link with the World Council of Churches and a bridge for the Pentecostal experience into mainline denominations. In this Gee was a supporter. He was not doctrinaire in his theology and always looked to a wider move of the Spirit amongst the denominations. Both Gee and du Plessis were really on the edge of Pentecostal movement and distrusted by many.

His support for ecumenicism and for du Plessis caused many to regard him as unsafe and not representative of the British Pentecostal movement. At a time when extreme positions were being taken Donald Gee represented a much more open kind of Pentecostal, and although respected for his Bible knowledge I don't think he was ever regarded with the same affection as many others. All this is not to undermine 'Trophimus, I left sick' but just to put Gee in context as a more moderate than usual Pentecostal whose views increasingly isolated him from the 'herd'.

2004/10/12 14:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy