SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Mike Adkins: A Man Called Norman

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Mike Adkins: A Man Called Norman

Greetings!

As a child, Mike Adkins visited our church. Adkins is a soft spoken country preacher and gospel singer. He sang quite a few songs (such as [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtUNkbFfTHk]Adoration[/url], Be At Peace My Child and What's Wrong With My Children). More than his music, I remember hearing his testimony of reaching out to a lonely, unwanted man in his home town.

I looked his up via Google, and I found part of this testimony online. It is found in places like YouTube and several other websites. You can also included at Focus on the Family. The story was actually made into a Christian movie called A MAN CALLED NORMAN. I have never watched it, but the testimony itself has always brought me to tears. It reminds me of how we can be intent on winning the world for Jesus but neglecting a neighbor across the street.

Click [url=http://listen.family.org/daily/A000000954.cfm]HERE[/url] to listen to Brother Mike's very touching testimony. I pray that you are as challenged and convicted as I was.

2010/3/13 20:09Profile
myexodus

Re: Mike Adkins: A Man Called Norman

Hi Chris, I totally agree! :-) I first heard Mike Adkins share this story on Focus on the Family in the 80's and it was a tremendous blessing. I've never forgotten the impact it had on me. I found the book in a used book store years later and it is a very cherished story. Thank you for sharing! I will definitely listen again. May He who is faithful to keep us and grow us up, reveal His heart to us through this story.

Bless you!
Lois

2010/3/13 21:02Profile
live4jc

Re:

Praise God, thanks for sharing this Chris ! This was a wonderful story. I had felt God do something in my own heart last year at a point when my neighbour's dogs were barking all the time, and I felt like God was challenging me and saying, "whenever you hear those dogs bark, pray for your neighbour". After that God had melted my heart towards him, which had bitterness in it, before that.

There was also a quote I had come across from Leonard Ravenhill, whom I know you had met, which had spoken deeply to me, during the time I was struggling with my 'neighbour problem'. This quote had spoken to me of the callousness of my attitude, considering how small a barking problem was, compared the eternal value of my neighbour's soul.

Here's the quote :

"Have the Holiness people set a guard at the door of the beauty parlors lest any sister should enter to get her hair curled, while a block away there is a string of prostitutes trying to sell their sin-wracked bodies with none to tell them of eternal love?"

It was such a blessing to see how the bitterness went in an instant as soon as I started praying for my neighbour about his soul.

I need to pray for my neighbour again, and have been challenged to love him in the way that Mike Adkins did, his neighbour. I have shared a bit about Christ with him and have asked him to church, but this message is a reminder of how love doesn't just try once or twice and then gives up. It persists and it perseveres.

Thanks again for sharing this. God bless you :)

John

2010/3/13 22:29Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

I have read the book about Norman and love Mike Adkins music. I look forward to listening to the link when I have time. Thanks for sharing.

I think God is bringing the church back to biblical christianity. The sermon on the mount and a crucified life. It isn't all about me anymore.

2010/3/13 23:03Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Goldminer...

Yes, I enjoy listening to his music too. It is funny, because this type of music is certainly not the type that I listened to before I met the Lord. Yet, songs like [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ujXSpvafI]Adoration[/url] have blessed me tremendously.

In addition to [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ujXSpvafI]Adoration[/url] and Here I am again, I have always been blessed by What's Wrong with my Children? Here are the lyrics:

[b]What's Wrong With My Children[/b]
Words and Music by Mike Adkins

[i]Chorus[/i]
What's wrong with My children; why won't they praise Me?
Am I not King of kings and am I not LORD of lords?
What's wrong with my children; why won't they praise Me?
I've given them everything, but they have no joy.

[i]Verse[/i]
Did I not roll back the sea, suffer on Calvary?
I'm Alpha, Omega, the Beginning and End.
Though I supply all their needs, they never speak to Me.
What's wrong with my children, am I not their LORD?

[i]Chorus[/i]
What's wrong with My children?
Why won't they praise Me?
Am I not King of kings?
And am I not LORD of lords?

I've given them everything,
but they have no joy.

[i]Verse 2[/i]
They assemble in My Name
and sing of their love for Me;
But the song's not from their heart
and I can't hear them sing.

Are they ashamed of Me?
Afraid someone will see
if they lift up their hands towards heaven above
and give honor to Me?

[i]Chorus[/i]
Am I not King of kings
Am I not LORD of lords?

What's wrong with my children?
I've given them everything,
but they have no joy.

[i]Tag[/i]
Am I not their LORD?

2010/3/14 22:35Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

God certainly does use plain old coal miner guys, doesn't He. I love all his songs. I cut my christian teeth on them 30 some years ago.

2010/3/15 10:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy