SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : WSC Q.1 - What is the cheif end of man?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dougkristen

WSC Q.1 - What is the cheif end of man?

Question 1.

What is the chief end of man?

Grace,
Doug

2004/10/11 14:28Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re: WSC Q.1 - What is the cheif end of man?

Hello brother Doug

For me this passage does it…

Romans 8:17-25 17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. 18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. 20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, 21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. 23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. 24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? 25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

James

2004/10/11 16:01Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The more and more I am reading scriptures this week I have been seeing "glorify" surely that is our cheif vocation. And yes I have cheated because I know the answer to the cathecism.

2004/10/11 16:07Profile
todd

California

My favorite answer to that question is the slightly altered version...

The chief end of man is to glorify God [i]by[/i] enjoying Him forever.

This goes along with the profound notion (which I believe), that [b]God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him[/b].

2004/10/11 18:57Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

John Piper's definately on to something with that one. I'm still working on really living that way, though.

2004/10/11 19:44Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re:

That is beautiful Todd!

2004/10/11 19:48Profile
todd

California

Re:

Isn't it though?
Wish I could take the credit for any of those ideas but I can't. Check out folks like John Piper, S.J. Hill, and Mike Bickle for more of where that came from.

2004/10/11 20:04Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:

The following verses answer this question for me;

[i]Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.[/i]
(Ephesians 1:3-6)

Before the world was made, it was the Father's heart to have a vast family of sons and daughters conformed to the image of His beloved Son, to His praise and glory! That is our chief end.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/10/11 20:39Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Quote:

Yes, to all that has been posted here.

Quote:
[7 ] We glorify God by working out our own salvation..God has twisted together his glory and our good.We glorify him by promoting our own salvation.It is a glory to God to have multitudes of converts;now,his design of free grace takes,and God has the glory of his mercy;so that,while we are endeavouring our salvation,we are honouring God.What an encouragement is this to the service of God,to think,while I am hearing and praying,I am glorifying God;while I am furthering my own glory in heaven,I am increasing God ’s glory.Would it not be an encouragement to a subject,to hear his prince say to him,You will honour and please me very much,if you will go to yonder mine of gold,and dig as much gold for yourself as you can carry away?So,for God to say, Go to the ordinances,get as much grace as you can,dig out as much salvation as you can;and the more happiness you have,the more I shall count myself glorified.
Thomas Watson: A Body of Divinity

I love this little phrase; God has twisted together his glory and our good. My own answer to the 'chief end' would be Colossians For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. (Col 1:16-17 NASB) The 'chief end/purpose' must be that we fulfil the purpose for which we were designed... to be His.

2004/10/12 4:39Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
Would it not be an encouragement to a subject,to hear his prince say to him,You will honour and please me very much,if you will go to yonder mine of gold,and dig as much gold for yourself as you can carry away?

This is [i]really[/i] good Ron...

[i][b]while we are endeavouring our salvation,we are honouring God[/i][/b]

Haven't heard that word in quite awhile:

Ye Old 1828 says;

[b]Endeavor[/b]
ENDEAV'OR, n. endev'or. An effort; an essay; an attempt; an exertion of physical strength, or the intellectual powers, towards the attainment of an object.

The bold and sufficient pursue their game with more passion, endeavor and application, and therefore often succeed.

Imitation is the endeavor of a later poet to write like one who has written before him on the same subject.

Labor is a continued endeavor, or a succession of endeavors.

[b]ENDEAV'OR[/b], v.i. endev'or. To exert physical strength or intellectual power, for the accomplishment of an object; to try; to essay; to attempt. In a race, each man endeavors to outstrip his antagonist. A poet may endeavor to rival Homer, but without success. It is followed by after before a noun; as, the christian endeavors after more strict conformity to the example of Christ.

1. v.t. To attempt to gain; to try to effect.

It is our duty to endeavor the recovery of these beneficial subjects.
------------------------

'Cheif End'....

Joh 17:3 [b]And this is eternal life: to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent-Jesus Christ.[/b]

2004/10/12 6:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy