SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Westminster Shorter Catechism Study

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougkristen

Westminster Shorter Catechism Study

We are going to start a daily discussion on the Westminster Shorter Catechism. Each day we will post each question until we complete all 107 questions. If you would like to view a list of the questions go to this link.

[url=http://www.opc.org/documents/WSC.html]Westminster Shorter Chatechism[/url]

While this discussion is not meant to be a Calvinism vs. Armenian, it is a discussion to help us draw closer to the Father and know how He wants us to live and know Him. Amen?

Grace,
Doug

2004/10/11 14:24Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Westminster Shorter Catechism Study

Hi Doug
I don't mean to forestall the discussion here but SIers might like to know that Thomas Watson's A Body of Divinity is freely available on the web in several different formats.

This is a tour through the Shorter Catechism and is a wonderful book. If folk are unfamiliar with it, be patient, and you will discover how many of your favourite sayings were originally written by Watson.

There is a spirit of devotion to the Lord and His people which constantly breathes through Watson's writings. I have to confess, he is my favourite puritan.

2004/10/11 14:35Profile
dougkristen

Re:

I agree, Thomas Watson's writings are excellent.

Grace,
Doug

2004/10/11 14:41Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
While this discussion is not meant to be a Calvinism vs. Armenian, it is a discussion to help us draw closer to the Father and know how He wants us to live and know Him. Amen?

Yes I think to have discussions surrounding these doctrines of faith that enable us to know Him more and to be more like Him will be profitable. That does not mean we have to accept every word spoken or object at all but the main purpose of these questions should be towards knowing God whom we serve day and night better. And in byproduct from that main purpose that we would be more unified with one another as the body of Christ in love. It seems like a great study and I am looking forward to it!

2004/10/11 14:45Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Each day we will post each question until we complete all 107 questions.

Brother Doug are you going to post the answers and the scriptural refrences? just wondering.

2004/10/11 15:05Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Westminster Shorter Catechism Study

I'm looking forward to this study, I have been planning on taking my family through a catechism after we finish with our current study on the Sermon on the Mount during our morning devotional time together. I have been considering either the Heidelberg Catechism or the Westminster. Would anyone here care to comment on the differences between the two?

Also, thanks to Ron for that link. God is good!

In Christ,

Ron

2004/10/11 18:05Profile
dougkristen

Re:

Quote:
Brother Doug are you going to post the answers and the scriptural refrences? just wondering.

Yes, I plan on doing something like this.

Grace,
Doug

2004/10/12 5:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy