SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : career choices?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
wind_blows

career choices?

Hey

When I started school a few years back things were so different for me. At the time I wanted to be a writer and I have taken classes toward that end. I was even offered a job not to long ago to do movie reviews(I turned it down) As I progress in my classes some of the topic that I am required to write about have really started bothering me and I am wondering if I should just walk away from the whole thing? The closer I walk with Jesus the more I begin to question the different career paths that are out there and if it really is possible to remain strong in my faith and do some of these things?

in Him
ellie

2010/3/3 18:54Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: career choices?

There is a market out there for Christian
fiction and romance; but I am not sure how
you would enter into it.
I have been a writer for fifteen years;
most of what I write is devotional and
inspirational. It has become more than a
hobby; but not an occupation that supports
me yet!!

2010/3/3 19:30Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Hey sojourner

Quote:
There is a market out there for Christian fiction and romance;

At one time that was my intention but lately I just am not sure that is what the Lord has for me. Not sure any more that writing romance even if they are christian is really a good thing. I know many young women who have had lots of troubles when they allow themselves to get to caught up in romance books. Not sure I want to be writing and adding to that? I guess there is always christian fantasy. I had to turn in a fantasy story recently and I got great reviews and my professor loved it. I don't know that my heart is in it anymore.

in Him
Ellie

2010/3/3 19:38Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Ellie, it just might be that your life will take a turn in the not too distant future! and writing will become secondary...? :-)

On the other hand, ever consider writing for children? Actually, I love children's lit. They don't have the tension that adult fiction does, and are more educational - at least the children's lit I have read. Got any interest in it?

You are right about romance damaging young females perception of male/female relationships.

If your interest in writing is waning it just may be God has something else in store for you...

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/3/3 20:43Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Thanks for the suggestion ginnyrose. Writing for children would be awesome.

in Him
Ellie

edited after praying about this more.

2010/3/4 0:28Profile
Compton

Re:

wind_blows,

You have a talent for working in a creative field...and that's a double edge sword isn't it! Christian artists, writers, and musicians create messages and as a result they want to make sure the message they work on is honoring to God's word.

For many people, an occupation is chosen for practical purposes. (generalization) But creative people can't just detach themselves emotionally from their creative work. A writer will be a writer their whole lives. They cannot just walk away from it, even if they must earn money in some unrelated line of work.

So a creative life is both a blessing and a burden.I sympathize with your burden to do something meaningful and honoring to the Lord. God bless you! I take comfort bringing to mind the passage from Psalm 37, "Delight yourself in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass".

MC

2010/3/4 2:08Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy