SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Have we been preaching wrong?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Fouby

Have we been preaching wrong?

Why do we always tell people what to think on Sundays instead of teaching the How to think?
Why don't we teach the people God has entrusted to us how to interpret scripture instead of always just interpreting it for them.

If we treat them like idiots, they will behave thusly....

All I am suggesting is not only preaching a sermon, but prefacing the sermon or ending the sermon with a "how we got there or here" statement.

Maybe your not up for this, maybe you don't think Sunday morning is the place for this.
Then why not Wednesday night, or youth group....
How can we expect people to get anything out of reading the bible if they can't think critically or critically read the text?
If we believe we are a royal priesthood, if we all are called to make disciples, than why isn't church a place where we equip people for ministry? Every week!
Why?

2010/3/2 21:50Profile
knitefall

Re: Have we been preaching wrong?

Great place to be right now. I'm reminded of when Jesus said to Peter that flesh and blood has not revealed this but my Father in Heaven has. Keep listening to the Spirit. And preach against maintaining spiritual toddlers.

Be careful of a bitter heart. I've been there. Services can get dull. Perhaps a change is in order. I'll be praying for you pal.

2010/3/2 22:32Profile
wind_blows

Quote:
If we believe we are a royal priesthood, if we all are called to make disciples, than why isn't church a place where we equip people for ministry? Every week! Why?

Why not daily? The real problem is cause people keep calling or referring to church as a place instead of a people. We are the church, the body of Christ. Maybe the answer is to live as the body of Christ, daily one to another in Him.

Just some of the thoughts on my heart

in Him
Ellie

2010/3/3 0:00Profile
IWantAnguish

Re:

We have dead preachers preaching dead messages to dead people.

Most churches that congregate together around America wouldn't know the difference between a true or false convert if one punched em in the face.

2010/3/3 0:10Profile
mguldner

Kansas

I agree,I think a part of it is preachers lackadaisly exponding the written Word of God. Its an inconsistancy in many churches,"We Believe the Bible is the written word of God inspired" THEN TREAT IT THAT WAY with Fear and trembling! When I preach I do add an application to my message that most if not everyone willing to use will be helpful in their walk, These applications come generally from my mistakes and me using the app to help correct it. Oh the day when we take the Word of God to its reverance that it deserves

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/3/3 1:13Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

wind_blows wrote:

Quote:
Why not daily? The real problem is cause people keep calling or referring to church as a place instead of a people. We are the church, the body of Christ. Maybe the answer is to live as the body of Christ, daily one to another in Him.

How true this is.

2010/3/3 1:15Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
Fouby wrote:
Why don't we teach the people God has entrusted to us how to interpret scripture instead of always just interpreting it for them.

There are as many reasons for this as there are preachers, pastors, and evangelists!!

My first gut reaction to this was if people can think for themselves, then maybe they won't need me or my services and they'll stop paying tithes. (not that anyone pays me, Lysa!)

And there is the obvious, there are some that do not want to think for themselves! If this weren't true, they'd do away with the six o'clock news!! LOL

Only God knows why and He is gracious enough NOT to condemn or blame because of it!

God bless you!

*edit for clarity*

2010/3/3 3:57Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
If we treat them like idiots, they will behave thusly....

Much modern preaching is behavior management. Accordingly, most people are well schooled in what they should be and do, but not why.

Perhaps our bias towards results without reason is just a reflection of our broader modern society. We are taught from kindergarten to conform and fit into the marketplace in order to preserve our economic security.

Church is a kind of marketplace as well, because people are free to come and go like consumers. So, organizationally speaking, our churches are fragile. In such as environment compliance is always going to be more welcome then initiative.

MC

2010/3/3 9:27Profile

Quote:
If we believe we are a royal priesthood, if we all are called to make disciples, than why isn't church a place where we equip people for ministry? Every week! Why?

FEAR!! Plain and simple.

Most Pastors in the world are scared to death to have anyone in their congregation become more than what they are.

Many people after years of neglect, talents wasted, are awakening and leaving their Church organization. Many want to grow, to be real as a functioning, contributing member of the body of Christ.

A Reformation is upon us.

2010/3/3 15:39
jimp

Re:

hi, i feel sick over the condition of the body in your area and i know you do too... that said...we have many great churches in my city...mostly in fellowship...trying to reach and minister to the city and the world...thank you Jesus.jimp

2010/3/3 17:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy