Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Acts 1:8

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Acts 1:8

[b]Acts 1:8[/b] - [color=CC0000]But ye shall recieve power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.[/color]

In these last words of the risen Christ to the Church in person [i](*See letters to the church in revelation 'I know thy works' and 'Repent' are the last words of Jesus in Scripture)[/i]. He tells them they need [b]power[/b] because they are frial, nomial, usual people that can't do remarkable things on their own. They needed God to work [u]through[/u] them and be [u]in[/u] them. And following this truth they would [b]be witnesses[/b] not just do witnessing but [u]be[/u] a witness, their lifes will match their message because they have recieved the power from God to accomplish that.

An interesting point in this scripture also was that they were to start their [u]being[/u] a witness in [b]Jerusalem[/b] which was the place were they just failed the master and forsook him, it would be evidently known by much of the population of the failure of the disciples to stand with their master. But Jesus calls them also next to broaden their eyes and [u]be[/u] a witness to [b]Judea[/b] which was a larger region then the city of Jersalem. Then he calls them to [b]Samaria[/b] which was a different people group, and then after that to [b]the uttermost part of the earth[/b]. But the sad fact is the church stayed in Jersalem comfortably not wanting to leave until tremendous persecution comes to force them out to the Judea and Samaria (see Acts 8:1).

A good question to be asked is what is our Jersalem, Judea, Samaria?

2004/10/10 12:00Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Acts 1:8

I love this verse Greg. This power gives us the ability to be a witness. To be a witness is to be able give an account of what one has directly experienced in their own life.

That's what is missing from much of the church today. When unbelievers look at their friends who are "believers" they see no difference. I pray that the world see Christ in every believer. The risen Christ who can change hearts and minds, who can give victory over sin, who gives a desire for holiness, and who fills the heart with this desire to reach other souls.

As far as Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria here's how I understand it. Jerusalem is right where we're at. The neighbor down the street who is divorced and alcoholic and needs a risen Saviour, the next door neighbor who is unfulfilled with their pursuit of this world, etc.

Judea is simply the next area over and for most of us that would mean our communities. In my own case, that would mean Washington D.C. As I yield to the Holy Spirit, God is giving me a heart for this area.

As far as Samaria and to the uttermost parts of the earth, that's wherever the Holy Spirit leads me. It's wherever He wants it to be. It could be a neighboring state or another country. It really doesn't matter much. It just matters what He wants and my response to His call.

2004/10/12 9:49Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Acts 1:8

Quote:
A good question to be asked is what is our Jersalem...

Jerusalem for the disciples was where they lived. I can tell you that for myself Jerusalem is also about where I live, meaning my family. When I first became a Christian I was filled with zeal for the lost and went out street preaching and joined several ministries at my church. But the Lord brought me to this verse in Acts and reminded me that I was forgetting to focus on what was before me every day, my unsaved wife and children. It was clear that I wasn't beginning in Jerusalem. Relationship priorities need to be God, family, church, in that order. When those things are right, doors of ministry to Judea and Samaria and the ends of the earth, will be opened.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/10/12 10:34Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

The city of the great King

Hello Greg

Quote: A good question to be asked is what is our Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria?

I read your question yesterday and have some thoughts on what the significance of that statement is today.

In the Old Testament Jerusalem was the place were the children of God (the Jews) worshiped God (John 4:20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.)

In the Old Testament Jerusalem is the city of “The great King” (Mathew 5: 5:35Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.) Jesus said this, quoting from the Old Testament Scriptures (Psalms 48:2rising splendidly, is the joy of the whole earth. Mount Zion on the slopes of the north is the city of the great King.) Similarly it is said in Psalm 46:4[There is] a river- its streams delight the city of God, the holy dwelling place of the Most High. That is to say that Jerusalem is the dwelling place of the Messiah, Christ Jesus our Lord and saviour

We now are in the new testament and according to that men can worship anywhere as long as it is in Spirit and in truth (John4: 21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. )

Again, in the New Testament, the “City of the great King” could be said to be his habitation and his temple… We are the habitation and the temples of God (1 Corinthians 3:16-17 16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.) Alternatively, as Paul said in Romans 8:9 9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Therefore, to answer your question Greg, I believe that the Church of Jesus Christ today is comparable to Jerusalem. It is to this Church (the greater part of which is sleeping and receiving a watered-down version of the gospel), that we are asked to direct or first efforts. The church needs to be woken and revived to live the life of Christ and magnify true discipleship and Christianity. We the church are the living breathing church of Christ and we need to approve ourselves before we think of spreading our doctrine. If we the Church attempt to remove the speck out of the world’s eye and we ourselves have a log in our own eyes we are in danger of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

2 Corinthians 6: 4 But in all things approving F14 ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, 5 In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, F15 in labours, in watchings, in fastings; 6 By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned, 7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, 8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true; 9 As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed; 10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

I have some thoughts on “Judea, Samaria and the uttermost parts” but this thread is far too long as it is. What does everyone think about this idea?

In Christ James

2004/10/12 14:29Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Jerusalem, Judaea, Samaria.. the uttermost part..

Oswald Chambers has some interesting comments in My Utmost for His Highest; October 14th.

If you come to this posting later than October 14th you will have to use the 'next-day/previous day' toggle at the foot of the page to get to the right date.

2004/10/14 6:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy