SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : "Judged for Every Careless Word"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

"Judged for Every Careless Word"

“Judged for every careless word”—Jesus

Flee the tumult of men as much as you can (Mat.14:23); for the talk of worldly affairs is a great hinderance, although they be talked of with sincere intention; for we are quickly defiled and enthralled with vanity. Oftentimes I could wish that I had held my peace and that I had not been among men.

But why do we so willingly speak and talk with one another, when not withstanding we seldom return to silence without hurt of conscience ? The reason we so willingly talk is because by discoursing with one another we seek to receive comfort one of another, and desire to ease a heart overwearied with conflicting thoughts; and we very willingly talk and think of those things which we love most or desire; oftentimes in vain, and of no small loss of inward and divine comfort.

Therefore we must “watch and pray,” lest our time pass away idly. If it be lawful and expedient to speak, speak those things that may edify. An evil custom and neglect of our own good often makes us set no watch before our mouth (Ps.141:3). Yet devout discources of spiritual things greatly further our spiritual growth, especially when persons of one mind and spirit are gathered together in God (Acts 1:14; Rom.15:5-6). (Thomas A’Kempis, ~ 1450 A.D.)

I have been thinking about this lately. So often I think about how much time I have wasted on things that do not matter and mean nothing. I really want to learn to speak those things that may edify and not allow time to pass away idly.

God Bless
mj

2010/2/21 15:05Profile
Giggles

Re: "Judged for Every Careless Word"

Great word mj.

2010/2/21 16:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy