SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Ark of the Covenant?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Ark of the Covenant?

[url=http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1715337,00.html]Something interesting found in Africa[/url]

2010/2/21 9:16
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Ark of the Covenant?

Jeremiah 3:16 "It shall be in those days when you are multiplied and increased in the land," declares the LORD, "they will no longer say, 'The ark of the covenant of the LORD.' And it will not come to mind, nor will they remember it, nor will they miss it, nor will it be made again.

According to this word from Jeremiah, it appears the Ark of the Covenant has been destroyed, and was likely done so when the Babylonians finally burned the temple to the ground in 586 BC. Stories of the ark being secretly taken away for safe keeping are not consistent with the mindset of the Jews. The Jews, having believed their false prophets, believed the nation was ultimately bullet proof, and that God would deliver them and keep them safe. They believed this to the bitter end in not only 586 BC, but in 70 AD.

They would have never taken the ark away for safe keeping, because they believed the place where the ark was happened to be the place of safe keeping. God would not allow the temple to be destroyed, so they thought. Indeed, in 70 ad, even when the destruction of the temple was evident, the Jews piled into the temple by the boat load for safety, only to be slaughtered by the bushels.

Biblically speaking, it is most likely that the ark was set on fire with the rest of the temple when the Babylonians destroyed it with fire. The Jews held to a form of "once saved always saved," when it came to the temple. They would no more have thought the destruction of the ark or temple possible any more than a Southern Baptist believes they can lose their salvation.

2010/2/21 10:00Profile

Re:

Quote:
According to this word from Jeremiah, it appears the Ark of the Covenant has been destroyed, and was likely done so when the Babylonians finally burned the temple to the ground in 586 BC. Stories of the ark being secretly taken away for safe keeping are not consistent with the mindset of the Jews.

A logical and consistent interpretation, I agree.

2010/2/21 15:15
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

A logical and consistent interpretation, I agree.

It just amazes me how many people fail to grasp this. I remember discovering this verse in Jeremiah when I was younger in the faith, and thought, "Well, that completely destroys every Discovery channel show on the issue, not to mention Indiana Jones." One of my Bible college professors even brought the topic up once. I was thrilled to find out I wasn't the only person thinking these things. I could be wrong, but even if we found the ark, I don't know how we would prove it to be such unless fire fell from heaven and consumed somebody. I don't think any serious scholar considers it in existence today.

2010/2/21 21:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Jimmy,

Have you ever read, seen any of Bob Cornukes presentations? If so, what is your opinion on it? If anyone else has seen or read them, I would like to hear your take...I heard it and he is a very convincing speaker...have not thought much of him is recent years, but I know he has his critics.

BTW, I could not pull up the link that was shared in the lead post on this thread.

ginnyrose

2010/2/26 21:20Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Ginny, I am not familiar with him off hand.

2010/2/26 22:18Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy