SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What does it mean to "walk in the Spirit"?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

To walk in the Spirit is to bring forth the fruit of the Spirit.

With care in Christ...

2010/2/21 13:52Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote:
"walking in the flesh" is a metaphor for selfishness"

"walking in the spirit" is a metaphor for being loving"

I would see it this way

Walking in the flesh is loving yourself.

Walking in the Spirit is loving God.

2010/2/21 14:02Profile

Re:

Quote:
by murrcolr on 2010/2/21 11:02:59
I would see it this way
Walking in the flesh is loving yourself.
Walking in the Spirit is loving God.

murrcolr, do you think we should only love God? Or do you think we should love God, neighbor, and self (in the right order)?

2010/2/21 16:11
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

I appreciate all of the good points that have been made on this topic of walking in the Spirit.

In order to walk in the Spirit, the self life must be dealt with. The cross is at the center of the Spirit led life, and it is by the Spirit that we put to death the deeds of the flesh.

Walking in the Spirit or being led by the Spirit is to follow Jesus, and following Jesus involves denying self and taking up the cross.

Many Christians walk not after the Spirit but are living out of their soul life. It will take a total surrender to the Lord of every area of our lives for us to walk in the Spirit. The Holy Spirit wants to be in control, but unlike man, He will not force us to do anything. The devil is not the greatest hindrance to us walking in the Spirit. If we are wanting to save ourselves then we will loose out spiritualy. If we loose our self life, then we will gain the life of the Lord. Walking in the Spirit is being crucified with Christ, where it is no longer I that lives, but Christ lives in me.

Mike

2010/2/21 16:35Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Friends,

The most recent episode of the "White Horse Inn" radio show discusses this very topic. They contrast the Biblical concept of "walking in the Spirit" with the idea set forth by the Keswick concept of "walking in the Spirit"...

www.whitehorseinn.org

With care in Christ...

2010/2/21 18:17Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: What does it mean to "walk in the Spirit"?

Here's something from Harry Foster that might be helpful in considering this topic...

To walk in the straight path of the gospel we must learn to walk in the Spirit, to be led by Him. What is the truth about the Holy Spirit? Perhaps we should turn to the gospel story and focus our attention on the experiences of Jesus. He began His public life of walking in the will of God at Jordan. And it was then that in a visible way the Holy Spirit came upon Him. Luke tells us that this happened while He was praying. What was He praying for? Surely it was to be guided in the will of the Father, as seems evident by the fact that we are at once told how He was led of the Spirit into the wilderness. He had been born of the Spirit; for thirty years He had lived by the Spirit; and now in a more definite way He was to be led by the Spirit, to walk in the Spirit. His prayer was answered.

SO it was that the Lord continued in the straight path of the will of the Father right to the final climax of spiritual maturity. This is God's goal for us all. The Corinthians and the Galatians needed to know -- as we do too -- that spirituality is more than witnessing striking operations of the Spirit or exercising His passing gifts; it means lasting conformity to the will of God in terms of character. This is the path, the straight path of the gospel. But how can we keep to it? It is a well-known fact that a human being cannot walk straight, but will go round in circles if left without landmarks to counter this natural tendency to veer away from the straight line. Well, we have landmarks to help us, for we have the perfect example of a Spirit-filled life in the Gospel description of our Saviour. But more -- much more -- than this, we have the same Spirit who led Him, who is able and willing to lead us. With the Word in our hands and the Holy Spirit in our hearts, we too may become spiritual people and make good progress in the straight path of the gospel.

-excerpted from [i]Toward the Mark - Vol. 3, No. 1, Jan. - Feb. 1974[/i]

2010/2/21 18:42Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote:
murrcolr, do you think we should only love God? Or do you think we should love God, neighbor, and self (in the right order)?

You said walking in the Spirit is loving.

A un-converted husband can love there wife, un-converted mother can love there child, un-converted people who live next door can and do love each other...

The converted but still carnal do love others, so the difference between being led by your carnal nature and being led by the Holy Spirit must be of a higher path it must be more than loving.

That path we are to follow must be a complete giving up the love of your self and loving God completely with your whole heart. Some of the ways that love for God would manifest is by keeping his commandments, doing what is pleasing to him, loving others etc...etc.

Hope that explains....

2010/2/22 6:50Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re: What does it mean to "walk in the Spirit"?

What a wonderful question and I am sure there are many facets to this beautiful diamond, many of which are being expressed in these posts.

Here is how I walk in the spirit. The same way I received the Spirit, "by the hearing of faith." I received the Spirit when I believed "the thing heard", the rhema and logos of Jesus Christ. I now walk in the Spirit in the very same way. The Spirit is sent to guide me into all truth. He speaks, and will never speak on His own, but only what He hears is what He speaks. Walking in the Spirit is simply hearing,receiving and acting upon what the Spirit is speaking - this is the obedience (hearing under) of faith. This is my simple walk in the Spirit, out of faith unto faith. I hear His voice "in the way" and I receive the implanted word and it has been saving my soul. Receiving His word, is receiving His truth, and receiving the love of the truth is setting me free from the vanity of my own mind.

Everytime I am tempted, the Holy Spirit speaks to me, and simply by receiving His word by faith, I overcome the temptation and walk in the way of escape. The way of escape is simply the way the Holy Spirit directs me through His voice. This is how by simply walking in the Holy Spirit we do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. We are conscious of them, but we choose by faith to receive what the Holy Spirit says and we overcome by faith in the thing heard.

All the words of Jesus are Spirit and life, the Holy Spirit brings all the words of Jesus back to me moment by moment so that I can literally walk by faith, from faith to faith. This is producing the righteousness of God, the rightouesness of God that is by faith. It is simply hearing the voice of God through the word spoken by the Holy Spirit residing in me and guiding my feet into paths of peace. It is wonderfully simple.

makrothumia

2010/2/22 10:19Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Just wanted to highlight some of the points.

Quote:
SO it was that the Lord continued in the straight path of the will of the Father right to the final climax of spiritual maturity.

To be a Son of God.

Quote:
The Corinthians and the Galatians needed to know -- as we do too -- that spirituality is more than witnessing striking operations of the Spirit or exercising His passing gifts; it means lasting conformity to the will of God in terms of character.

In terms of character

Quote:
But how can we keep to it? It is a well-known fact that a human being cannot walk straight, but will go round in circles if left without landmarks to counter this natural tendency to veer away from the straight line.

Natural tendency to veer away from the straight line.

So how do we go from being a Child of God to a Son of God in the terms of character becasue we have a natural tendancy in us to veer away from the things of spirit.

Matthew 3:16-17 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

The Spirit of God, the Sanctifier of mens souls who takes away, who destroys the natural veer in us is the one we need to encounter. This work of sanctification which gives us a Godly charcater and will allow us to follow the straight path of the gospel where are the Sons of God...........

2010/2/22 10:38Profile
Theophila

Re:

i was hoping this thread would go on and on, perhaps with those more seasoned in the faith, sharing their experiences of their daily walk with our Teacher. I know some experiences are too sacred to share, but what little you're allowed to share, would be gratefully received.

SHALOM

2010/3/4 21:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy