SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Wife of televangelist Benny Hinn files for divorce

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Wife of televangelist Benny Hinn files for divorce

By GILLIAN FLACCUS
Associated Press Writer
18 Feb 2010

ORANGE, Calif. – The wife of televangelist Benny Hinn has filed for divorce in Southern California.

Suzanne Hinn filed the papers in Orange County Superior Court on Feb. 1, citing irreconcilable differences, after more than 30 years of marriage. The papers note the two separated on Jan. 26 and that Hinn has been living in Dana Point, a wealthy coastal community in southern Orange County.

Hinn is one of the best known advocates of the prosperity gospel, which teaches that Christians who are right with God will be rewarded with wealth and health in this lifetime.

His TV broadcasts on the Trinity Broadcast Network, a Pentecostal broadcasting juggernaut, and other TV networks are seen by millions of people around the world nearly every day. He travels the globe in his ministry's plane, named Dove One, holding events he calls "Miracle Crusades" that include spiritual healings.

Hinn has never fully publicly disclosed how he spends the money he raises, but his vast ministry is believed to be a multimillion-dollar operation. There was no mention of finances in the court filing, which listed three recent Southern California addresses for the family.

Over the years, Hinn has been the target of intense criticism from fellow Christians and watchdog groups who call his teachings false and accuse him of raising money only to enrich himself.

He is one of six televangelists under investigation by Sen. Charles Grassley, the Iowa Republican on the Senate Banking Committee, over whether he complied with IRS rules for nonprofits. Hinn has said on his Web site that external auditors ensure his compliance with IRS regulations and that in 2008, 88 percent of the money he collected was spent on ministry.

Benny Hinn Ministries is based in Grapevine, Texas, and operates a church and television studio in Aliso Viejo in California's Orange County, according to its Web site.
Sorrell Trope, the attorney listed on Suzanne Hinn's court filing, did not immediately return a call for comment.

J. Lee Grady, contributing editor of Charisma, a news magazine on the Pentecostal community, said Hinn's divorce is the latest in a string of high-profile ministry divorces and moral failures among the Pentecostal leaders, beginning with Ted Haggard's fall from grace in 2006.

He said Hinn's followers will want an explanation because of the high profile the couple had.

"It will be devastating to the people who have supported Benny Hinn's evangelistic work around the world," Grady said.

"Obviously because their ministry has been very public (and) they will need to issue a statement to their supporters to explain how this happened," he said.

Click [url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100218/ap_on_re_us/us_televangelist_divorce]here[/url] to read the full article.

2010/2/18 19:44Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Wife of televangelist Benny Hinn files for divorce

So Art Katz's prophecy from a few years ago in his sermon on Jeremiah 23 comes true yet again...

2010/2/18 20:12Profile

Re: Wife of televangelist Benny Hinn files for divorce

It's too bad though, whether he is false prophet or not, divorce is ugly no matter who's involved.

However it just goes to show that you can't uphold a false teaching and expect everything to run smoothly, something is going to break down because God didn't sanction it.

2010/2/18 20:25
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
It's too bad though, whether he is false prophet or not, divorce is ugly no matter who's involved.

May we pray for all involved including the children. May God's grace and repentance be felt by all.

would we accept benny hinn fully if he was repentant? Do we have the mercy and longsuffering of God in our hearts?

2010/2/18 20:29Profile

Re:

Quote:
would we accept Benny Hinn fully if he was repentant? Do we have the mercy and long suffering of God in our hearts?

YES!!

As a called out one and the Spirit of Grace and Truth that resides in me, it would be easy to receive Benny Hinn.

2010/2/18 20:45
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I'd receive him just as Barnabas received Paul after Paul's murdering spree. But I would want to know he truly had a revelation of the Lord.

2010/2/18 20:51Profile
MaryJane

Re:

I pray that both he and his wife would repent and see their need for Jesus. Having any marriage come to an end is a truly sad thing for all involved.

God Bless
maryjane

2010/2/18 21:03Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Quote:
I'd receive him just as Barnabas received Paul after Paul's murdering spree. . . .

What are you talking about? Please, explain that comment.

white stone

2010/2/18 22:02Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

After Paul's murdering spree, then conversion, Barnabas was the one to introduce Paul into the life of the church, and helped him gain acceptance as truly being one of us. Thus, if Benny Hinn truly repents of his ways, and comes to the Lord, then I'll gladly receive him into fellowship again. Does that help?

2010/2/18 22:54Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re:

Quote:
KingJimmy wrote:
So Art Katz's prophecy from a few years ago in his sermon on Jeremiah 23 comes true yet again...

Can you give me the link or the name to that sermon? I would love to hear it! Thanks.

God bless you,

2010/2/19 6:49Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy