SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How great is our God?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Logic

How great is our God?

Things need qualities in order to be merited.

I will use an analogy of a sandwich.
I have a right to eat my sandwich because it is mine, but the right to eat it is not the reason why I choose to eat it.
My sandwich has a quality of being yummy is why I choose to eat it.
My sandwich is worthy of being chosen to eat is because it has qualities that are good; or the worthiness is the reason of my choosing to eat it.

The reason I worship God is not for the reason that He is God, but for the reason that He chooses to do good.
Just being God is not a worthiness to be praised, but God choosing to do good makes Him worthy.

Thank you for being a human.
Or
Thank God for being God.
Giving thanks for these reasons do not make sense because there is nothing of merit worthy of the thanks in just being human, therefore, just being God has no merit of thanks also.
Being human has no merit, being God has no merit.

Therefore, one can only be thanked for having the ability to do that which he has a choice in the matter; having an option to do the contrary of the reason for being thanked.
[b]Example:[/b]
Since I have no choice, no option but to be human, there is no reason to thank me.
However, you would thank me for giving you $10.oo when I don’t have to.
The fact that God has no choice of being God, there is no reason to thank Him for it.
However, we thank Him for what He does. God chooses to do Good is the reason that we thank Him.

Therefore, praise worthiness must have an option to do the contrary of that which is praiseworthy.

It is the ability of God to do good or bad which makes Him [b]worthy[/b] of praise, and that He chooses to do good is the [b]reason[/b] that we choose to praise Him.
God cannot be worthy of praise if He cannot do contrary of the things worthy of praise.

When the Scriptures teach that it is "impossible for God to lie" (Hebrews 6:18), this does not mean He is incapable of telling an untruth, but that He cannot lie and remain righteous & good. The "cannot" is moral, not physical.

2010/2/18 18:20Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: How great is our God?

GOD is great beyond our imagining, and GOD is
worthy of blessing, glory, honor, and praise
because HE is GOD alone!! HE is Sovereign
Majesty, the only true GOD and there is no
other beside HIM !! BEING GOD has absolute
merit for our worship!!

2010/2/18 18:25Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: How great is our God?

Joh 6:66-69
(66) From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
(67) Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
(68) Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
(69) And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

People left in response to a very hard to understand saying that they interpreted as nonsense about cannibalism. Jesus looks at those that are left and said, "Well, what about you?" Peter did not say, "Because of your goodness I choose to follow." Basically he said, "Who else is there to follow?" I think I would serve Him and worship Him simply because He is God, but HE IS GOOD!!! so I wonder if the discussion is purely academic.

2010/2/19 22:15Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy