SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How do you not be lukewarm?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

How do you not be lukewarm?

I know I'm starting a lot of threads here and I genuinely appreciate all your posts especially the ones I don't understand or don't necessarily agree with.

I really desire to know God and to have a relationship with Him. Honestly I can say that that is the most important thing to me at the moment.

I am a all or nothing type of guy and I know in life balance is key sometimes. I feel that as I'm trying to really know God and to have a relationship with Him. I might be overdoing it and neglecting other areas of my life.

I talked about in another post, how extreme one can get in pursuing God.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=32574&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go]Is the bible to be taken literally[/url]

but I wanted to know how you can know that you aren't being too lukewarm?

I'm a man of extremes and am trying to find the middle where God wants me to be.

2010/2/15 18:34
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: How do you not be lukewarm?

Actually; GOD is looking for an all-or-nothing
kind of man, someone who will be fully committed
to His purpose and will. Jesus wants whole-
hearted disciples and followers. GOD must be
your heart's desire and your life's passion.
There is no "middle ground."

2010/2/15 18:45Profile

Re: How do you not be lukewarm?

I think all we need to do is love God as best as we know how and love our neighbor as ourselves.

This will prevent us from being lukewarm or any other sin.

I am so grateful that God does not give us a huge list of impossible commands but just genuine love from a pure heart.

Is there anything in particular in your life that you think counts as lukewarmness?

2010/2/15 18:46

Re:

Please let me preface this by saying that I'm not trying to be sarcastic but am simply fed up with being preached this gospel that is unclear to me my whole life. That's why I walked away seeing the hypocrisy and unbelief of everyone in my life. I have two pastors in my family, an elder, and am from a supposed christian family. I believe that most of christianity is preached vaguely and I'm sick of the guessing game. I desire to know the truth so badly because an eternity in hell/heaven depends on it.

@sojourner7

my extreme was that I was gonna quit my job, sell everything I have and help the poor and homeless, right now, neglect my family and friends and literally die for Christ, maybe I'll last for 6 months or so before I might starve to death.

I think that is a bit too extreme so that's what I mean by the middle ground. Sorry if my wording was a bit confusing.

2010/2/15 19:09
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Please let me preface this by saying that I'm not trying to be sarcastic but am simply fed up with being preached this gospel that is unclear to me my whole life. That's why I walked away seeing the hypocrisy and unbelief of everyone in my life. I have two pastors in my family, an elder, and am from a supposed christian family. I believe that most of christianity is preached vaguely and I'm sick of the guessing game. I desire to know the truth so badly because an eternity in hell/heaven depends on it. @sojourner7 my extreme was that I was gonna quit my job, sell everything I have and help the poor and homeless, right now, neglect my family and friends and literally die for Christ, maybe I'll last for 6 months or so before I might starve to death. I think that is a bit too extreme so that's what I mean by the middle ground. Sorry if my wording was a bit confusing.

codek: It is a little difficult to know exactly where you are coming from as I do not know you or your situation personally. It sounds a little bit to me like you are tired of religious exercise in the name of Christianity and want to know true relationship with Jesus Christ. It sounds a little bit like you are tired of the institutions of man that claim to be the institutions of God. In saying that it sounds a bit like maybe you have had your focus on man rather than on God, and man has disappointed you, which was inevitable. Sounds like you are looking for something of significance, something that has real impact, rather than the rose colored stained glass windows. There seems to be a real struggle in you as to whether there really is something real in all of this. It seems to me like you know deep down that there is, but you are tired of not seeing it and despair of ever seeing it.

God desires for you to know the truth. He does not hide Himself from you nor is He purposely vague. Men may by, God is not. He will show you truth. Get into the word. Study it. Don't expect all truth to be downloaded in one setting. It is a lifetime pursuit. But in that pursuit, don't forget that He longs for relationship WITH you, not just some kind of an academic understanding on your part. He will guide you by His Holy Spirit as you seek Him and study His word. Don't get your eyes on others. Others can be a great resource. Others can support, help, encourage, etc. God wants to connect you with other believers who can help you to grow, pray for you, etc. Just don't follow them. Follow Christ with them. Understand they are people. They will let you down but God never will.

You are right. Don't jump to such an extreme. I understand that you probably would not do what you suggested, but assume you did. It might do a some people some good, but it would probably be totally outside of God's will for your life and would cause you to miss what He has for you to do that will really make an impact.

Keep asking questions. Make a decision today that you are committed to your relationship with God through Christ. Rely on His grace, not on your own efforts. Don't fall into that ratrace that says, "God loves you and accepts you based on how much you do for Him." It is not scriptural. He accepts you because you put faith in His grace in Jesus atoning for your sins.

Hope I said something in all of that that encouraged you.

Travis

2010/2/15 20:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy