SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Excellent Knowledge of Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Trevino

Las Cruces, New Mexico

The Excellent Knowledge of Christ

I hope this encourages you all to press on to know the Lord in a greater way. I've been reading David Clarkson's discourse on "THE EXCELLENT KNOWLEDGE OF CHRIST" and I came across this passage that caused my heart to burn with joy at the thought of such a wonderful, all-sufficient Savior we have in Jesus:

"Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, " -Philippians 3:8

Clarkson writes: "It was the discovery of Christ that wrought his [Paul's] heart to this temper. It was his view of a sinner’s transcendent advantage by Christ, that made him account all these loss. It was the wonderful excellency of the knowledge of Christ, that made all these things seem as dung. When we are in the dark, we are glad of candle-light, and glow-worms will make a fair show in our eyes; but when the sun is risen and shines in his full strength, then candle-light seems needless or offensive, and the worms that glittered in the dark, make no better show than other vermin. So when men are in the state of nature and darkness, then their church privileges and carnal prerogatives, then their outward performances and self-righteousness, make a fine show in their eyes. They are apt to glory in them, and rely on them, as that by which they may gain favour of God and eternal life. Ay, but when Christ appears, when the Sun of righteousness arises in the heart and discovers his excellency, his all-sufficiency, then a man’s own sparks vanish; then all his formerly beloved and rich esteemed ornaments are cast off; then all he has, and all he has done, privileges and outward services, are loss and dung. None but Christ, none but Christ, for pardon, acceptance, and life. This is the excellent effect of this excellent knowledge."

2010/1/30 17:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy