SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why is Samson in Hebrews hall of faith?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ceedub

Canada

Re:

Nice answer. Definitely part of it.

2010/1/26 12:15Profile

Re: Samson and God's choice

There are not many stories in the Bible of Sovereignty more powerful than the life of Samson. On one hand, he seems bereft of any spiritual constitution; a purely natural, carnal, supernatural Hercules type. Yet, it is abundantly clear that He was chosen and commissioned by the Lord Himself.
Judges:14

1. Then Samson went down to Timnah and saw a woman in Timnah, one of the daughters of the Philistines.
2. So he came back and told his father and mother, "I saw a woman in Timnah, one of the daughters of the Philistines; now therefore, get her for me as a wife."

3. Then his father and his mother said to him, "Is there no woman among the daughters of your relatives, or among all our people, that you go to take a wife from the uncircumcised Philistines?" But Samson said to his father, "Get her for me, for she looks good to me."

4. However, his father and mother did not know that it was of the LORD, for He was seeking an occasion against the Philistines. Now at that time the Philistines were ruling over Israel.
"IT WAS OF THE LORD."

How could the Lord cause a man to rebel against his mother and father, and fall into lust with a pagan woman, multiple times?..[Delilah later..]....foreordained and sovereign?

It is excessively odd, and even weird, but yet, there it is, right in front of us. God is God, and His ways are not ours. Samson delivered Israel out of an impossible situation. He chose to have a "inside" man to do it. Totally and absolutely Sovereign. We'll meet him some day, and talk about it, if we are also counted faithful.

2010/1/26 12:22
ceedub

Canada

Re:

I'd like to put forward the opposite direction of this thread.

I believe Samson is one of the greatest 'types' of Christ in the entire Old Testament. His faith was amazing and he typified the Lord's first and second comings as no one else did.

2010/1/26 12:23Profile
Santana

Re:

I agree he should be in the Hall of faith but he kept going back to sin...flirting with sin and God allowed his enemies to capture him and gouge out his eyes.

I'm just wondering if there was another life God intended for Samson?? Did he die when he was supposed to? Who knows how many more Philistines he could have killed if he didn't fall into sin and paid the consequences with death.

On another note...Ceedub,

How was he a type of Christ?

2010/1/26 13:43Profile
ceedub

Canada

Re:

Samson as a type....

Brief notes from a message I gave about 3 years ago (if any would like, I could post it)...

His birth proclamation delivered from heaven to his mom

Nazarite for life (first one mentioned in bible)
- hair:submission vine:purity death:eternal

Never once promised great strength, only given commission to 'begin' Israel's deliverance (David finished it)

Deliverer of Israel

Only man in bible other than Christ that is never once aided in his work by a single person

Never once shown to use a conventional weapon of war

Took a gentile bride, much to the chagrin of his people
-many see this as sin, though the Philistines were not one of the 7 nations Israel was forbidden to marry. And it was of the Lord.

At the feast he gives a riddle to the guests (parable). His bride tells them the answer to the parable (church). The prize is new garments (salvation)

Left bride in care of companion (Spirit) until he came back from his father's house at the time of the harvest.

Killed a lion with bare hands (as did David, the other deliverer) representing Satan. Sweetness came out of the Lion's defeat. Could represent his own death that brought sweetness of the gospel.

Never told any of this great conquest, not even his dad who was close by. Great humility.

Came unto his own (Cave of Etam). His own received him not (bound him and took him to their enemies). He made them promise they would not kill him themselves (Jews didn't do the killing, but gave Christ to Romans). Also a great type of 2 comings: first with humilty and sacrifice, second with power and vengeance.

Took gates of Gaza to top of hill, on his shoulders, outside the city. (Jesus did same, said I am the Gate)

Died with outstretched arms to deliver his people.

Fulfilled Nazarite vow by having his head shaved and offering up a sacrifice (himself). See OT law for concluding the Nazarite vow.

Was beaten and mocked with no eyes ('prophecy who hit you..')

There are more. I can include the whole message if any are interested.

When you consider what God asked Samson to do, never promising him great strength, and how all his people never aided him once and mostly opposed him as he endeavored their deliverance, not only is his faith staggering, but his typifying of Christ is amazing.

2010/1/26 13:59Profile
Giggles

Re:

Interesting insights into Samson as a Christ-type ceedub. I'd like to see the rest of the notes!!

Also, good post brothertom.

2010/1/26 14:03Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I'm just wondering if there was another life God intended for Samson?? Did he die when he was supposed to? Who knows how many more Philistines he could have killed if he didn't fall into sin and paid the consequences with death.

I think this question pertains to all of our lives. Typically the question is, "Did Samson reach the potential God set forth in his life?" I think the answer is clearly no- if we consider the direction of his life independent of the influence of Delilah.

[i]And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life.[/i] (Judges 16:30)

I find it interesting how God is able to restore to a person the years that the 'cankerworm has eaten'.

2010/1/26 14:23Profile
Santana

Re:

These are all great posts and I'm very encouraged. I'm sure if I haven't had sinned so much (after salvation) I would have been somewhere else...or still getting there. But thanks all.

Ceedub...please post the whole thing. you wet my appetite. I want to read the whole thing.

2010/1/26 14:43Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I agree he should be in the Hall of faith but he kept going back to sin...flirting with sin and God allowed his enemies to capture him and gouge out his eyes.

The thing Samson did not do was serve other gods. This is true of David also. they had problems, but they were loyal to God as their God. I am not saying it's OK to have failures in these areas. I think the New Covenant brings better possibilities. But we also need to know that our salvation is based on the finished work of Christ. If we question Samson's salvation- then we risk questioning our own salvation if we should happen upon failure ourselves. I am not saying that God tolerates sin. In Samson's life the sin had a great consequence. But I believe Samson still loved God and God loved Samson. How do I know things were right between God and Samson? The testimony of Hebrews 11:13b:

These [u]all[/u] died in faith... (Hebrews 11:13b)

Samson, whatever his faults, died in faith. He died with the full measure of his trust in God- calling upon his name- believing that He (God) was able. He did not die in rebellion. He died turned to God and calling on His name. This has to be our posture. Samson had no confidence in himself at the last; but came to realize, perhaps, more than ever- that it was God all along that enabled Him to be anything at all. I think this posture of the heart is critical and very challenging in times when we think we stand. I am not saying it's OK to sin- yet what Samson suffered is an example of how we may want to respond when we fail. Turn your heart to God and call upon Him to fulfill His purposes in your life in spite of your failure.

2010/1/26 14:50Profile

Re:

This is a comforting - could be tear-jerking also, depending on how much of a failure one feels when one listens to it - sermon by Carter Conlon:

[url=http://media.tscnyc.org/mp3/20081109S1.mp3]Touching the Tears of Failure[/url]

[i]With mercy and with judgment My web of time He wove,
And aye the dews of sorrow Were lustred with His love.
I'll bless the hand that guided, I'll bless the heart that plann'd,
When throned where glory dwelleth In Immanuel's land.

Annie Cousins[/i]

2010/1/26 16:12

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy