Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 30 States Ready to Outlaw Abortion

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

WASHINGTON — Thirty states are poised to make abortion illegal within a year if the Supreme Court reversed its 1973 ruling establishing a woman's legal right to an abortion, an advocacy group said Tuesday.

The pro-abortion Center for Reproductive Rights said some states have old laws on the books that would be triggered by the overturning of the landmark Roe v. Wade decision. Others have language in their state constitutions or strongly anti-abortion legislatures that would act quickly if the federal protection for abortion was ended and the issue reverted to the states.

"The building blocks are already in place to recriminalize abortion," said Nancy Northup, the center's president.

The group's report comes less than a month before the presidential election, which those on both sides of the abortion issue say will be critical in determining the future of the Roe decision.

Currently, it is believed that five of the nine justices support abortion rights, but that balance could be tipped if President Bush, in a second term, nominates a new justice who reflects his anti-abortion views. Democratic contender John Kerry is a strong supporter of abortion rights.

2004/10/7 10:28Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re: 30 States Ready to Outlaw Abortion

Outlawing abortion will begin the final process of the dissolution of the USA.
I am not making a statement regarding sin or justice. I merely state that for better or worse, appointing a justice to reverse Roe makes the Judicial check and balance a fallacy. 30 states do not make a majority of the American people.
Outlawing abortion will throw the baby out with the bathwater. It will be akin to southern victory in the Civil War (which would suit many anti-abortionists just fine).
The GOP already makes appointing level headed judges impossible. Must we let them stock the Supreme court with idiot cronies? W wants to put the guy in who wrote the torture memos for Iraq!
The USA does not have forced abortion. Change the hearts of women, not the constitution (and this includes gay marraige)!

2004/10/7 11:03Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

I believe the premises we're dealing with (and with which I agree) are:

1. Abortion is murder.
2. Murder should be outlawed.

Therefore:

Abortion should be outlawed.

I could bring up relevant Scripture to support the premises, if desired, but I'm thinking it's pretty obvious.

As for the gay marriage thing, I agree that we shouldn't rely on the constitution to define marriage, but I believe that because I believe that God, and only God, can define marriage.

2004/10/7 11:33Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Outlawing abortion will begin the final process of the dissolution of the USA.

Righteousness exalteth a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people (Proverbs 14:34).

Quote:
It will be akin to southern victory in the Civil War (which would suit many anti-abortionists just fine).

I had a black man tell me a few years ago that the same conscience that rose up in man to stop slavery will be the same conscience that rises up to stop abortion.

Quote:
The GOP already makes appointing level headed judges impossible. Must we let them stock the Supreme court with idiot cronies

This statement is the typical paradigm of US secular liberal arts education. Sending your child there is like sending them into the Lion's Den.

Quote:
Change the hearts of women, not the constitution (and this includes gay marraige)!

The constitution of the United States was framed by men who would roll over in their graves if they knew how it has been butchered to accomidate the wickedness of this nation in the last 70 years. The boundaries of the law are there first of all to protect the people and of all who need protection (who are more in need than the innocent?). Your view of changing the hearts of men is flawed in that to be consistent we would just shred the constitution and all other laws. This would allow for what you seem to be promoting... that everyone might do what is right in their own eyes. This is lawlessness (iniquity) and antinomianism.

2004/10/7 11:51Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re:

I'd like those scriptures.
Thanks.

2004/10/7 12:12Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re:

The constitution of the United States was framed by evil men also.
I remain against abortion, but do not see Eric Rudolph as a modern John Brown.
If the USA splitting in two is the way to outlaw abortion, then I guess it is time to pray over which side to join.
Still unanswered; why do most Christians not put this issue at the top of their agenda? Are the Iraqis an easier target?
Could it be the arguments made by anti-abortionists such as 'the typical paradigm of US secular liberal arts education' is only insulting to other beleivers?
Does the movement really beleive it has the moral compass and perogative of the entire USA, including all other beleivers?
The 'same conscience that rose up in man to stop slavery will be the same conscience that rises up to stop abortion' argument is lost in the wasted opportunities and continued oppression of US blacks. That conscience in the 1800's was resisted by the forefathers of many of those in the Pro-life movement now. That is fine, because God's chosen people accomplished His will in spite of their stiff necks and hardheartedness, and He can do anything thru anybody. But per another thread, he ain't gonna do it thru the GOP. And not the USA, if it desolves over a single issue.

2004/10/7 13:06Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

. . . And how do we pray??

Lars W.

2004/10/7 13:19Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:

mloaks wrote:
I'd like those scriptures.
Thanks.

Lars has a point about some of our recent exchanges: this is a prayer/intercession area, not a debate forum. I, at least, have difficulty seeing the two as meshing terribly well, at least with the kinds of debates going on.

So I started a thread elsewhere to go through those Scriptures:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3243&forum=35]The Bible on abortion[/url]

As for what to pray about:
- pray that God would convict women to stop wanting to murder their babies
- pray that God would convict men to stop shirking their duties as husbands and fathers
- pray that God would have the legislature and other political entities obey Him, in regards to this issue and all the rest.
- pray that God would have the body of Christ not rely upon politics to solve this horrendous problem (though politics is a tool God may work through, it is He we are to rely upon, not politics)
- pray that God would have the body of Christ repent for its part of the problem (ignorance, negligence, apathy, etc).

2004/10/7 13:28Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re:

Thanks, agreed. Great prayer...
I'm out...

2004/10/7 13:37Profile

"The Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice"

If you want to a website that makes the LORD(and me) weep with sadness (and rage?) go to

http://www.rcrc.org/

Dear God, please wake up these "religionists" to the horrible crime and deception they are foisting on the people.

a note to Lars;(respectfully)
the heading on this forum says 'intercession and currents events'. Isn't it okay to discuss the events as well as pray on them? Not all who read this folder will agree with each other. That is freedom, and freedom can get messy. In America, there have been those who died to preserve the right of freedom of speech. As well as in the Body of Christ, we have freedom in Christ, do we not?

I do believe that this forum is the 21st century equivalant to church/community. The dialogue, in my opinion, must be allowed to be free-wheeling, confined only by the dictates of loving Godly behavior, manners and decency. Yes, this is a prayer folder, but should not we be allowed to discuss, as well as pray?

In His love, Neil

2004/10/8 16:39

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy