Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Only True Hope

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

The Only True Hope

“…hope that is seen is not hope.” -Romans 8:24b

Every day it is there, lurking behind every turn of a corner, hiding under every syllable I hear spoken, whispering with every breath of a shifting wind. Behind the promise of every rainbow, and at the flailing capitulation of every weary, summer spent leaf. Every time an exultant and radiant sun erupts against the atmospheric, crenellating wave of a blackened storm front. Every conversation, every glance to the distant side, every time my daughter raises her arms in expectation of my lifting her into my embrace, when I feel, yet again, awkward in a social setting, and with my insatiable desire to direct even the most mundane of every single conversation I have in life toward something deeper and more meaningful. Whenever I see the sunlight reflect off of my wife’s beautiful hair, and every time she looks at me with her deep love, even when she asks me what I am thinking, and love compels me to put my morass of complicated thoughts into a tangible linear string of verbal sense. If I read a news article, or hear some lament, it is always there…

It is an insatiable, ravenous, all consuming, and unrelenting hope, and the things which I do see are constantly reminding me of its presence echoing beyond every instance. All these things and many more are reminding me, by the very nature of how they make me see past them, to something I cannot explain with words, something that I desire with such a hunger that there is no simile with which to describe it. For if I was to put it into words by analogy or metaphor that would be to limit it. To attempt to quantify the depth of, weight of, width of, or consistency of this desire would also limit it, or place bookends on it, if you will.

It is this hope, in that which none of the things I can visually comprehend are capable of satiating, that can only be matched by what will eventually satisfy that hope. Just as the hope within me cannot be measured, quantified, or rationalized, neither can that which I am hoping in. For whom I am hoping in is the immeasurable, infinite, immense, and eternal. He that is so far beyond even the vastness of our known universe, which is nearly irrational to our minds in its own scope, yet His hand spans it with ease.

And yet, beyond all imagining, that inexhaustible, maddening-to-comprehend vastness condensed Himself into an infinitesimal and displayed to all history, humanity, and creation just how vast he really was on a simple, unimportant, dusty, sun-baked hill, in an annoying, back-water nuisance of a Province with nails in His hands and his blood splashed all over the place.

It is Him that I hope for; it is His eternal presence, and the radiance of who He is…

2010/1/20 3:19Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: The Only True Hope

This, for me, has to be one of the most incredible posts I have every read concerning an awesome God.

He is beyond the universe that He created. We cannot imagine, with the finite minds we have, just how great God truly is.

Thank you so much for this.

God bless.

2010/1/20 7:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy