Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Newsweek: Why God Hates Haiti

[b]Newsweek: Why God Hates Haiti[/b]

Haiti is surely a Job among nations. It is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere: half its population lives on less than a dollar a day. With 98 percent of its forests felled and burned for firewood, Haiti is uniquely vulnerable to flooding from hurricanes. In 2008 four storms in as many weeks left a million homeless. Haiti has an infant-mortality rate worse than that of many African nations, and its people are plagued by disease: diarrhea, hepatitis, typhoid fever, dengue fever, malaria, and leptospirosis are rampant there. This litany doesn't even touch on Haiti's disastrous political history, most notably the reign of François (Papa Doc) Duvalier, who assassinated and tortured more than 30,000 in the 1960s.

Now, with as many as 100,000 dead in last week's earthquake, a sensible person of faith has to grapple with the problem of what scholars call theodicy. If God is good and intervenes ...

2010/1/16 5:53Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Newsweek: Why God Hates Haiti

Newsweek published this?

I suppose this version is a bit easier to ruminate over and consider than Pat Robertson's frank hypothesis -- even though they are one and the same. Amazing.

2010/1/16 7:36Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here is the link to the article, amazing indeed!

[url=http://www.newsweek.com/id/231004]http://www.newsweek.com/id/231004[/url]

2010/1/16 7:37Profile

Re:

This is why, a proper biblical theology is as or more important than our own subjective christian experience.

2010/1/16 11:11

It's really difficult to pinpoint the problem. Pat Robertson's words don't help.

2010/1/16 14:25
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

This was first published on SI a few years ago, but it's very good to revisit it.

[url=http://biblebasesecondthoughts.blogspot.com/2010/01/tsunamis-earthquakes-genocide-and-love.html]Earthquakes and the Love of God[/url]

2010/1/16 14:53Profile
nearthecross

The lady author of this article accuses Pat Robertson of being malicious, hateful, and narrow-minded. Yet from reading the article it's clear the hate is coming more from her pen than anywhere else.

It's astounding how much the world has attacked Robertson for his recent remarks, frequently quoting him out of context and judging his motives. Though I do believe he should have chosen his words more carefully, the underlying issue at hand is not the accuracy of his statements about Haitian history, but his insinuation that God judges nations and people for their sins. Robertson has received much flak for suggesting that Haiti needs to turn to God and repent. The ungodly don't want to hear this. They will slander, attack, and gnash their teeth at anyone who dare make this claim. As this article demonstrates.

2010/1/16 15:42Profile

Re:

"Pat Robertson's words don't help." snuf-

Amen. I respect Robertson about as much as Paul Crouch. It's no secret that the mainstream American Christian church has a credibility problem. With Rick Warren defending his begging of one million dollars, Joel Osteen telling everyone the say a little prayer after each service and be saved, Kenneth Copeland and Benny Hinn and their jets.... and millions of Christians living like Christ died so they can willfully sin and still be under the blood, gay and lesbian indoctrination in the church. And of course Robertson with his some of his 'rants' and hypocrisies (i.e. Giuliani endorsement and failed prophecies). The reputation of the American church now precedes itself when it speaks on any matter. Don't think that there isn't also a judgment on the church here with not being seen as remotely credible on these issues, even if what is said could very well be true.

There are times when the church will be rejected because of Christ, and times when its rejected because many 'charlatans' are running the show. The salt is losing it's saltiness and the light is getting dimmer.... that's not the world's problem. The world has always been in a degenerative state, and the window of salvation will get smaller for the church to work within this. I'm not seeing a lot of Holy Spirit power in the 'back and forth' between the world and 'the church' in situations like this.

2010/1/16 16:27
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

NO, GOD doesn't hate Haiti; HE hates sin!
There are many Christian relief workers
in Haiti helping build orphanages, teach
school, and helping to ease the suffering
of this poor nation. PRAY FOR THEM !!

2010/1/16 16:49Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I would love to hear the evaluation of a godly person who experienced this earthquake while in Haiti during this time. I have heard godly men, native as well as missionaries, from the Caribbean speak of the hold voodoo has on the people. It is demonic, holds its adherents in grave spiritual bondage. Some are even able to cast spells on people so they die. Knowing this, I am wondering how God is using this earthquake to speak to the people? I suspect there is a larger story behind the obvious which may be forthcoming - eventually.

By the way, I heard one story this morning: a missionary lady had just hung up her wash on the wash line which was near a concrete wall. A few minutes later the earthquake came and that wall fell onto the wash line. Had she been there when it happened she could have been killed. This may not be so significant, but if this young woman had been my daughter, I would be so humbled with gratefulness to the mercy of God that he protected her.

ginnyrose

2010/1/17 23:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy