SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Great Concern: An Overdose of Sermons

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: wayneman

LOL How asute of you!! :)

2010/1/15 22:42Profile

Re: A Great Concern: An Overdose of Sermons

Quote:
by pollux on 2010/1/14 6:46:28 It's possible that many of us here may be hearing sermons or reading them, and yet not be impacted in any way by the Spirit of Christ. It is possible that we may be getting information second-hand and may be misconstruing it for divine revelation. We need to come in direct contact with the Lord, in our personal devotions and our personal life & experience. There is a likelihood that hearing too many sermons can deaden the spirit. We can become like the Dead Sea, always receiving, and never giving out, somewhat like a stagnant pool. It's so important to live the Christian life in a close walk with God in real-time experience, in real-time challenges to faith, in utter dependence on the Lord Jesus Christ. {Wonder if anyone here feels this concern, as I do.}

This is an interesting topic. I would like to add my thoughts on this matter.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site that is available to anyone that wishes to hear and read. But you know, being led to these sermons I tend to leave up to the LORD. For example. I was concerned about something recently that bothered me and I was flipping through the sermons pages and I just picked anyone at random to see what the titles were like and I came across a sermon that seemed to be interesting to which I heard. To my surprise, the preacher not only ministered to my spirit, but also answered my troubling questions. While I was listening to it, I began to thank the Lord for leading me to this sermon, even when I thought I was doing the searching, but He was doing it all from start to finish.

Unless we are ritually hearing a sermon every hour of the day, we can never get enough of hearing the word of God preached. When we leave the leading up to the Lord, He knows when we need to hear the message that He wants to feed us with. It does say, Matthew 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

You know, I find that He builds us up by hearing Him speak to us, reading the word and asking questions, when we leave all of those things to Him, He prepares a message, or even a brother/sister to confirm what we've been hearing or studying. Oh, I love those times, don't you?

It will appear for a long time that we seem to act like the Dead Sea. It will not always be like that. We are growing in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ. As a child or a tender plant growing up in it's environment, it would seem that it's a useless plant because it doesn't bear any fruit. In the process of time it will no longer look like a dead tree. It will produce, that is the promise to which God has invested in us, it will grow, it will blossom and it will bear fruit.

Between the birth of Jesus and His twelfth birthday, He is not known. Between 12 and 30 years of age, He was as if He was the Dead Sea, but finally something happened and He came on the scene at the Jordon. He came around at the right time, His time.

2010/1/15 23:15
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Wayneman was right!

Pollux/Procyon,

I do believe that wayneman hit the perverbial nail on the head with you!

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_and_planetary_systems_in_fiction#Pollux_.28Beta_Geminorum.29]Wikipedia: Pollux[/url]

Quote:
[i]Known Space[/i] series by Larry Niven. The human colony world of We Made [b]It orbits Procyon.[/b] Pierson's Puppeteers are said to have evolved in a solar system with a star similar to Procyon (which later became a red giant).

[i]Terran Trade Authority[/i] books by Stewart Cowley. [i]Procyon is orbited by three planets,[/i] the middle of which, Sisuphos, is a barely habitable mining world.

2010/1/16 0:26Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Wayneman was right!

duplicate

2010/1/16 0:26Profile

Re: Lysa/Wayneman

Instead of indulging in pointless banter that smacks of personal vilification, it would be better as Christians to address the issue which is clearly stated in my first post, and which has been endorsed by several members in their responses to that post.

As Christians, we should never be threatened by the truth, but must humbly ask the Lord to show us where we have gone wrong. We should respond to the truth addressed in the initial post in a spirit of humility and openness. The great concern relates to continually listening to sermons without ever 'learning Christ'.

Let those who have ears to hear, be willing to be admonished. The Lord is interested in the practical life.

2010/1/16 0:55
wind_blows

Re:

Dear Pollux

I think the issue is the way you come across as if yours is the only opinion that matters. You have dismissed the testimony and thoughts of others such as Lysa and Nellie in a very condescending manner. You have not spoken with a Christ like heart toward those who did not agree with your opinions. You have only just come to join in the forum and yet you come in with the attitude of one who knows all and must teach the rest of us how to be Christian.

Brother there is much I am sure that you have to share but that does not mean that others must agree or adhere to your counsel in this. I agree with you that if all one does is listen to sermons and never applies what they learn then it is useless, but that does not mean we can not or should not listen to teachings or read the Word of God. He gives us both to help us grow in Him daily.

If you feel strongly not to listen to any teachings then don't, read your Bible and walk in what the Lord has for you. If others such as myself feel led by the Holy Spirit to read or listen to teachings in addition to reading the Bible then we will walk in what He has for us.

You spoke of "being willing to be admonished", perhaps this is something for you to consider as well in the way you have treated others.

2010/1/16 1:35Profile

Re: windblows

You've used the word 'must' as if I intend to compel people to accept my point of view. Not at all! All that I expressed is a legitimate concern. There is no compulsion, much less 'condescension', in my posts. It is the expression of a CONCERN.

I have never said at any time that we should not listen to sermons. What I'm saying is that we can (the word is 'can') substitute listening to sermons for a real walk with Christ.

Anyway, as I stated earlier, it seems that I have been misunderstood. May God open our eyes to the truth, and may He give us grace to have that 'truth' wrought out into our lives.

2010/1/16 2:36
wind_blows

Re:

Quote:
All that I expressed is a legitimate concern. There is no compulsion, much less 'condescension', in my posts. It is the expression of a CONCERN.

As for me, I am going to step away from this thread. I no longer feel the Lord leading me to continue posting to it.

in Him

2010/1/16 2:57Profile

Re:

Quote:
Between 12 and 30 years of age, He was as if He was the Dead Sea

The years at Nazareth speak of the hidden life, the secret life we must have with God, the years of preparation, unknown to anyone except to God.

The Dead Sea analogy is different.

2010/1/16 5:58
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

We have locked this thread due to the nature of arguing and name calling. Please saints, pray before you post and read carefully the scriptures we put before the submit button.

"The site moderators ask you before you post that you consider praying and ask the Lord if you have the right spirit to serve others in the body of Christ before posting and pressing the submit button. Please also look at these scriptures: Matthew 12:36, James 1:26, Colossians 4:6. "

this thread is locked.

2010/1/16 6:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy