SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Authority

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MattSmith

Webster, Texas

Authority

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I was unable to find anything specific.

Where does authority end and word of faith, name it and claim it begin? There are examples of apostles doing miracles by simply commanding sickness, for example, to leave without specifically praying. I want to exercise authority, but I do not want to sound like a petulant child. Could someone shed some Biblical light on this for me?

As I've read carefully many posts here on SI this will be pretty basic to many. I'm not a new Christian, although I might be, but I am beginning to really pay attention. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

2010/1/13 23:20Profile

Re: Authority

Real authority is spiritual authority. 'Word of faith' is a snare and a charismatic delusion.

Perhaps Watchman Nee can throw some light on what you have been saying about Authority. Have you read him?

2010/1/13 23:58
MattSmith

Webster, Texas

Re:

Pollux, thanks for recommending Watchman Nee. He has a book titled Spiritual Authority, correct? I'll definitely put that on my reading list.

2010/1/14 6:30Profile
dohzman

your example from scripture

Act 13:8 But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith.
Act 13:9 Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him,
Act 13:10 And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?
Act 13:11 And now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon thee, and thou shalt be blind, not seeing the sun for a season. And immediately there fell on him a mist and a darkness; and he went about seeking some to lead him by the hand.

That being said, as to authority. I have known brothers who have sat in silence for days waiting on the Lord because of a certain burden that the Holy Spirit may have laid on them. They who want authority have to be under divine authority and there fore it is of all paths the uttmost narrow path a christian can take. It a hard thing to mix oil with water but to mix real God given authority with WOF teachings? Not sure that can be done. Jesus(the Word of God) said if the lump be corrupt the whole is corrupt, personally I would seek a be a new lump. I think if you would seek with all your heart Jesus, the Lord Himself will direct your heart into His Word and give you direction with confirmation on this issue. Dig deep and enjoy the journey because if you go that way it will be an adventure for a life time. God bless.

2010/1/14 8:57Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Authority

This is purely subjective, so consider that this is just my opinion!! but I think that "authority" is right in front of you; you take authority from the enemy in a given situation.

Name it and claim it is... well, I don't know really what it is but you dont' have it right in front of you!! You're claiming something that you may not need, deserve or even truly want just to heap it on your lusts (for consumption).

This is true authority.....

[i]Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.[/i]
Luke 9:1

2010/1/14 8:58Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

From the way I see it, the word of faith teachings treat the power of the Holy Spirit as a water faucet that you can turn on and off at will. MUCH of what the word of faith movement teaches is Biblically correct. But while the Holy Spirit is acknowledged, they make no room for waiting on Him until you are endued with power, and responding only to His promptings. Indeed, by faith you can command a mountain to be tossed into the sea, and it will obey you. We as Christians MUST speak to the mountains in our lives, and exercise the power of the kingdom through our spoken word. But this must be done according to the Holy Spirit.

Biblical authority teaches, however, that you must rely on the prompting and movement of the Holy Spirit. You must be sensitive to His will and His movement. For you can't do these things apart from His empowerment. The word of faith movement makes "you" the authority, instead of the Holy Spirit. Only when you live, move, and have your being in Him will these things happen.

2010/1/14 9:10Profile
MattSmith

Webster, Texas

Re: your example from scripture

Quote:
They who want authority have to be under Devine authority...

I think that one phrase unlocked the whole thing for me, thank you. And yes, now that it has been said, I think the big difference between WOF and authority is who has the authority. It's not authoritative because I said it, it's authoritative because God wills it. Beautiful, thanks for the help grasping this.

2010/1/14 11:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy