SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Pat Robertson makes some pretty harsh comments against Haiti:

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
BenBrockway

Pat Robertson makes some pretty harsh comments against Haiti:

Pat Robertson makes some pretty harsh comments against Haiti: http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/13/crimesider/entry6092717.shtml

NEW YORK (CBS) Pat Robertson, the American Christian televangelist and host of "The 700 Club," said that Haitians need to have a "great turning to god" while he was reporting on the devastating 7.0 earthquake that shook the island nation — the most powerful to hit the country in a century.

As Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive said "well over" 100,000 people may have died in the national disaster, Robertson took to the airwaves Wednesday on his show and said that the country has been "cursed by one thing after another" since they "swore a pact to the devil."

"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti and people might not want to talk about," Robertson said Tuesday.

"They were under the heel of the French, you know Napoleon the third and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the prince.' True story. And so the devil said, 'Ok it’s a deal.' And they kicked the French out. The Haitians revolted and got something themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after another," Robertson said.

Photo: Injured person in Port-au-Prince, Haiti after 7.0 earthquake, Jan. 12, 2010.

This is not the first time the former Republican presidential candidate has made controversial comments in the wake of national disasters.

He has linked Hurricane Katrina and terrorist attacks to legalized abortion.

"I was reading, yesterday, a book that was very interesting about what God has to say in the Old Testament about those who shed innocent blood…But have we found we are unable somehow to defend ourselves against some of the attacks that are coming against us, either by terrorists or now by natural disaster? Could they be connected in some way?" Robertson said in a September 12, 2005 broadcast of "The 700 Club."

2010/1/13 17:16Profile
stonechild

Regina

Re: Pat Robertson makes some pretty harsh comments against Haiti:

I know that there was a pact with the devil for 200 years and that so called pact was over and done with in 2005. But what nation doesn't have a "pact" with the devil. (i use pact loosely) Ive been to Haiti with an organization called Haiti Arise, which means actively raising individuals to serve and evangelize. It was a blessed time, the harvest is plenty down there but the labors are few. I have been updated with that organization and there ministry seems to be upheld and I am sure in this dire time they need a lot of prayer, Praise God that He is sovereign, no matter what "televangelists" has to say

2010/1/13 17:29Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

The need is great, the suffering is real;
and GOD expects us to meet needs with
kindness and compassion. JESUS WEPT !!

2010/1/13 19:21Profile

Re: Pat Robertson & Haiti

I hope this (Pat's remarks) is not going to raise a controversy. The fact is that Haiti is a nation where a lot of sinister, devilish things have been going on. And God is well aware of that.

However, the need of the hour is for us to pray that the Haitians realize that they need to turn to God. Desperately.

May God be glorified at this hour. May Christian compassion & love win this nation for Christ.

It is not an easy task, but our Lord is on the Throne and may His servants in Haiti preach the gospel with boldness, without fear, and with much love. May Haiti become God's country and not the devil's kingdom.

[I am also grieved over what is happening in Uganda & parts of East Africa with reports of widespread child-sacrifice!)

2010/1/13 19:58
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Romans 8:22, Luke 21:11.

I believe that God is dealing with man with great grace and mercy right now. I am not a dispensationalist, but I would say that this time of living under the new covenant is a period or dispensation of God's grace and mercy being shown to man. I personally do not believe that the earthquake, hurricanes, or any other natural disasters are a result of God pouring out judgment on anyone. There is a day of judgment coming, but I do not believe it is now. It is yet to come and when it comes...

That being said, any person, or nation for that matter, that turns away from God will reap the natural and spiritual consequences of that decision. If I choose to turn from God, Satan will have a hay-day with me. I will open myself up to him to steal, kill, and destroy. I will suffer consequences of my sin. Furthermore, I will not walk in the blessings of God. The same is true of a nation. What I do not believe is that God is judging this nation with an earthquake. One day He will judge the earth and men will cry for the rocks to hide them from that judgment.

The earthquake is a physical result of a fallen world catastrophically reordered by a global flood in which the fountains of the great deep were opened. The Bible says these quakes will become more frequent as we see the day of the Lord approaching.

I personally believe Pat Robertson is wrong in his assessment, and I suspect he would believe I am wrong as well.

We need to pray for the people of Haiti. Pray for their physical needs to be met if we cannot do anything about meeting them ourselves. Help them physically if we can. Most of all pray that many would turn to Christ in this time. Whether one believes this is God's doing or not, we still need to pray for the people of Haiti.

2010/1/13 20:04Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Quote:
Whether one believes this is God's doing or not, we still need to pray for the people of Haiti.

I agree with this completely. I do not follow the news so I was not as aware of this until today but I am praying for the people of Haiti.

God Bless
mj

2010/1/13 20:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

When events like this happen, I cannot help but think of verses like Hebrews 12:25-29. We read there that everything that can be shaken will be shaken. We live in a world that is crumbling and passing away, and the longer it exists, the more it decays. It's only a matter of time before this world in it's present form crumbles and passes away altogether.

Additionally, I've been meditating on Romans 1:18 recently, and I believe the Lord has been teaching me more and more that instead of asking whether individual catastrophe's are the judgments of God, we need to come to see and understand that this present world is always under judgment. The wrath of God is ALWAYS being revealed from heaven against all ungodliness.

I don't believe Pat Robertson is speaking for God. But do I believe God brought about this incident? Most definitely. He is sovereign and He is in control of the world. We may want to disconnect God from this world, but He is not such. He is intimately connected with this world and all of its affairs. This event was ordered of Him.

But in it He wants us all to hear His voice. He is willing that none should perish but that all would come to eternal life. In these shaking's God wants us to hear about the kingdom that cannot be shaken, and turn to Him who lives forever. He has ordained all things, including this thing, that "they might grope for Him and find Him." (Acts 17:27)

2010/1/13 22:10Profile
dohzman

God's random road signs for repentance

Luk 13:1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
Luk 13:2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
Luk 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Luk 13:4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
Luk 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

2010/1/13 22:29Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

Quote:
I am also grieved over what is happening in Uganda & parts of East Africa with reports of widespread child-sacrifice!

We have that in this country, too...1.5 million children a year.

2010/1/13 22:35Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I got this email and am sharing it here for your consideration.
ginnyrose

1.7 Billion Reasons to Defend Pat Robertson

MEDIA ADVISORY, Jan. 14 /Christian Newswire/ -- It is excruciating to see the images of human suffering emanating from Haiti in the aftermath of the devastating earthquake. Prayers and practical compassionate care is truly needed.

But sometimes things are said in the midst of crises that exacerbate the already raw feelings of grieving people. So then what's all the fuss about Pat Robertson's remarks?

I first knew something was up while driving yesterday. I heard two national conservative talk radio personalities make some disparaging remarks about Pat Robertson, who, by the way, is one of the reasons they even have jobs. Pat was one of the most important leaders of a resurgent conservative movement.

When I got home I immediately looked up what Pat said and I was overwhelmed. But not by what Robertson had said, rather by the hype and hysteria of those who took an expression of genuine concern and hope for Haiti's future and used it to bash Pat.

Last week it was Fox News analyst Brett Hume's turn to be attacked because he dared to compassionately urge Tiger Woods to turn to Christianity and find forgiveness and redemption. Now it's Pat Robertson's turn.

Perhaps what we have here is a simple failure to communicate, but then again, what Pat said was not complicated. Or is it that there is so much contempt against Pat Robertson and /or what he represents, that no benefit of the doubt is to be afforded him? Or is there something else in play.

What exactly did Pat say that was so terribly egregious?

First he retold a very familiar story about the history of Haiti about a pact that was made by its revolutionary leaders. In exchange for help in throwing out the French Haiti would serve satan. Some have disputed this ever happened. But what is indisputable is Haiti's history ever since then has been one of incredible suffering.

To use Pat's words, Haiti's history was, "cursed, desperately poor." Then Pat went on to describe the incredible economic disparity between Haiti, which sits on one side of the Island of Hispaniola, and the Dominican Republic on the other side. So was Pat using "cursed" literally or metaphorically?

The modern cynic chaffs at any suggestion that there may be a connection between historical realities and unseen spiritual influences, or as the Bible calls it God's "blessing or cursing." Although most people are very comfortable with the notion that God blesses people, we are not at all comforted with the terrifying prospect that Almighty God might also curse.

The overwhelming majority of Americans believe in God and /or moral causality. Eastern religions call it Karma, but Christians call it God's Providence. I wonder if the reason that so many hate Pat is because he expressed what many Americans don't want to face- the moral and spiritual dimension of our lives.

As long as everything is going well we live as if we are never going to die. Then crisis hits and death slaps us in the face. Rather than humbling ourselves and searching our hearts like the Pilgrims did, we lash out at God and anyone who dares insinuate Him into our lives.

What the Robertson bashers left out is that finally, and with great compassion and concern in his voice, Pat said, "They need to have, and we need to pray for them, a great turning to God and out of this tragedy I am optimistic that some good thing may come, but right now we are helping the suffering people and the suffering is unimaginable."

Agree or disagree with what Pat said, it was well within the bounds of historic Christian theology. Maybe that's the real problem after all.

Man is offended by the fact that he is not God. They resent God's Providence. A simple reading of the Bible shows how God uses natural disasters to further his purposes. Earthquakes, floods, famine, locusts, etc. they're all there, but man hates it. Rather than humbly acknowledging that God's ways are not our ways, man rails against and accuses God. The last thing they will do is cry out for his mercy in Jesus Christ.

So Pat is an easy target. But before you judge him perhaps you ought to know that the whole time he was making these comments they had the number on their screen for their viewers to give to their humanitarian relief organization Operation Blessing. OB has already been at work in Haiti long before the earthquake.

Operation Blessing has touched the lives of more than 209.3 million people in 105 countries and all 50 states, providing goods and services valued at more than $1.7 billion. So, once you have surpassed that, then you will be in a better place to judge Pat Robertson. In the meantime, let's do what Pat is doing and bless the poor people of Haiti.

2010/1/14 9:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy