SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How to approach fellowship/abberant beliefs?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Shamefaced

How to approach fellowship/abberant beliefs?

Hello,
I am looking for some sound advice concerning a situation in our fellowship. I recently had a conversation with a member of our fellowship who stated that Muslims and Christians worship the same god. He had been a sunday school teacher at one point, but this was the first I'd heard from him on the topic. My question is this- What manner of fellowship do I pursue with him? As far as I know, he seems to love the Lord and has not voiced any type of abberant theology like this before. Is it appropiate to pray with him at, say, lunch or somthing, though he holds to this belief? I'm not sure how to treat him in the fellowship sense.

2009/12/28 17:12Profile
Leo_Grace

Re: How to approach fellowship/abberant beliefs?

Dear Shamefaced,

I am amazed how someone so ignorant of Biblical teachings could be given the responsibility of a Sunday school teacher. Your church member may seem to love the Lord, but it is clear that the Lord that he loves is not the Jesus Christ of the Bible -- more an illusion of a Savior that he may have developed without proper scriptural basis.

[i]Jn 14:6 Jesus answered, [color=CC3300]“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."[/color][/i]

The only way to God is through faith in Jesus Christ. Those who believe otherwise may seem kind and loving in a humanist way, but they are ignorant of the truth.

What I believe is appropriate is to show him the truth in Scripture and take it from there. Pray that he will be open to correction and will welcome the opportunity to get to know the real Jesus Christ.

2009/12/28 17:31Profile
flameoffire

Michigan

Your brother may have simply meant that Muslims believe they worship the same God. For truly they do give worship to the God they believe is the Judeo-Christian God. God does not accept their worship because they do not come through Christ. It might be wise to assume he made a semantic error before doing anything drastic.

2009/12/28 17:41Profile

I would approach him kindly and ask" Are you aware of what Islam teaches about God/Christ?

Below are two outlines I presented at the church I go to. hope these help.

What the Quran and Islam say about Jesus Christ

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God:because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Jesus of the Quran and of Islam is a prophet. He is not a savior or the Son of God and most definetly not God.

The Quran, words of Allah delivered to Muhammad by the angel Gabriel

Translation by N.J.Dawood

The Cow
In the name of Allah, the compassionate, the merciful.
2:1 This book is not to be doudted.

5:15 People of the book! Our Apostle has come to reveal to you much of what you have hidden of the scriptures....

5:16 Unbelievers are those who declare God is the messiah, the son of Mary

Repentance
9:30...christians say the messiah is the son of God. Such are the words they utter with their mouths, by which they emulate the infidels of old. God confound them! How perverse they are!

Jonah
10:68 God has begotten a son; God forbid! Self sufficient is He. He is all that the heavens and the earth contain. Surley for this you have no sanction. Would you say of God what you know not? Say,' Those that invent falsehoods about God shall not prosper. They may take their ease in this life, but to Us they shall return, and for their unbelief We shall make them taste the grevious torment.

The Night Journey
17:111...Say.' Praise be to God who has never begotten a Son, who has no partner in His Kingdom, Who needs none to defend Him from humiliation.

Mary
19:88 Those who say,' the Lord of mercy has begotten a Son,' preach a monstrous falsehood, at which the very heavens might crack, the earth split asunder, and the mountains crumble to dust. When they should ascribe a son to the merciful, when it does not become the Lord of mercy to beget one.

Ornaments of Gold
43:82 'Say,(to the christians),'If the Lord of mercy had a son, I would be the first to worship him.

The Holy Bible
Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Matthew 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Matthew 16:16,17 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

Gabriel is confused???? In Luke 1:26 ....And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee named Nazareth.
Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Even the devils knew that He was the Son of God.
Matthew 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

Matthew 11:27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Matthew 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

1 John 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

1 John 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

1 John 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

1 John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

1 John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Revelation 2:18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;

WARNING
1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

1 John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

1 John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

2 John 1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

THIS IS THE SECOND OUTLINE

Diety of Christ denied
The Dome of the Rock

Anti Christ inscriptions (from the Koran) on the inside of the octagonal arcade:
O People of the Book! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning God save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a Messenger of God, and His Word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in God and His messengers, and say not 'Three' - Cease! (it is) better for you! - God is only One God. Far be it removed from His transcendent majesty that He should have a son.
Oh God, bless Your Messenger and Your servant Jesus son of Mary. Peace be on him the day he was born, and the day he dies, and the day he shall be raised alive! Such was Jesus, son of Mary, (this is) a statement of the truth concerning which they doubt. It befitteth not (the Majesty of) God that He should take unto Himself a son. Glory be to Him!
Anti Christ inscriptions on the outside of the octagonal arcade:
In the name of God, the Merciful the Compassionate. There is no god but God. He is One. He has no associate. Say: He is God, the One! God, the eternally Besought of all! He begetteth not nor was begotten.
In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate. There is no god but God.He is One. Praise be to God, Who hath not taken unto Himself a son, and Who hath no partner in the Sovereignty...
He is One. He has no associate. Muhammad is the Messenger of God.
There is no god but God. He is One. He has no associate.
From he Quran
Women
4:171 'People of the book do not transgress the bounds of your religion.Speak nothing but the truth about God.The messiah,Jesus, son of Mary was no more than Gods apostle and His Word which He cast to Mary; a spirit from Him.So believe in God and His apostles and do not say 'three.' Forebear and it shall be better for you. God is but one God. God forbid that he should have a son.

3;63 People of the book, let us come to an agreement that we shall worship none but God, that we will associate none with Him, and that none of us will set up mortals as deities besides God.'

The Table
5:73 'Unbelievers are those that say; 'God is one of three.' there is but one God. If they do not desist from so saying, those of them that disbelive shall be sternly punished.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Denial of Christ crucified

Surah 4:157 They denied the truth and uttered a monstrous falsehood against Mary.They declared: 'We have put to death the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, the apostle of God.' they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but they thought they did.

Most muslims will say that God substituted Judas at the last minute. That it was judas that actually died on the cross. Jesus was instantly translated alive to heaven.

Suggested research material

Quran by Yusuf Ali or N.J. Dawood

Websites

jesustomuslims.org (former muslim)

joel's-trumpet.com (author of ,'The Islamic Antichrist')

youtube islam; what the west needs to know (good video doc but slow in parts)

thirdjihad.com ( by a moderate muslim) fast pace good video on radical islam in America)

2009/12/28 17:49
Shamefaced

Re:

Thanks a bunch for the info, his comment was made in brief, I haven't had any further conversation with him yet... Any other thoughts? What about the fellowship issue?

2009/12/29 10:57Profile

Re:

Well based upon your first post I see no reason to not fellowship with him. if anything fellowship with him more.

Also you may want to speak with your pastor or elder in the church about it.

2009/12/29 11:25
Shamefaced

Re:

What of attempting to exhort him from the scriptures? I can't force him to change his belief (though if we could do that, everyone would be saved...) I know that I must wait on the Holy Spirit to convict the change in his life. What courses of action should I expect from an elder or pastor that I talk to?

2009/12/29 12:28Profile

Re:

Well exhorting from the scriptures is of course our primary means. otherwise it's "thats your opinion" syndrome.

The scriptures I listed in the outline would be a good start.

Of course we cannot "force" conversion to a belief(thats what the muslims do).
However we are to testify of the truth of God revealed in three persons,(which islam condems as false)

I do not know all the "in's and out's" of your situation.
If it were me I would genaraly speak to him as I previously recommended. Then I would "maybe" let an elder that I trust or Pastor know what i had discussed.

Or you could first go to the elder or pastor and share your concerns and get advice on how to proceed with this brother. The pastor /elder may be able to give you reassurance or insight to where you don't even have to broach the subject with this brother.

just thoughts.

2009/12/29 13:04

Re:

There is a difference between Allah and our God, the difference is the name. They may say they worship the same God but our God's name is Jesus Christ.

2009/12/29 16:09
Shamefaced

Re:

Thanks for the insight!

2009/12/29 17:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy