SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : American Churches

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

American Churches

I've been 6 months in this great land of America, and have yet to find a living church. Been to Evangelical, Reformed, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, C&MA, Charismatic, whatever denomination you call it...but almost all of them invariably have no LIFE. The presence of Christ is utterly absent.

The Sunday church service is usually about an hour & a half, at the most 2 hours. The main & only message is usually a powerpoint presentation (what you call a lecture; certainly not a sermon). The speaker is unaware of what they used to call 'divine unction'. He tries to impress with his knowledge of doctrine, and usually fails. There is a terrible smugness in the Reformed churches, sad to say.

The pastors who are from the big seminaries (say, Dallas Theological Seminary) are the ones who know very little about the living Christ. To them Christ is doctrine. They have knowledge in their heads and hardness in their hearts. They are so self-righteous in their 'knowing it all', that it is almost impossible to bring them to repentance.

I say this with deep sadness. I have yet to meet a humble broken preacher or pastor (except maybe one or two in passing). I keep telling Americans: "Have you heard of DL Moody? Harry Ironside? EM Bounds?" Shockingly, few evangelicals have bothered to read their sermons/messages.

The knowledge of the Bible among evangelical Christians in America is abysmal. Many have not read the Bible through even once!

May God have mercy on this nation.

2009/12/24 15:54
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: American Churches

procyon wrote:

Quote:

I've been 6 months in this great land of America, and have yet to find a living church. Been to Evangelical, Reformed, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, C&MA, Charismatic, whatever denomination you call it...but almost all of them invariably have no LIFE. The presence of Christ is utterly absent.

The Sunday church service is usually about an hour & a half, at the most 2 hours. The main & only message is usually a powerpoint presentation (what you call a lecture; certainly not a sermon). The speaker is unaware of what they used to call 'divine unction'. He tries to impress with his knowledge of doctrine, and usually fails. There is a terrible smugness in the Reformed churches, sad to say.

The pastors who are from the big seminaries (say, Dallas Theological Seminary) are the ones who know very little about the living Christ. To them Christ is doctrine. They have knowledge in their heads and hardness in their hearts. They are so self-righteous in their 'knowing it all', that it is almost impossible to bring them to repentance.

I say this with deep sadness. I have yet to meet a humble broken preacher or pastor (except maybe one or two in passing). I keep telling Americans: "Have you heard of DL Moody? Harry Ironside? EM Bounds?" Shockingly, few evangelicals have bothered to read their sermons/messages.

The knowledge of the Bible among evangelical Christians in America is abysmal. Many have not read the Bible through even once!

May God have mercy on this nation.

It is pretty sickening. But please remember that just because you may have run into some pastors from DTS that may not be walking correctly, that fact should not disqualify the other pastors who are from DTS that are walking.

Blessings my friend. I pray that you find what you are searching for. If not, you may need to look at places that you may not expect...in order to find what you seek.

2009/12/24 16:07Profile

Re: DTS

Thank you for responding. I am glad you responded about DTS. I believe that knowledge of doctrine does not translate into 'experience of life'. Those illiterate fishermen (who were Christ's first disciples) had a deeper experience of Christ & life than most seminary-educated graduates of today.
I have seen some of these DTS pastors presiding over what I may call 'dead churches'. And I was deeply saddened. Some of them are in charge of 'prosperous' Reformed-Mennonite churches (what they call Bible Fellowships) in this little state on the East Coast.

2009/12/24 16:17
HeartSong

Re:

I am in the so called "bible-belt" and it is the same here. Finally I have realized that the Lord would have me to be one of the sparks that brings forth life - which is what we are all called to be.

2009/12/24 16:33Profile
shadyg

Re: American Churches

You should give it serious prayer. Maybe the Lord brought you hear for the purpose of calling pastors and churches to repentance.

we speak so much about what's wrong with the church but where are those who who actually go about doing something about it.

2009/12/24 18:18Profile

Re: American Evangelical Churches

I agree that earnest intercessory prayer is needed.
But I am from another part of the globe, and I can say definitely that American evangelism is wishy-washy, and almost totally devoid of the Spirit. I know of instances where American evangelical Christianity has ruined the true work of the Spirit in different parts of the globe, notably, Nepal and East Europe.

2009/12/24 18:23
shadyg

Re:

not trying to be confrotational ....humbly ... what are you going to do about it? Are you willing to be open to God's will for your life?

2009/12/24 18:28Profile

Re:

Humbly...there is a great malaise afflicting the evangelical churches in America. Perhaps, the seminarians need to spend time in Asia, South America and possibly Africa or the remote isles...before they take up pastoring churches. What is lacking is a deep inward experience of the cross. People are caught up with techniques and formulae, rather than with Christ and His cross. Gal 2.20, Phil 3.10, Phil 1.29 :-(

2009/12/24 18:39
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Procyon Wrote: Humbly...there is a great malaise afflicting the evangelical churches in America. Perhaps, the seminarians need to spend time in Asia, South America and possibly Africa or the remote isles...before they take up pastoring churches. What is lacking is a deep inward experience of the cross. People are caught up with techniques and formulae, rather than with Christ and His cross. Gal 2.20, Phil 3.10, Phil 1.29

Procyon: Welcome to SI. I would have to agree with you that if you look at the church overall in America as well as in some other nations in Africa and Asia, the American church falls behind in manifestation of the Holy Spirit. However it is not that way in every local body in America. There are those who not only live out of a deep work of the cross of Christ in their lives, but also walk in the accompanying power of the Holy Spirit. I pray right now that God will connect you with one of those bodies. God placed my wife and I in such a place.

May God richly bless you.

Travis.

2009/12/24 19:29Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote:

HeartSong wrote:
I am in the so called "bible-belt" and it is the same here. Finally I have realized that the Lord would have me to be one of the sparks that brings forth life - which is what we are all called to be.

God wants you to be more than just a spark....

Heb 1:7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

A flame of fire..........

2009/12/24 19:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy