SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 'Coincidence's" in a believers life

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

'Coincidence's" in a believers life

This very well may be a subject that will bring about some interesting conversation.

Every once and awhile and recently I have been struck by the thoughts that just precede their particular 'revelation' if you will. In other words 'coincidences' in the secular way of looking at things, in Christian parlance..I will let you be the judge.

What I am attempting to flesh out here is the how, what, why, who of the Holy Spirit working in a believer. Keeping in mind the basics of what scripture tells us as far as testing all things, keeping a proper balance without jumping to conclusions, falling into the pit of unbelief or just riding the comfy middle road under the guise of 'balance'. I know that sounds like a
contradiction, and it is. Proper balance sounds
like something to hide behind.

Experience's in a believers life.

To quote Lilly Tomlin

"Why is it that when we speak to God we are said to be praying, but when God speaks to us we are said to be schizophrenic?"

Going back to where I started, I find the following in recent days:

I had been pondering the idea of a 'convention' for the members of this site, how great it would be to gather all of us together in one setting somewhere...
Yesterday Zapthycat:

Quote:
I wonder what would/could happen if this site had some sort of a "convention" or prayer meeting somehow

All these interesting ties in regards to Ravenhill's "Why Revival Tarries"/ Tozers
"Pursuit of God" (which I am reading concurrently, and I will shut up about it for
now!)

A couple of day's ago I was pondering the saying "Being so Heavenly minded, they are no earthly good" and how really that it is a ridiculous quote amongst other things.
Yesterday reading WRT/Ravenhill
Quote:
"Someone now warns us lest we become so heavenly minded that we are of no earthly use. Brother, this generation of believers is not, by and large, suffering from such a complex!"

Exactly!

Just a couple of small examples. What about the way you can be seemingly led along certain paths of scripture for a 'season'? For instance you are camped on Gal 5 and you flip on the radio only to hear preaching on the same topic or a discussion
with a fellow believer finds you both in the same topic?
The Holy Spirit?

Surely some things are sown together in bit's and pieces, I may have picked up a piece here and there and not noticed them until now, since they were hidden in the subconscious. Does this all sound 'mystical'? Or is 'mystical' just a convenient code word to hide behind? Why is it that we can be so reluctant to share our experiences if we do believe in the leading of the Holy Spirit? Partly to blame is the abuses of
some that keeps are guard up,* and after some of the nonsense I was expossed to early on I fell into a critical/legalistic train of thought for quite awhile. But life is to short to just
'pretend' so I bring out these things in all their nakedness for the public to view.

What are your experiences? How do you see the Holy Spirit working in your life?
How do you process the thoughts that come through your mind?
What about the enemy of our souls, have you been badgered by him?
What of trials and testing?

Lastly, I want to state that I have been through some travail, some anguish of spirit, the breaking process, purging of the dross. At times I could only just groan, given a taste of how sinful sin is inwarly and outwardly. I highly doubt it is on the level of some of the great men of the past or what Paul went through, nor do I believe I have 'arrived' by any strech of the imagination. For the most part I would say that it would be a 90/10 split, the 90 being that heaviness and the 10 joy, peace. Spurgeon had a great quote that I can't remember exactley along these lines; "I find those moments (closenes, joy, peace) rare, but when they come they are more precious to me than gold." Right now for what ever reason I sense the Lord is near, even as I write it's as if He is standing looking over my shoulder...it's almost overwhelming. I admit that I do have a fear that He will withdraw His presence again, since my experience has been that times like this are rare, a day or two or three maybe, but this is going on probably 10 days now...It's not of me, no, I am sure of it. There is joy, that elusive 'peace that passes all understanding'. I am keenly aware that this may be a 'mountain top experience' and eventually I will have to come back down again (sigh) but as long as I am allowed to stay, I am not moving!;-)
What can I say, my cup runneth over! I love you Lord! Be it here on this mountain or in the fiery furnace where I usually dwell, Your will be done. I praise Your Holy Name!
So how about you?

P.S. I would like to clarify that not all is suddenly right with the world, the church, or the vast numbers of belivers, that there are not million's on their way to an eternal destiny of seperation from God this very week. Hell. (to quote Ravenhill) or that I myself don't need to be about the Lords business...Lord, give me boldness to speak Your words to the lost!

*Since the 'word of knowledge' has been taken to such ridiculous extremes as to become the Christian version of 'the physic hot line', what exactley is it?

2003/8/25 10:19Profile
todd

California

Re: 'Coincidence's" in a believers life ("just happened")

This is wonderful. I actually have been experiencing this blessing for quite some time. When I first got somewhat serious about God (about 2.5 years ago) these "coincidences" started happening. For instance, I would decide to memorize a certain Scripture and then later the same day I would pop in a sermon, not knowing it's content, and it would be all about the Scripture. Or not being sure whehter my groaning in intercession is fleshly or genuine and when I open my eyes my finger is on the Greek for "labor, toil, travail." And not like I had opened my Bible with the purpose of doing the "random finger point" thing but it had "just happened" to be open to that page and I had "just happened" to fall on my face into it and my hand had "just happened" to fall on the page and my pointer finger had "just happened" to land on the word. Or after I had a great vision during my first time of concentrated meditation in silence and when I get in my car the song that "just happens" to be playing confirms it all in a profound and obvious way.

Or just yesterday I was studying Romans and meditating on and pondering the concept of "propitiation" and also sporadically checking this site to keep up with the threads when I "just happened" to run across a post about Ron Bailey's sermons being on this site and I look at them and he "just happened" to have a sermon on this very subject (which I highly recommend).

This kind of thing has a been a very normal and powerful part of my spiritual life especially in terms of my faith.

At first I would tell my friends because I was so excited. I would tell them, "It's like God saying 'Hi' to me." And they would give a polite "cool" and I would get sad. I don't think all Christians walk in this blessing and so it either makes them sad or jealous or think you are crazy. The last part, thinking we're crazy, is ok with me, but the others can be a stumbling block to people who don't walk in it.

I have learned that these things, at least for me, are great pearls that should rarely, if ever, be thrown about. I treasure these things in my heart (like Mary did the sayings about her son). They encourage, refresh, and bless me. But I think it's wise to use caution and discernment in speaking openly about this "phenomenon."

I think this leads to greater intimacy with God.

My encouragement to anyone who does walk in this blessing is to [b]write it down[/b]. Keep a log of these things. When I go back and look at mine, it increases my faith. I think the devil will try many tactics to try and persuade you not to write it down. He'll say things like "Oh it's not really worth the time and effort, you'll remember anyway." But I have found this not to be the case with many things. Don't let him keep you from reaping the full rewards of this manifestation of God's grace. God loves for us to simply remember and meditate upon what He has done for us and shown us. It puts us in a healthy posture of thanksgiving and praise that is good to have as we enter into His courts.

Another thing. Some might not find these kind of experiences that impressive or for some other reason they may have a hard heart about it and so God probably won't allow them to enter into the blessing. I have found this principle to be true with many spiritual things. But I have found this forum to be an especially wonderful atmosphere to be farily open in.

And as wonderful as it is, and as much as I love and treasure every moment of it, I long to hear His true voice. My faith has been growing lately concerning hearing God's true (yes, audible) voice. We say God "speaks" to us but commonly we really men God somehow "communicates" with us through events in our life, "coincidence", etc. But I want Him to truly speak to me. But I won't (and don't) despise the small beginnings. On the contrary I treasure them. And I won't limit God in my life.

2003/8/25 12:13Profile

Re:

Interesting thread! Let me say first of all to Todd that I think a desire to hear God's voice is commendable however, I have only known a few people in my life that have ever heard God this way and it has always been a rebuke to get their attention. He does however speak to us in the "still small voice" frequently. This is that little nudge you get or gentle prompting. An intuition or inward sense. That is the voice of God. We have been promised that if we are Christ's sheep then we will hear his voice. That is as He leads us and guides us. It can happen in the subtle ways that you have suggested. I like your thought of God smiling at you. I also think that if we seek for such signs as the audible voice of God we are very likely to be deceived because we have opened ourselves up to the possibility of deception. We must proceed with caution using the written Word as our guidepost and take soundings like sailors on a ship.

I do think that God does take delight in showing Himself real to us. I remember one night a couple of years back I was lying in bed talking to my wife before going to sleep. I said to her that I would really like to hear from my natural Father sometime so I could speak to Him about Christ and what He has done for me. It had been almost 20 years since I had any contact with him. The next night after I got home from work I got a phone call and it was my Father! Needless to say I was excited that God had heard my request not even prayed directly to Him but was a cry of my heart spoken aloud. I took it very seriously and was able to write him a very lengthy letter giving my testimony and a straight presentation of the gospel. He has never been a religous person but he seems to have been affected by what I wrote. God knows even the meaning of our sighs!

Kevin

2003/8/25 17:18
todd

California

Re:

Quote:
"He does however speak to us in the "still small voice" frequently."

I know this is the common experience today, but it doesn't seem so in the Bible. It seems that in the Bible hearing God's audible voice when referring to GOd speaking was the rule, and anything else the exception. God may communicate to us through many different means such as prophecy or the "still small voice." But God plainly speaking to us means just that, speaking. This is not a metaphorical speaking like "oh, this poem just spoke to my heart." That's great, but the poem didn't actually speak (verbalize) to you. Some might be looking at a wall and thinking a conversation is happening.

When I opened up Acts tonight the first thing I saw was this:
Acts 10:19-20
"And while Peter was reflecting on the vision, the Spirit said to him, 'Behold, three men are looking for you. But arise, go downstairs, and accompany them without misgivings; for I have sent them to you."

Just normal Bible.

Quote:
"That is the voice of God."

I would say that is [i]a[/i] voice of God. Yes, I suppose He has many voices. Yes, that may be the voice of God in one sense, but it's in the metaphorical sense.

Quote:
"We have been promised that if we are Christ's sheep then we will hear his voice."

Yes, and this can come in many form I suppose. Try and see how many instances you can find in the New Testmanet where someone describes God as having spoken to them in "the still small voice" or "speaking to their heart" in an unclear manner. Is it there at all? It seems that when they said "God spoke" they meant it in a very clear and plain way.

I think it's a tragedy that most Christians don't expect this today. I think it has to do with how far we are from knowing God. We are not intimate with Him and so we don't expect him to break into our reality and really say something clearly to us. To guide us in this manner.

I want God to invade my reality!

If you have no expectancy and no faith for it, if your attitude is "well I guess, technically, He [i]could[/i] do that, but I won't count on it" then you have no grid for it and I believe you are limiting God in your life. And that may not be sin, it's just sad.

Quote:
"It can happen in the subtle ways that you have suggested."

Yes I agree. And like I said, I love it. But I just want more. And I am expecting for it to happen.

Quote:
"I have only known a few people in my life that have ever heard God this way..."

I don't even personally know anyone who hears God this way. I also don't know anyone personally that regularly receives powerful visions, goes around healing people, casts out demons, and raises the dead. So what? I'm going for it all. I want to have faith for all that is good and all that God has for me. What, He doesn't want us to walk in this manner? And if we know it's good, why not believe for it?

Quote:
"I like your thought of God smiling at you."

Glad to hear it. Then you probably will like this as well. I think I read it last week:
"You can always smile at the world when God smiles on your soul."
-Evan Roberts

Quote:
"I also think that if we seek for such signs as the audible voice of God we are very likely to be deceived because we have opened ourselves up to the possibility of deception."

I think this is very costly and debilitating thinking. Why does seeking to hear God's audible voice open us up for any more deception than seeking to hear and other kind of voice? I think it's the other way around. SO we should not seek for powerful visions or any other sign, wonders, and miracles either?

I think it is a commmon tragedy today that we give the devil more credit to deceive than the Holy Spirit to lead us into all truth.

Quote:
"We must proceed with caution using the written Word as our guidepost and take soundings like sailors on a ship."

Is this how they proceeded in Acts? Is this prescription for seeking God even in the Bible? If we know HIm intimately then we will know His voice. Right? And if He loves us as much as the Bible says He does, will He let us be deceived? Yes, it's possible that He may do this to test us, but that's why we need each other and to know Him intimately.

That's wonderful about your father. I hope that the seed you planted gets watered somehow and brings forth fruit. Either way, way to be obedient brother.

2003/8/26 1:33Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Thanks Todd,
Had a funny feeling I would here from you on this one! ;-)
Yes that was in essence what I was driving at, that 'linking' together type of thing..
Interestingly I came in about midway through Chuck Swindoll's message today...want to take a guess what he was discussing? :-D I am going to have to do some follow up on that, I just had to laugh and smile, right along these lines...

[b]"Write it down"[/b]
You are so right about that, was keeping journals for quite awhile, and yeah I do believe it is a ploy of satan to keep us from it, just like prayer or anything else that is a threat to his schemes. And it is great to be able and go back and re-read the things you are learning, the experiences you have had, because you [i][b]don't[/b][/i] remember them! And they are very encouraging, to see where you have been or if you have become complacent, I know I have a few that are expressed in exhortation like "Don't forget THIS!"....And Dreams! There is another whole topic in itself.....

Quote:
I have learned that these things, at least for me, are great pearls that should rarely, if ever, be thrown about. I treasure these things in my heart (like Mary did the sayings about her son). They encourage, refresh, and bless me. But I think it's wise to use caution and discernment in speaking openly about this "phenomenon."

I do like this qualifier and purposely held back some things that are so....bizarre?! That I don't know what to make of them :-D as well as some that are just very personal that you just have a sense that the Lord wants kept confidential.
Having said all that, I still think there is room for an open and honest discussion of these things.
My Dad installed a healthy caution in me in regards to 'not believing everything you hear" and with my past experiences in this walk I lean a lot on discernment, imperfect as it is, err on the side of caution. Not really looking for validation, I just wonder how the Holy Spirit is working in others lives and I love hearing peoples testimonies.

It is difficult to share these things for some and I can understand that, as you stated, you never know the reaction you are going to get.
Not that I worry about it either if someone thinks I am loopy (little do they know that I already am!)
Maybe I was searching for some 'commonalities' (yeah, I know, I put everything in 'quotations'!)
that's probably not the right word, how about 'Does this ever happen to you?'
Quote:
But I have found this forum to be an especially wonderful atmosphere to be farily open in.

Yep! You don't feel that you need to be so guarded because everyone wants to help get to the same place.. It's like I finally found a place where people 'get it' (there he goes again!)

Quote:
And as wonderful as it is, and as much as I love and treasure every moment of it, I long to hear His true voice. My faith has been growing lately concerning hearing God's true (yes, audible) voice. We say God "speaks" to us but commonly we really men God somehow "communicates" with us through events in our life, "coincidence", etc. But I want Him to truly speak to me. But I won't (and don't) despise the small beginnings. On the contrary I treasure them. And I won't limit God in my life.

Like when God said "This is my Son" audible?
That's incredible if that's what you mean, I would imagine I would be flattened and trembling to hear His voice in that fashion, but in no way would I discount that and in effect that's what I was hoping to bring out here. I mean we are talking about GOD here, the one who spoke and here we are and we are talking about HIM! The One who said that nothing is impossible for Him, The One who condescended to put on a human exterior and walk on this part of His creation, even to be crucified by His own creatures! He that is so far beyond us it's like we are trying to collect His thought's as if we were collecting grains of sand one grain at a time from all the beaches and desserts on earth only to find that there is still more sand on a hundred billion planets...we are not even behind being close to how immense God is. This is not even close.......Whew, went off on a little tangent there...Where was I?
Oh yeah, I wouldn't put anything past Him.

I need to go back to this whole 'heavenly minded' thing. It's an insult, what is that supposed to mean? It's like it's backwords, how can we be any 'earthly good' if we are not heavenly minded?
Seems to me that we can be so preoccupied with the world that we don't even know where we are headed, let alone why. I don't know what's got into me lately (that's a lie, yes I do) It's like I am seeing for the first time all these things that I have known all this time..like somebody handed me a new pair of glasses," Here, try these" Wow! Now I can see!...once I was blind and now...
Incredible, I have to thank this site for much of this, for the Lord leading me here, for Tozer and Ravenhill and Sparks and Wilkerson, Cymbala, and more, for all of you (you know who you are)
This is starting to sound like an award speech!
For Greg, our webmaster, for stepping out in faith to start this whole thing.
A.W. Tozer has given me a grand view of God, of Jesus and the Holy Spirit is just working all of this into a...well I'll be, I am out of words!
It is and has been my hearts desire to just know Him, for the Lord to be real, something I can touch and feel and this is just a taste. The world can have it all, take it, all the rust prone, fire fuel stuff. Don't want it, need it or care for any of it.
Oh taste and see that the Lord is good!
I pray that the Lord will pour out His Spirit on all of you!
Mike
P.S. I just noticed another reply (and still want to get to Ktrek) as I went to post this...need to get some sleep, so I will catch up tommorow

2003/8/26 2:07Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

All right I lied!

Quote:
I want God to invade my reality!

YES! EXACTLEY!

Oh, God bless you Todd!
There is too much in here to respond to right now, just wanted to let you know that you are an encouragement to me!
Mike

2003/8/26 2:13Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Todd, you are killing me here!
And I mean that in the nicest possible way!

Quote:
I don't even personally know anyone who hears God this way. I also don't know anyone personally that regularly receives powerful visions, goes around healing people, casts out demons, and raises the dead. So what? I'm going for it all. I want to have faith for all that is good and all that God has for me. What, He doesn't want us to walk in this manner? And if we know it's good, why not believe for it?

I am going for it all! Yes, a thousand times YES!
Something that is just drawing me in is how Tozer describes the [i][b]reality[/b][/i] of God, I can't find exactley what I wanted but here's a snippet:
"In the midst of this great chill there are some, I rejoice to acknowledge, (and so do I!Mike)who will not be content with shallow logic. They will admit the force of the argument, and then turn away with tears to hunt some lonely place and pray, "O God, show me Thy glory." They want to taste, to touch with their hearts, to see with their inner eyes the wonder that is God."
A.W. Tozer "The Pursuit of God"
Quote:
And if He loves us as much as the Bible says He does, will He let us be deceived? Yes, it's possible that He may do this to test us, but that's why we need each other and to know Him intimately.

Well said, another thought that has been making rounds in my head is the idea that we talk [i][b]about[/b][/i] God amongst ourselves or to others, we listen and read [i][b]about[/b][/i] God, but do we ever stop and realize that it's not as if He never hears any of this, that He is only 'listening' when we are in the prayer closet, or in a 'worship' setting (I know, worship is much more than gathering to sing songs). That the very words we are using right now are all before Him...sometimes it seems like we are talking behind His back, like He is not 'here' in the building so to speak. I don't know if I can draw this out properly or if I am conveying what I want to say....I have always wondered why preachers don't address God more while they are preaching, vocally, in front of the congregation, about the only one that I can think of would be David Wilkerson "A call to Anguish" comes to mind. Oh God You are here! In our midst! Even Your Son said as much,"Where two or three are gathered in My name". Lord open our eyes ever wider, expand the capacities of our hearts and open our ears so we may hear! You are not far from any of us, closer than we know, show us a glimpse of Your army of angels to us as You have in the past. Show us our sin so we may repent before You and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. You are Holy Holy Holy Lord God Almighty! We love You because You first loved US!! Pour out Your Spirit on us Lord in ever increasing measure, we have grown tired of the superficial of playing games, I pray Lord that You would stir us to do Your bidding, to accomplish what we are here to do, to see You intervene in a way that is unmistakably You! Lord send a revival of grand proportions on this land, it must be from Your hand, all our schemes have failed You, only that which is born from above Has any effect whatsoever. The ruler of this world seems to have hold on this generation, but You are soverign over ALL! Must we be reduced to Sodom and Gomorrah? Are we not living in an equally abominable time? Must there be destruction before and to awaken this world? Was not 9/11 enough? Did we not fail when they came, seeking answers? Oh Lord forgive us this sin. The world has grown cold and it is as You have stated it would be. Show us what we must do. Lord I don't even pretend to know what I am asking for, what the cost is, nonetheless, not our will, but Yours be done, in Jesus name. Amen.

2003/8/26 11:20Profile
todd

California

Re:

Quote:
"Well said, another thought that has been making rounds in my head is the idea that we talk about God amongst ourselves or to others, we listen and read about God, but do we ever stop and realize that it's not as if He never hears any of this, that He is only 'listening' when we are in the prayer closet, or in a 'worship' setting (I know, worship is much more than gathering to sing songs). That the very words we are using right now are all before Him...sometimes it seems like we are talking behind His back, like He is not 'here' in the building so to speak."

Yeah I know what you mean. It's so great when you can have regular God-consciousness. I think this is what "Practicing the Presence" is kind of about, though I haven't read it yet. It's having unhindered God-consciouness. We can't get too much of that.

It also brings to mind the fact that we will give and account for every careless word we speak (Matt. 12:36).

And I think that as we simply realize His presence, the more it will be revealed to us. I think simply realizing His presence might be like seeking His face. That is, seeking His presence (check out Ron Bailey's sermon "Propitiation").

Quote:
"Todd, you are killing me here!
And I mean that in the nicest possible way!"

Thanks. And you are encouraging me too.

2003/8/27 3:02Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Hi Todd,
I had made mention of the "Practice of the Presence" elsewhere in the forum, did you come across that or is this another one of those 'coincidences'? :-P

Here's the link:

Brother Lawrence

There are various file formats available, my copy that I have had for a few years now is only 23 pages and it has become embeded in my thoughts.

Also, have the sermons you mentioned downloaded and had thought I would burn them to CD this morning for todays listening pleasure! Another one of those....? :-D

Thanks Todd

2003/8/27 9:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy