SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : When God Hides His Face

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MJones

Missouri

When God Hides His Face

I can relate to the ups and downs that David so clearly expressed in the Psalms. He was utterly dependent on God for everything: guidance, provision, protection . . . even his frame of mind.

I noticed this years ago in a line he wrote; “And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved. LORD, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled.”

When you are as utterly dependent on God for everything, as David was, it can be very troubling when He hides His face. It is like being lost. You don’t know what to do or how to think. Nothing makes sense.

I have found when I am troubled, it is because I am trying to figure things out and can’t. I pray for Him to help me but He doesn’t. Eventually it occurs to me, He doesn’t want me to figure it out; He wants me to be still and experience the benefit of His being my God.

It is then, when I still my efforts, that I hear the whisper that sooths my troubled frame of mind. His way, as simple as it often is, comes into focus. It is the answer that I had wrestled to find.

When God hides His face, I think it is His way of saying, ‘I don’t want you to figure it out. [b]I[/b] want to show you what you're looking for. I want to show you that I am God'.

2009/12/13 10:56Profile

Re: When God Hides His Face

Quote:
When you are as utterly dependent on God for everything, as David was, it can be very troubling when He hides His face. It is like being lost. You don’t know what to do or how to think. Nothing makes sense.

What I find troubling too is that when you do face these times and you just peep a little this to some Christians and they don't understand why you should be going through this. Like trying to dig up a reason as to why your here, "maybe you've sinned" and "maybe God is mad at you" these are just some answers that are given.

Our prayers a way back when were, "Oh God I want to know you, whatever it takes to rid me of things that are in the way and to purify my heart....do it!". We knew what we were saying, but we didn't know what it would take to utterly count the cost. This is counting the cost. It's sticking with the program and not backing down, not giving up, but just standing until there is courage to move forward again.

When it happens and all seems to go to hell in a hand basket, it seems God is far away, and as you said, nothing makes sense. Everything you touch falls apart, you try to build and it falls down. Oh if only one could see the joy that is set before us, then it would probably be a little bit easier to endure. But surprisingly His strength causes us to endure, causes us not to lose our minds, even causes us not to go back into our old ways. (though at times we may, no excuse though).

2009/12/13 13:25
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: When God Hides His Face

MJones and Dt, I appreicated what you both shared.

Thank you MJones, I always appreciate your gentle spirit.

2009/12/13 13:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy